LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-16-2001, 11:35 PM   #1
Chip
User

Default Take-down/Loading tool.

Does anyone have an extra take-down/loading tool they would sell? I've read that the repo ones are not very good. I'm not interested in any special marks or numbers, just original Luger tool. My old crampy fingers have a hell of a time pulling that little button down to load the mag. Thanks, guys.

Unread 08-17-2001, 12:18 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default Re: Take-down/Loading tool.

CHIP, There are plenty for sale on Ebay, both original and repro. In my opinion you should go for a repro as they do the job just as well. No real difference except for thickness of metal. The repros are generally thicker and that would only matter to a luger collector. Should run about $10.00 to $15.00 Jerry

Unread 08-17-2001, 01:00 AM   #3
Chip
User

Thanks for the info Jery, guess I'll go for the repo.

Unread 08-17-2001, 06:45 AM   #4
Luke
User

Chip -

Sarco sells two types of repro loading tools. One of them is marked E/63 and the other is unmarked. I have both. It appears that they are made by different manufacturers. The UNMARKED one works perfectly; the one marked E/63 is worthless (IMHO), as it is too thick to engage the mag button.

The UNMARKED one is only $7.50, but Sarco has a $20 minimum order with $5 shipping.

Unread 08-17-2001, 09:03 AM   #5
tom h

Chip, I agree that some of the repro mag loading tools out there don't have the correct lip inside the round hole, to hold the tool onto the follower button. The best available "repros" are the E. German made ones, which were made on the original machinery but have added serrations on the section that your thumb presses on to avoid slipping. I sell these for $15 postpaid. Tom

Unread 08-17-2001, 10:37 AM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, There's a lesson for all of us. We really should look to Tom first for stuff like that! When is the last time we saw Sarco add anything to the forum? I do not like the minimum $ business and $5.00 for shipping a loading tool? Definately should look to our own... Jerry

Unread 08-17-2001, 11:05 AM   #7
Luke
User

Default OK. I give up. I was just trying to be helpful. (EOM)

Unread 08-17-2001, 12:43 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Don't be discouraged Luke... you can only contribute what you know...

thanks for your input too, because we now have an even better reason to order from Tom Heller- a comparison with another vendor that confirms he is a good source...

Without comparison opinions and facts, we are all shooting in the dark. this thread just shed some light on sourcing these tools.

Someone who would be looking to buy a take-down/loading tool in a couple of weeks will find both posts and be able to make an intelligent decision.

Sarco, BTW CAN BE, and often is, a good source of things that might otherwise not be available anywhere else. I have used them in the past, but their $50 minimum would push me away unless I REALLY needed what they were selling. Make darn sure when you order from them, that you know what you want, and can return it if it isn't in the condition they claimed it to be in... Sometimes a problem with SARCO.

regards,

John

Unread 08-17-2001, 12:45 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Don't give up!!!.

Luke, Don't give up! All suggestions are helpful...There is no right or wrong in this! I have had dealings in the past with Sarco and I was not thrilled back then. They generally sell junk but they are a very obvious and out there in your face presence. Please do not take this at all seriously! We are all here to help and your suggestion was just as good as mine! Jerry

Unread 08-17-2001, 05:22 PM   #10
Chip
User

Thanks Tom, e-mail coming at you. F.D.Plowman

Unread 08-17-2001, 08:35 PM   #11
Steve
User

I also bought the unmarked tool from Sarco. I bought two of them and a repro double magazine pouch. That got me over the minimum order and I have one tool for my holster and one in the gun case. Also, having an extra one is a good idea as they are fairly small and loose and therefore easily lost.