LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
unterhund
User

Default U.S. Army Test Magazine Pouch?

Hello friends. I've been lurking but not posting much since I registered. I recently bought an El Paso Saddlery holster for my Dad's old S/42 P08. I began wondering if, during the U.S. Army's testing of the Luger in the early 1900's, was any kind of magazine pouch issued along with the holster? I can't find any reference to one in all my web searching.

Did the soldiers who tested the pistols carry the spare magazines in their pockets?

Since auto pistols were a new concept to the U.S. Army, perhaps the idea of a magazine pouch hadn't occurred to them.

Additionally, on what belt would the test Lugers have been carried? A standard garrison belt perhaps? Or the Mills web belt for Krag ammo? I've seen a photo on line of a test Luger with its holster and a McKeever Krag ammo box, so I began wondering what the complete rig would have looked like.

Any thoughts?
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Herr Hund, That is an interesting question..I have never seen a magazine pouch for the US test...I can say that one was never officially issued. The holsters were made by the US RIA and no mention of mag pouches is made.
German Soldiers as late as 1918 were known to carry handfulls of P08 mags in their tunic pockets even though the issue double and triple mag pouches were known and used by some. Just more convenient I suspect. I suspect that US Cavalry did the same.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

I suspect that the answer to the question of Test mag pouches might rest with Bannerman. If one could locate a Bannerman catalogue in which the first offering of Test Eagles was made, the RI holsters and any mag pouches should appear there.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote