LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Steinar
User

Default Merry Christmas from Svalbard

I recently moved to Svalbard, going to stay here troughout the winter. There is internett here, but I'm going to live in a hunting cabin without electricity, so I will probably not be very often in the forum from now.
As protection against polar bears within Longyearbyen I use a Luger, elsewhere a A3 rifle. (it's illegal not to carry firearms here, strangely enough, since it's so quiet en peacefull)

Wish you all a Merry Christmas ans a happy new year!
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
ToggleTop
User

Hello Steinar,

To you in Norway I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And I thought I still lived a primitive life compared to others. What are you heating the cabin with? Is it a log cabin? What is your source of food and water? How much daylight do you have? How much snow do you have on the ground? As you can see I am quite interested in your living conditions compared to mine. One thing I know I do not have any polar bears where I live. I only have bobcats, a panther once in awhile and those pesty copperheads keep getting in the house. I love to hear the owls hoot at night and the whipperwills in the evening. Let us know how you are doing.

Regards,
ToggleTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
pipeman45
User

You know,I bet it's soo peaceful BECAUSE everyone is carrying firearms! Good luck and watch out for those bears.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
Steinar
User

Hi! I'm now bying food and supplies for the winter, it's best to do so in Longyearbyen because there are no tax here. (food, ammunition, fuel, liquor etc. are quite cheap
There are no trees here on Svalbard, I'm going to use the remains of an older hunting cabin as heating source. As water and food source I'm going to use snow, birds called "rype" and seals. I'm going to sell the skinn from the seals. If I dont get enough food, I can use a snowmobile to Longyearbyen.
Btw. there are no direct daylight here. Looking forward to see the sun

Well.. off I go, takes 4-5 hours to drive with snowmobile so I must hurry.

I have never seen a bobcat T.T, hope I get the chance someday!!

Mery Christmas!
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
John -Melb
User

Isn't it a wonderful world.
We're expecting 34 C and sunshine here tomorrow. Sun comes up about 06-30am and goes down about 9-00pm (local daylight saving time) this time of year. I couldn't get leave over Christmas, but I've got two weeks off in mid-January when I'm taking the family to Wilson's Promontory for a week. Living in tents and swimming every day. Biggest problem is keeping the Beer cold and the bait from going off!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all LugerForum members.
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

Morgan Kane,
I just mailed my Christmas card to some Norwegian friends that I have in Norway. They live in Borgheim and I plan to visit someday. I would love to make a list of Norwegians who are on the forum so I can visit someday and see your Lugers and maybe even buy some Luger accessories. My goal is to someday cross the Arctic Circle.

I have seen pictures of the cabins that you speak of. They actually look pretty comfortable considering that they don't have electricity or running water. I will have to find my map of Norway. It sounds like you are way up in Northern Norway. The landscape really changes as you go north.

I have not found Svalbard on my bad map but I just read a nice article on the many small islands of Svalbard. It sounds like you could encounter many polar bear and musk oxen. Its doesn't sound like a very friendly place to be, weather wise, during the winter. I think that I would sooner spend my winters in Spain and then maybe my summers in Svalbard. What would a musk oxen eat in the winter?

I have also heard of the pancake houses that cross country skiers use in Norway. It sounds like there is a lot of freedom in your country.
Big Norm

Last edited by Big Norm; 12-24-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
Steinar
User

Hi! I'm now back in Longyearbyen to by some extra food and liqour for the next months
Big Norm; I'm not in northern Norway, but in an island further north. It's under Norwegian controll, but not directly a Norwegian island. Everyone, of any nationality can live here. For more info you can visit www.svalbard.com
There are no musk oxen here, but you can find them in Dovrefjell Norway. They kick the snow away and find their food just like reindeer at winter.
If you plan to spend the summer in Svalbard, be prepared for quite cold weather and be sure the sun has come back. If not it is "night" 24hours a day
I think the pancake houses you refer to are cabins that is open and free for everyone to use. As long as you leave enogh cash to cover the food. There are many of there all over Norway, and often in very nice places. I can try to find a map over these if interested
If you plan to visit northern Norway, I suggest driving up the north coast. Maybe take "Hurtigruta" that is a boat that goes from Bergen to Kirkenes. It goes in many of the fjords.
I have lived in Kirkenes for several years, close to the russian border. But I now live in Trondheim, Svalbard is just temorary to experience the nature during the winter. It wold be nice to meet other forum members!

Happy new year to everyone!