LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
bigrybread
User

Default need information on this luger please.

hello I recently inherited this luger and im trying to gather information on it as to whether or not I should shoot it or keep it locked up. as far as I can tell its got 1917 on the top part of the gun, on the under side of the barrel and in front of the trigger guard and once more on the left side of the barrel is 1815, and all over the gun in different areas is the number 15 as well. d.w.m is engraved on the top of the gun on the right side of the gun are 3 characters of some kind.

any information is much apprecaited thank you all so much for your time
bigrybread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
alvin
User

How many years this gun has been locked without shooting in the past? Shoot it.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
bigrybread
User

to my knowledge about 6 I believe but according to my grandma was well maintained by my grandfather. also the 1815 stamps have a very small a underneath them. will shooting it hurt the value of it if it even has a decent value???
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
alvin
User

It's not a factory original gun. In U.S., its value is limited to a few hundred dollars because of the volume. But a few hundred dollars do not come easy these days.... I have to say.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
bigrybread
User

sweet i guess thats good news lol cause honestly i wanted to make it a routine shooter but was afraid i would hurt the value :P thank you very much for your information
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Mauser720
User

bigrybread -

Well, if the gun actually does have all matching numbers, then that greatly increases the value to a collector. And if one of these serially numbered parts were to break during firing, then the collector value will be reduced by about half.

And the parts do break from time to time. Somewhere on this Forum there is a survey about the parts that were broken by firing, and I think one of the things this survey documented was that extractors, for example, are one of the parts that are most frequently broken.

However, it does not make any difference which numbered part is broken. Break any one of them, and an all matching Luger's value to a collector will be cut in half.

You have probably heard the expression "risk tolerence" as it relates to investing in the stock market. Well, in the same way, an individual's "risk tolerence" will determine whether he intends to go ahead and shoot an all matching collectable Luger.

Another factor that can impact the Luger's collector value is whether it has been refinished. A Luger which has had its original finish replaced; i.e., "reblued", is also of less collector value than one which still has most or nearly all of it's original finish.

I mention this since in my opinion the barrel on your example seems to have an unusual color to it. I can not tell from your pictures whether it has been refinished, or perhaps touched up with "cold blue" or whatever.

Perhaps someone else with more experience can comment on whether the finish on your example is original.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
rolandtg
User

A nice looking pistol. But definitely buffed & reblued.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I agree that it is refinished. Take care of it but enjoy...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
bigrybread
User

wow thank you all for your very helpful information and time looking at my piece. my last question is does anyone know a price range i could expect for a pistol like this?
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
bigrybread
User

Unread 05-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
c3006
User

Welcome to the forum,I would guess the $650 range. mabe a little more or less depending on the market where you are. Best c
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Your gun has serial number "1815a". The "a" (which is in cursive script on the front part of the frame and trigger guard strap) is part of the serial number.

If all the small parts that have numbers have a "15", and the barrel and right side of the receiver are marked "1815" the parts should be original to the gun, and all matching.

If you remove the grips to check inside the gun, be very careful when removing them - particularly the left side. Remove the screw, and use a finger inside the magazine well to just slightly lift the grip, then slide it away from the top of the frame. Your left grip is already chipped (called the "million dollar chip" since so many guns lost value due to it breaking).

The crown over gothic "Fraktur" letters are inspection stamps added as the gun passed a series of inspections and pressure proofing. They are what you'd expect on a 1917 DWM (Deutsche Waffenfabrike und Munitionen - "German Weapon Fabrication and Munitions") the company that manufactured your gun in 1917. This was the Imperial era when the Kaiser ruled Germany.

Sometimes flash photographs change the appearance of the finish quite a bit. I'm no expert, but expect that your gun was refinished. I have a couple of refinished guns, and (while not as interesting to collectors) I really like them.

So, if you decide to fire your Luger, take the time to find a 9mm load that is not one of the high pressure loads commonly sold today. The Lugers were engineered before our era, and the high pressure loads are more likely to break them.

Others have said that the common white box Winchester 9mm 115gn you can find at WalMart is a good choice. I reload my own with about 11% less powder than the maximum recommended.

That said, it's fun to shoot a Luger. You'll get all kinds of attention at most ranges too!!!

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
bigrybread
User

lol i swear you guys on this site are about 10x more knowledgable then the manule or my local gun shop excellent site and excellent members thank you all once again !