LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
champ7fc
User

Post value

I am interested to know the average annual appreciation of a collectable Luger. Do any of you veteren collectors care to make a stab at a figure? I would assume that the value would be better expressed in a percentage than a hard monetary value. I am collecting as an investment and a hobby. I am curios to know if this information exists.
Thanks to All, Craig
Unread 01-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
wterrell
User

Since the development of the internet and online auction houses, all estimates of appreciation of value are out-the-window. Therefore, no one is presently writing books of Luger values.
Lugers on the lower end of value have seen increases from 50% to 100% in the past couple of years. Collector Lugers on the upper end of value have not shown such dramatic increase. 3% to 5% is good for that category, but there are always anecdotal stories of major coups where the irresistible salesman met the irresponsible buyer.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
Doug G.
User

Craig, I think that you will find the answer to your question very elusive. When I consider a purchase or trade for a Luger I usually will take out my collection (14 years worth) of The Blue Book of gun values. I will open up three or four and see what the guns have done in several years time. You will notice that usually only 95% or better guns really go up rapidly. Now realize that the Blue Book is usually low by about $100-$200 on collector guns. I would also keep to $1500 or less guns as they are the easiest to sell if needs be.
To answer your original question I would guess that 95% or better guns appriciate 2-3% per year.
Unread 01-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Craig, If you are entering into this arena with investment in mind you may want to consider accoutrements as well as the pistols. There are many collectable items such as shoulder stocks, cleaning rods, holsters, tools, paper items, lanyards etc. that are escalating in value as rapidly if not more so than pistols.

It has always seemed to me that if you stick with the high quality and rare pieces you will be better served. Easier to buy too as you do not need a liscense. Good luck! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Probably 20 years or so ago, I kept an informal track of Luger prices. In the '70s and early '80s the value of my collection appeared to appreciate about 15% a year. Lately, as Wes observed, values are all over the place. Between "boosting" and folks with a lot of disposable income getting into the game, there are a considerable number of escalated prices showing up, particularly with the more rare specimens. I think this is pretty much the same trend as in other collecting fields. As more and more people get into the hobby, there are fewer prime pieces to go around.

I have always gone with the attitude that I buy the best I can and stick to a theme (mine is Imperial era, particularly grip safety contract models). This means fewer purchases, but a better collection. As Tom A says, â??you can always get more moneyâ? but you donâ??t always get a second chance at a desirable buy. Unfortunately, it isnâ??t always easy to come up with the money when an opportunity is presented, so some get away. But part of the fun is the thrill of the chase and the occasional discovery of a sleeper!
Unread 01-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
champ7fc
User

Thanks for the excellent input, the idea of a theme from Ron sounds good, my theme is to aquire one example of every Luger manufactured. Like most of you I have difficulty affording these pistols, but it is fun looking and wishing at the same time. I am astonished at the prices of some of the internet offerings and I find that the more I use this forum and rely on you veterans the easier it is to spot good and bad buys.I have made some mistakes, but in essence that is the best way to learn. We do not seem to have many good gun shows here in the Northeast so it is difficult to see the Lugers in the flesh. I will keep learning , listening and reading as I go. Thank you all for the help.
Craig
Unread 01-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Well said Ron, I still will buy a piece out of my "era" but try to keep in the area, as it is easier to learn one era, than 3-4 eras (Imperial, Weimar, Nazi, post-war).

Jerry is right, today I received in the mail some Weimar era money, several of them are the same years as guns in my collection, just something neat to add to the collection.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Craig, I seem to recall that Michael Reese in his book "Luger Tips" mentions a seven gun collection that would include all 7 manufactures and various barrel lengths and calibers in which the lugers were made. On average, with spurts and plateaus, I've found that the average matching PO8s have doubled in value about every ten years (7.5%) since the 1968 Gun control Act, prior to which they were selling for $40 to $50 each. Which would put todays price at about $750, which is about right for a 90% common PO8 and $1500 for a LPO8 based on the 1964 price of $100. Tom