LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Kohaku2416
User

Default So i found a 30. Luger in Indiana

I was looking around at a gunstore about an hour away from my house and low and behold i found a Luger. it was in the used section of the store. haha go figure.. anyway it was a DWM and dated 1920. also it was chambered in 30.Luger and i think but not for sure, it didn't have the military markings on the right side of the gun so i think it might be a commerical type Luger. but again im not for sure seeing im no Luger expert. the store owner claims the gun is all matching and it is in farily decent shape, finish remains, and its nice and smooth when i racked the toggle but it was hard to pull back. The asking price was around 950. and just wondering is this to much for 30 cal Luger? and im thinking about *maybe* talking him down just a lil bit seeing the the bottom of the mag is missing a piece of the wood. So if i do talk him down or at least try to what should i offer giving. Oh and one other thing...he said the 30 cal luger ammo is rare and not much to be shot. so also i ask how rare is 30 cal ammo? or is there any modern places that make it or where can i find it?
Kohaku2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

The 30 Luger aka as 7.65mm is not a rare cartridge, just more expesnive because less are sold than the 9mm. resale on a 30 luger is usually less than a 9mm, and I think that $950 is about $200 too much, at least for me...

Like most things, is it all matching, is it correct, is it what?

if dated 1920, it was marked by the reichswehr as a gov't owned weapon and WAS almost certainly at one time 9mm...

I am unsure why this was posted in the p08 section if it has no military markings?
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,305 Times in 429 Posts

Brandon,

Very cool to stumble on a Luger like that. We'll need to know a few more details--serial number with suffix? left receiver proof? barrel marks? marks on what is left of the mag base? etc.--before the first part of your question can be answered.

.30 cal. ammunition is not common to find; it is expensive, and the most commonly available brand is too underpowered to operate the Luger's action reliably. That said, there are shooters here who prefer to shoot .30, swear by it, believe it is inherently more accurate than 9mm. Frequently they are reloaders.

You will certainly need to be dedicated to shoot .30 Luger, and the .30 cal. guys will have lots to say to help you out.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Kohaku2416
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Tinker
The 30 Luger aka as 7.65mm is not a rare cartridge, just more expesnive because less are sold than the 9mm. resale on a 30 luger is usually less than a 9mm, and I think that $950 is about $200 too much, at least for me...

Like most things, is it all matching, is it correct, is it what?

if dated 1920, it was marked by the reichswehr as a gov't owned weapon and WAS almost certainly at one time 9mm...

I am unsure why this was posted in the p08 section if it has no military markings?
Yeah my bad about posting in the wrong forum right after i posted i thought "oh wait...since it's not a military gun maybe i should have put it in the commerical forum..." "whoops" lol
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Unread 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Kohaku2416
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight Gruber
Brandon,

Very cool to stumble on a Luger like that. We'll need to know a few more details--serial number with suffix? left receiver proof? barrel marks? marks on what is left of the mag base? etc.--before the first part of your question can be answered.

.30 cal. ammunition is not common to find; it is expensive, and the most commonly available brand is too underpowered to operate the Luger's action reliably. That said, there are shooters here who prefer to shoot .30, swear by it, believe it is inherently more accurate than 9mm. Frequently they are reloaders.

You will certainly need to be dedicated to shoot .30 Luger, and the .30 cal. guys will have lots to say to help you out.

--Dwight
yeah i didn't get much of a chance to handle the gun to look it over and see the markings, the store guy looked sorta pissed when i pulled up the action to look in the breach. which did have some rough spots that looked like they needed oiling out... >_>
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

for the same price you can find a "low-end" collectable if you want that. If you are looking for a 7.65mm example and it is really nice, then ...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Kohaku2416
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Tinker
for the same price you can find a "low-end" collectable if you want that. If you are looking for a 7.65mm example and it is really nice, then ...
Yeah..im not really picky at what Luger i can find if it's here in Indiana, because of the FFL stuff, but what i would like to do is find a decent Luger that is shootable and i wont feel bad about if something breaks and needs to be replaced. but there is like zero lugers in Indiana. seriously, the only time ive seen a luger was at the indy 1500 but most of them weren't for sale and were only up for display only by the owners...and to the ones that were for sale the guys had um priced in the 1800's which is waaaay out of my price range. Not to mention this 30 cal luger is the first luger ive ever seen in a gun store period. heck the the gun stores in the actual town i live in haven't seen a luger in the shop in years and there's like a 200 waiting list for people who signed to be notified if one does ever show up >_< so i guess its safe to say lugers are rare to come by around here....
Unread 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I have found that lugers are rare everywhere.... in gun shops and gun shows. There are the exceptions, but like most things, patience and looking around and it is amazing how many lugers come to you....

I have bought most of my Older guns from friends and gun boards. Are Indiana laws strict or ??

Ed
Unread 11-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Kohaku2416
User

Indiana laws strict? ha! no. there is no pistol permit needed to buy a handgun, and handguns can be carried legally at age 18. and guns like rifle and shotguns can be bought at 18 with just showing your driver's lisence. handguns and handgun bullets you have to be 21 but you can have a family member such as a parent buy them for you and be given to you as a "gift" and if your 18 your so called "gift" can be carried without breaking the law. with the exception you get your permit to carry first
Unread 11-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Aaron
Banned

They sell guns at the Indy 500?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
Kohaku2416
User

No the Indy 1500 gun and knife show, it's held at the pepsi coloisium.
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Kohaku,

You should consider getting a C&R license. That way you can buy out of state. Also, you can probably find an FFL dealer who you can purchase a Luger through for a transfer fee. Here in Georgia the going rate for an FFL transfer is $25. Few lugers show up for sale down here as well, and the few that appear at gun shows are mostly junk with high price tags. I have purchased several nice shooters from the Lugerforum "for sale" listings.

FYI, .30 Luger is available from Fiocchi for about $18. - $20. a 25 rnd. box. 9mm Luger is much cheaper, about $11. for 100 rds. Happy hunting. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #14
sidhartha
User

Kohaku 2416 is right about the lugers being scarce here in Indiana. When you do find one it is almost always priced way to high. The Indy 1500 is a great show but there are a few dealers that tend to make it hard for others. Earlier this month I found a dealer there that wanted $550.00 for an extremely rare (not) Erma 22lr. He always sets numerous lugers out for display but will not sell them. He talks like he is the only one who knows anything about a luger. You will find the guys that post here are much more informed and interested in what you have for what it is. And they won't finish their statements with "I'll give ya $300.00 for it".
I have found that the Tipton show is one of the best around for finding unusual stuff at decent prices. Bradis's in Camby use to good to deal with, but I have not been there in a long time. You might try some of the smaller pawn shops too. They are always high to start but often do not have a clue what they have. If you see one that has laid in his case for a long time he will usually start dropping his price on it. Patience and luck is the best way to find one around here.
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
redbird dave
User

I got lucky a couple of years ago at the Indy 1500 Gun Show in Indy. I had been looking for a decent shooter and stumbled upon a local dealer at the show that had an all matching 1918 DWM for $450.00. It had been reblued some time ago and was a decent job. I snatched it up and did not even dicker on the price. I have yet to see another one in as good of shape for anywhere near that price. Lugers are rare in Indiana. I went to many gun shows in and around Indianapolis and you were lucky to find a single luger. If you did, they wanted a kings ransom. As everyone knows, the hunt is half the fun and when you do find a good deal it makes it all worth while.
redbird dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
Pete Ebbink
User

.30 luger ammo at Sportsmanguide.com. Scroll down the page a bit :

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=282665
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote