LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
hacker51
User

Default byf 41 black widow

What would the value be for on that is all matching correct including two mags. Grips are correct as well as the mags. Serial # is 127 "u" the last two digits of the serial number are on all parts where suppose to be as well.
hacker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default value...

Hello, value is very much tied to condition and originality... you have to establish that first, then you can assess value with the two matching mags.... .. best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Attach pictures, taken straight on of all surfaces, best taken outside under overcast sky, no flash, with a good camera (not smartphone).

Same with magazines & holster, if any. Try to get good sharp pictures of all markings.

Then, the Great Gods of LugerForum can evaluate your Luger and tell you exactly why it is not what you think it is.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Given the high percentage of "widows" that had non-numbered grips and magazines, I'll withhold value estimates until we have lots of photos.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,175 Times in 393 Posts

My thought is..."It's worth at least $1.00". Photos are the only way to get an opinion. It's like asking "what is a blue car worth?"
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Tiburon0551
New User

Default BYF 41 Grips

is there a historical certainty that the BYF 41 grips were serialized. If so, where is the source of such information? In which book appears?
Tiburon0551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon0551 View Post
is there a historical certainty that the BYF 41 grips were serialized. If so, where is the source of such information? In which book appears?
Sergio,

Welcome to the Forum.

No, there is no historical certainty that all byf41 pistols had grip panels that were serialized. However many observed panels have an Eagle 655 stamp on them. And some none.

Quite the contrary. Dating back to as early as 1939, observed data would indicate that Mauser did not serialize all of the grip panels. Although some serialized panels are observed.

Source: The Mauser Parabellum. The subject is extensively discussed.

Hope this helps.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
hacker51
User

Default BYF 41 Black Widow Update Pictures

Like I said before it is a three digit serial number 127 "u" BYF 41 all numbers matching. Still trying to figure out how to post and take pictures of this Luger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	69593

Last edited by hacker51; 10-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 10-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
hacker51
User

Default BYF 41 Black Widow Update Pictures

Few more pitures

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	69595

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	69596
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Am I correct that your original post stated that both magazines were numbered to the gun?
dju
Unread 11-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

If you could give us some up close and detailed pictures we could probably help you out, but we need some good photos, as flash photo burns out the middle and leaves the rest far too dark to see anything. Pictures need to be taken outdoors, in open shade works good especially on a cloudy day.

Welcome to our Luger forum!
Unread 11-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Am I correct that your original post stated that both magazines were numbered to the gun?
dju
He never said "matching". He said "correct grips and magazines", which looks like they are.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
Peter S
User

In the "u" block there is a good chance that it originally came with 2 numbered aluminum bottom magazines.
Unread 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Regardless, I'm seeing a pretty run-of-the-mill BYF41 with plastic grips and generic magazines. As for value, I'd ballpark it between $1500 and $2k. Anyone?
dju
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
In the "u" block there is a good chance that it originally came with 2 numbered aluminum bottom magazines.
Peter,

I agree and would say that it "probably" did have walnut grip panels when it left the factory.

I would go further and say that the magazines with it did not even exist when this pistol was made. Note the black plastic bottoms. Note the right side up orientation of the P.08 stamps.

Mauser first started using Haenel type magazines in 1940. They had a 122 manufacturer code. Then in 1941, the code was changed to fxo and the requirement to stamp parts with P.08 came into effect. Problem: they stamped the P.08 upside down.

Then production was shifted to August Menz who built the Haenel magazines under license. They got the P.08 right. But by now we are late 1941 and the bottoms are still aluminum base.

Then production started at Manteuffel and Company, using forced labor,and the design shifts to black plastic bottoms. This is the type 6 magazine that is most commonly seen. But we are in 1942 by this time.

I really hate to get on my soap box but too many good and righteous 1941 guns were turned into Black Widows because they garnered a little more money. I fear this is one of them.

But again: JMVHO

John
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 11-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
hacker51
User

No I didn't say the magazines were numbered to gun, I said it came with two original black widow P08 Magazines.
Unread 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
hacker51
User

I hate to bust everyone's bubble here downing the originality of the two black widow mags or the Luger it's self. This luger is a vet bring back. I know everyone has there own opinion.
Unread 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #18
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It is more than just opinion.

Lugers within a certain date and serial range have known and proven features. If an example is presented with features that do not correspond to every other example that is known or has been documented, chances are that the pistol presented has been altered.

Maybe the vet did acquire it as is. That does not mean it left the factory that way. High end collectors look for factory original guns. Any alterations, regardless of how they occurred, lower market value.

Last edited by alanint; 11-13-2017 at 10:23 AM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 11-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #19
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker51 View Post
I hate to bust everyone's bubble here downing the originality of the two black widow mags or the Luger it's self. This luger is a vet bring back. I know everyone has there own opinion.
Peter,

Further to Doug's post, collecting and this board is not about "bursting anyone's bubble". It's about providing the best possible information based on the data that is presented.

Now...with respect to the statements about FACTORY originality and the piece being a VET BRINGBACK, there is nothing mutual exclusive. Both statements can be true. Equally, it is not valid to assume that all "Black Widows" were manufacturered in the USA.

Please recognize that walnut grips were extremely fragile. Just ask any collector who has splintered one while removing it. Replacement grips were walnut or plastic. Replacing grips is one of the most common field maintenance tasks.

Following close behind in combat situations is the loss or damage to the magazines. Again replacements in this time frame were Haenel types, most with black plastic bottoms.

So the vet could have acquired the piece as it exists here without it being factory original.

But, vets like war stories. I know as I am a combat vet. While not common, it is not unknown for a vet to add an SS Badge to war trophy. Or claim, a piece was taken from a Gestapo agent or SS Colonel. Or swap out some pieces to say it was a SS weapon. I never heard of anyone who said the gun was taken from some Feldwebel even though they were the probable rank; as Field Grade Officers would never be caught dead wearing a P.08. Or most likely picked out of a stack of P.08s laying in a warehouse or courtyard. Guns in one pile and magazines, accessories in other piles.

Now, I am not saying that any of the above is the real story. But we have to rely on data and statistics. Thousands, if not 10's of thousands, of P.08s have been studied, examined and recorded. Records exist of orders issued by various levels of command affecting the production of the P.08. We also identify manufacturing changes that have occurred within Mauser. From all this data, we collectors infer things.

Like; we know an order was issued at a date but implementation was phased in. Then we look at serial numbers in a stream of production to identify about when changes occurred. Then we develop patterns; e.g. we see two P.08s with the same characteristics and then observe a serial number between them. If it has the same characteristics, we say that it is "probably" original. If it displays differing characteristics then we begin to suspect a subsequent action created the piece and that it did not leave the factory that way. Equally, on higher level we can develop generalities and probabilities based on statistics.

Just wanted you to know that we collectors do not take any joy in bursting bubbles. We love guns and collecting. But collecting is all about knowing what you are collecting. And...unfortunately collecting costs money and the value of a piece is significantly affected by its degree of originality. So..we pay a lot a attention to the adjectives used in describing a particular piece.

Apologies for using so many words.

Hope this helps.

John
The following 14 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,555 Times in 954 Posts

And get rid of the Black Widow designation. This was a marketing scheme of you know who. Never was such a thing only lugers with black grips and mags. Please get rid of this. Bill