LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
tyler kent
New User

Default Need Help Identitfying Luger

I have a Luger with a six-inch barrel, and proof marks on the receiver indicating the "navy" type ( an M below a 5-sided geometric figure). The only other marks that I can see are "DWM" on the top middle, "1916" where the barrel meets the receiver, and "1916" on the left side above the take-down lever. Does anyone know what these mean? Can I assume 1916 is the year of manufacture, and that it was a navy military pistol? Thanks for any help.
tyler kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Tyler, Welcome to the forum! You have a very collectible 1914 model, 1916 dated Navy Luger. In addition to the marks you mention, the barrel and left side of the breech block should also be stamped with Navy crowns, and the front sight base should be stamped 1916. I maintain a data base of all known Navy Lugers and would like to add yours to the list. You can post the serial number here or send me an email if you prefer. Regards, Norm
normrab@comcast.net
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

In addition to helping Norm with his tracking (which has proven essential to authenticating Lugers), please take and post clear sharp pictures of your Luger and it's markings.

Because of the value of Navy Lugers, these have been regularly faked. Norm and others that focus on these pistols may be able to help you authenticate yours.

Marc
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
tyler kent
New User

Default Here's the Pic

Norm...

You are correct, the front sight also shows "1916" and the rear sight is adjustable from 100 to 200 (meters, I presume; but it seems strange to shoot a target at that distance with a 9mm handgun!). There are no markings on the magazine, and the serial numbers appear to match. The wood grip has an "S" and an "O" stamped into the checkering on the left side. I am unable to figure out how to upload a pic, but will try "attachment."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	30087  

tyler kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Tyler, Yep, it's a 1916 Navy all right. However, it appears from you photo that the stock lug has been removed, I hope I'm wrong and that it's just the camera angle. Please let me know the serial number and your email address, I'll send you a link to the Navy List.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote