LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
bobkap
New User

Default Info Please

I recently inherited from a deceased family member(ex. WW2 MP & retired Chief of Police) a Luger among 9 other handguns. Markings:
DWM on toggle top, 1911 on barrel next to toggle, 5686 on frame under barrel, 3 symbol impressions on r/s(L-to-R) "E"? w/ crown on top. Letter? w/crown on top. Eagle? w/ crown on top, legs and wings vertical, wings not angled but straight up. Toggle does not lock open. "86" stamped on a few other places. Lanyard anchor on rear of frame just above the grip. L/S side of barrel has minor pitting near muzzle. Grips are checkered wood. Magazine grip appears to be black wood with some numbers. Finish is good except as noted on barrel.
Questions:
1. Ring any bells?
2. Guess on value?(not be sold but rather passed on to my son)
Thanks in advanced for any help.
bobkap
bobkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Mauser720
User

bobkap -

Photographs will be necessary in order to give you more accurate responses to your questions.

However, you have a 1911 DWM luger. The eagle with the upspread winds and the crown is the Army Test Proof. At that time they were being made without the hold open, so that is correct. It should not have the stock lug either. Report serial range in Jan Still's "Imperial Lugers and Their Accessories" book (the Red Book) says the serial range is 1524c to 4825e, so you must have one that was made later.

Sounds like a nice one. Can you post some pictures?
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

What is the suffix (letter) under the front serial number on the frame?

Although new information is out (Central Powers by Jan Still), your serial range is likely to be in the ones stated above by Ron.

Welcome to the forum!

What are the other 8 guns you inherited (which is sad when a friend or family passes away).

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
congaman
User

Bobkap.....I too am sorry for your loss. I am relatively new to this forum but I can say that if you ever need advice or need info on values that these forum members are the way to go. The knowledge that they have blows me away. They not only know their stuff but they shoot straight. Scott
congaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
bobkap
New User

Ron & Ed, tks for the reply. I'll do pics when I figure out how. Others: Colt M1911 w/holster-beautiful, "U.S. Army" mfg. date 1913. Fabrique Nationale D' Armes Guerre, Herstal Belgique, looks like M1911. F.L. Selbstlader D.R.G.M. auto w/ holster & mag. Hi-Standard Model "B" auto "U.S.Army", .22 LR-beautiful!. Beretta auto w/ holster & extra mag. A few Police S&W's .38 spcl- very nice. A couple other revolvers and 1 Deringer.
Thanks again to both for your help.
bobkap
bobkap is offline   Reply With Quote