LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default GT To The Rescue

I had a problem with and tried to solve the problem. A stupid move on my part! The grip screw broke in half! G.T. found that the screw did not have the proper threads! Perfect replacement! All grip screws are not alike! My Hero!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw 005.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	65725  

Click image for larger version

Name:	screw 012.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	65726  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Sky Zero
User

yup, glad I sent my barrel to him :P
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sky Zero for your post:
Unread 04-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default BTW James!

First of all, thank you for your kind words and trust, I have a LOT of friends that are like family here, and I never stray far from that thought in my day to day journey....
My family has been down with the flu for the last few days and today I actually re-joined the living! ..
So I thought I'd take a look'ee'see at your byf 41 barreled receiver that was/is shooting high left? And first off, it is a pretty nice unit, and we will certainly endeavor to keep it that way... But, here's what I found out... In the inspection, I observed, same as you, that the barrel front sight blade was slightly canted to the left, just shy of being perfectly vertical, with the extractor slot lining up within tolerances, and the index mark just shy of lining up... So, I decided to remove the barrel, and then re-torque it so the front sight base dovetail and index mark were square with the receiver... Well, the barrel came loose with a bit of effort, (tight) and would tighten back up to exactly the same place as to where we started... which leads me to think maybe they were screwed on as tight as possible, and marked, and then disassembled and reassembled down the line... Anyway, after working it tight and then loose a few times.. maybe a dozen cycles or so.. I succeeded in getting the index marks lined up properly.. and when I rechecked the vertical alignment, it was within approx. a degree of rotation from perfect! (opposite from before, 1 degree past, not two or three degrees early.. ) It looks perfectly aligned in all respects... So, later this week, when I'm back to being normal.. (that might be a stretch?... ) It will be off to the range... all in all I'm pretty happy with the results and I'm anxious to see the difference in impact the adjustment makes?... By the way James, how far to the left approx. did it print prior to sending it to me?... Now I have to find someone who can see good enough to shoot!.... ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You should have your own show on Discovery!
Unread 04-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Sky Zero
User

GT,

You, sir, are incredible! I'm ecstatic that you were able to get it aligned and that the sight is now much better!!!! I'm literally smiling bigger than I have in 2 months right nown

At 15 yards, sights right on the center, it should shoot a good 4 inches left and maybe a little more (I'm also not a crack shooter but I had the range officer also shoot it and he had the same results). It was just outside the outer most ring on the target. High and left at 15 yards. Can't wait to hear back on the range report and hope everyone in your family is doing better!!

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
First of all, thank you for your kind words and trust, I have a LOT of friends that are like family here, and I never stray far from that thought in my day to day journey....
My family has been down with the flu for the last few days and today I actually re-joined the living! ..
So I thought I'd take a look'ee'see at your byf 41 barreled receiver that was/is shooting high left? And first off, it is a pretty nice unit, and we will certainly endeavor to keep it that way... But, here's what I found out... In the inspection, I observed, same as you, that the barrel front sight blade was slightly canted to the left, just shy of being perfectly vertical, with the extractor slot lining up within tolerances, and the index mark just shy of lining up... So, I decided to remove the barrel, and then re-torque it so the front sight base dovetail and index mark were square with the receiver... Well, the barrel came loose with a bit of effort, (tight) and would tighten back up to exactly the same place as to where we started... which leads me to think maybe they were screwed on as tight as possible, and marked, and then disassembled and reassembled down the line... Anyway, after working it tight and then loose a few times.. maybe a dozen cycles or so.. I succeeded in getting the index marks lined up properly.. and when I rechecked the vertical alignment, it was within approx. a degree of rotation from perfect! (opposite from before, 1 degree past, not two or three degrees early.. ) It looks perfectly aligned in all respects... So, later this week, when I'm back to being normal.. (that might be a stretch?... ) It will be off to the range... all in all I'm pretty happy with the results and I'm anxious to see the difference in impact the adjustment makes?... By the way James, how far to the left approx. did it print prior to sending it to me?... Now I have to find someone who can see good enough to shoot!.... ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 04-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Happy to help!

Hi James! I'm anxious to range test it as well! It's looking like .025" change either up or down, left or right, equates to about the same 4" at 15 yards? I will soon have front sight blades to correct the up and down part as well! It's right on the mark now, so anything we have to do to adjust point of impact will be with the front sight blade itself?... I'm taking my sight adjusting tool along as well... It's kind of exciting to see what we will end up with?... The barrel was squeak tight, almost exceeded my tooling.... squeak tight, squeak loose, squeak tight, squeak loose!!!! .........I thought it was going to seize at any moment... was drenched in captive oil as well... 75 year old Mauser oil?.... ... who knows?... Anyway James, it will be on it's way back soon! and we'll see what happens in your hands... best to you James, til...lat'r...GT.....
Unread 04-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Sky Zero
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi James! I'm anxious to range test it as well! It's looking like .025" change either up or down, left or right, equates to about the same 4" at 15 yards? I will soon have front sight blades to correct the up and down part as well! It's right on the mark now, so anything we have to do to adjust point of impact will be with the front sight blade itself?... I'm taking my sight adjusting tool along as well... It's kind of exciting to see what we will end up with?... The barrel was squeak tight, almost exceeded my tooling.... squeak tight, squeak loose, squeak tight, squeak loose!!!! .........I thought it was going to seize at any moment... was drenched in captive oil as well... 75 year old Mauser oil?.... ... who knows?... Anyway James, it will be on it's way back soon! and we'll see what happens in your hands... best to you James, til...lat'r...GT.....
You are the best there is and I'm kinda glad you're also excited haha, because it really is exciting!!
Unread 04-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It Would Be An Honor To Walk In Your Shadow! ~Eric
Unread 04-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Smile Hey guys!

Hi guys! Thanks, but... I'm over rated!! ....... best to you all, ...til.....lat'r......GT......
Unread 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Raaaaaange Test Results!!!!

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I was very anxious to see what happens when we adjust / alter the barrel location so the index marks line up as was the original request? Here's how it played out.... First, as I already knew, you have to find a right handed shooter who can shoot!!!! ... That leaves me stopped before I even start... so, I found a right handed guy, and by golly, turns out he could shoot! And shoot pretty good at that... So, I geared him up with a mag full of 6 rounds, and he sent them down range... at 15 yards, some were on center, and a few were approx. a half inch right?.... Note this is from 4" high and left, back to pretty close to center... I think drifting the front sight blade a little right, maybe .010" would put it perfect...
This byf 41 top end had the best trigger pull I have ever felt in a Luger, light and crisp! But, it was magazine sensitive. It worked fine with one of my Mec-Gar GTHQ magazines.. but stovepipe jammed twice in one string with another? This stumps me, but mags are critical, find one that works, and protect it like best dog..... Anyway, it is now getting packed and ready to send back to James, and we'll see how it works for him... Best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT....
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: