LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
biggray
New User

Default Ejector Breakage

Hello All. Does anyone know what causes the ejector to break in a luger? My shooter luger that has thousands of rounds through it has had three ejectors break in the last year. The first was very pitted and lasted for years. The second was a repro and lasted a little more than 200 rounds. The third was from a reblued s/42 1936 upper that a friend parted out. It lasted a little more than 600 rounds. My load is on the lite side, 5 grains Unique and Lee 124 lrn. This load functioned the luger just fine but doesn't have enough power to activate the holdopen on most other 9's such as the p38 or hi-power. I'm thinking my recoil spring maybe to weak after all this time. Anyone have any other ideas? I don't remember where the first one broke but the last two broke about 1/8 inch behind the blade. I've been using this luger for 8-10 years and shooting 1000-1500 rounds a year. Thanks for any help. Bill
biggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If it is a parts gun, there may be a clearance issue between the ejector and the breech block. Otherwise, as you mentioned, I would look at the mainspring.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The Ejector is really a "hardened" part and a spring to boot. There is no telling how many times your original and third broken ejector was pounded before they failed because you didn't possess them for their whole lifetime.

The reproduction ejector (#2) I think broke simply because it may have been an inferior quality.
With the breechblock removed, does the ejector move easily through the slot it is installed in? or is there any noticible friction with the slot?

Use some fine emery cloth to polish the sides of the ejector that could be rubbing the receiver when in use. Also polish the mating surfaces on the frame... that may help.

Once you have done that carefully "feel" the relationship between the ejector and the breechblock as the breechblock moves forward and backward in the receiver... any roughness or sticking there? POLISH POLISH POLISH...

This part takes a beating for a living, making it's life a little easier by polishing certainly can't hurt. No matter how hard you prepare for a beating, eventually you will go down after so much pounding... keep an extra or two on hand for your shooter.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve, I believe that John S. is on the right track. Even original ejectors from another PO8 may require fitting to move smoothly in your luger. I've most often found that they need fitting on the upper edge from front to rear, and sometimes at the very front, so that they can return to their "at rest" position. TH