LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-26-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Lugers in Movies & TV

Hey Matt, saw an episode last night of HOGANS HEROS and ol Bob Crane (pity about his demise) was in an Germany Army Infantry Officiers Uniform and he whipped out a Luger in a flash (I was amazed the speed that Luger pointed) at an SS officer! IT is amazing how often Lugers were used in Movies and TV shows, I am now noticing them much more than in the past! Thor

Unread 06-26-2001, 11:07 PM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Lugers in Movies & TV

The movie 'The land that time forgot' is on tonight with Doug McClure. I thinf that in this movie ol Dougy baby blows away some dinosaurs with an artillery luger. Thats just what I need in case one comes in my backyard and tries to eat one of dachshunds.

Big Norm

Unread 06-27-2001, 12:19 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default What network is airing that movie Norm? (EOM)

Unread 06-27-2001, 02:16 PM   #4
Mike T.

Hogan showed up numerous times with a Luger or a 1911 .45, but for some reason, you never saw a P-38 on the show (or at least I don't recall one). Besides their obvious "Tales of the Gun" shows, the History Channel featured recently a reinactment of the assassination attempt at Blair House of Truman in the early 1950's, with prominent footage of a Luger and a P-38 used by the assailants. I also remember seeing in 1962 an episode of "G.E. True" depicting an German officer using a Luger to shoot a couple of his own men who ran away instead of participating in the suicide attack of the church in Czechoslovakia where the assassins of Reinhard Heydrich were holed up.

Unread 06-27-2001, 02:39 PM   #5
Thor
User

Mike, in "Bridge at Remagen" Robert Vaughn does the same thing with his P.38, trying to stop (which he did) two of the deserting German Officers, of course his repayment in the end was to be shot by K98s in a firing squad for abandoning the bridge (he was coming to try and get reinforcements for the battle) I will try and get a still shot of this from my DVD player! He had an anquished look on his face as I remember him shooting that P.38 Thor

Unread 06-27-2001, 02:41 PM   #6
Thor
User

My mistake, they were regular soldiers, not officers, or they were the remaining old men and towns boys!

Unread 06-27-2001, 09:39 PM   #7
Matt
User

The 1960s TV shows "Combat" and "The Rat Patrol" have plenty of good scenes with German firearms. In "Combat" though, the Germans often used .50-calibers or British Vickers machineguns.

Unread 06-27-2001, 09:42 PM   #8
Matt
User

I had forgotten about the movie "The Land That Time Forgot" until it was mentioned in a post awhile back. I saw it back in the 1970s in the theater and several years later on TV. As I recall, it was a pretty cool movie.

Unread 06-27-2001, 10:12 PM   #9
Matt
User

Default Thor ...

I know this topic is getting redundant, but I still wonder when MGM is going to release "Where Eagles Dare" on DVD. While I don't give it high marks for realism, as far as entertainment, WED is king!

As you pointed out in a post awhile back, Mary Ure sure looks good wielding that Schmeisser.

She was once married to actor Robert Shaw of "Jaws," "From Russia with Love" and "Force Ten From Navarone" fame.

I haven't watched WED in awhile and am starting to go threw (spell chequer fails me again, Hugh) withdrawals, and I am gonna have to watch it soon.

Unread 06-27-2001, 10:55 PM   #10
Thor
User

Default Re: Thor ...

Everybody asks that, when I logged into an MGM chat room the MGM rep said "we can discuss possible releases" that was two years ago, it will be rereleased on DVD, but I dont know if it will be in my lifetime! If you go to amazon.com you can see many posts and reviews on this movie (mine included) about 60-75% say the same thing "When is it coming out in widescreen DVD?" Thor

Unread 06-27-2001, 11:58 PM   #11
Mike T.

The anguished look is probably from his realization that he, by firing the pistol, knocked it down from NIB condition to a mere excellent condition, thus greatly reducing its value.

Unread 06-28-2001, 12:12 AM   #12
Thor
User

Take a look on the P.38 forum, I posted a picture of him shoiting it! Thor http://boards.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/P38/P38.pl