LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Olle
User

Default My first Broomhandle

Found this in a local ad, and figured that I couldn't go too bad wrong at $500. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I have always wanted a Broomhandle and this will make a fun shooter. Seems to be all matching except for the floor plate and it's in very good condition mechanically, so I might try a quick cosmetic restoration later. The bore is fair, but it has definitely seen better days so I might add a relining to the project as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mauser C96 Bolo 015.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	32722  

Name:	Mauser C96 Bolo 022.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	32723  

Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
alvin
User

Are there two characters on the left on the steel above the grip panel, could you post a closer picture?

Also, could you post a picture showing the backstrap of the grip ? Thanks
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Olle
User

Alvin,

The stamps appear to be Chinese, and I assume that they are either acceptance stamps or property stamps (or maybe they say "Read the manual before using the gun" )

I don't have a picture of the backstrap, but it does have a stock slot. There's also quite a bit of pitting under and around the grips, seems like they have been wet for a long time. I can take a picture if there's anything in particular you want to see.

The lanyard ring is made like a heavy duty key ring, so it would be interesting to know if this is original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mauser C96 Bolo 027.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	32724  

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
alvin
User

The finish is original. The grip panel screw and probably the screw holders (there is a special English word for them, I forgot though) are, of course, replacement. What really interesting was the property stamp on the frame.

"警台", initially, I thought it's "Taiwan Police". But I don't know why the character on the right was spelled in simplified Chinese. However, many simplified characters were not new China's invention and they had been there for long time, just not officially adopted before 1964, including this particular character. If this gun does not have importer stamp, I would still think it's "Taiwan Police". If it does have importer stamp, it must be interpreted differently....

====

Another possibility, it's still interpreted as "Taiwan Police", but the stamp was applied in Japanese occupation era. In Japanese, "Tai" is spelled that way.
The following 2 members says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The finish is original. The grip panel screw and screw holders (there is a special English word for them, I forgot though) are, of course, replacement. What really interesting was the property stamp on the frame.

"警台", initially, I thought it's "Taiwan Police". But I don't know why the character on the right was spelled in simplified Chinese. However, many simplified characters were not new China's invention and they had been there for long time, just not officially adopted before 1964, including this particular character. If this gun does not have importer stamp, I would still think it's "Taiwan Police".
Alvin,

That's pretty cool, I thought it was a Chinese army pistol so I sure appreciate you deciphering it! There's no import stamp, so if nobody tells me otherwise I'll assume that it's Taiwanese.

It would also be interesting to know how you can see that the grip screw and escutcheons have been replaced. The grips are original (and also numbered to the gun), and there was so much grime covering the screw that you could just barely see that it is indeed a screw. These parts may have been replaced at some point, but it was obvious that they have been there for a very long time.

I'm planning to clean the grips so I pressed the nut out. It had something that looked like thin paper wrapped around it, which could indicate a loose fitting replacement. It's still a press fit without the paper, so I sure don't know why it was there to begin with.

In any case: The only bad pitting is on the grip frame, so I was planning to weld it up and then refinish the gun. I see it as a run-of-the-mill version in shooter condition so I don't think I'll be doing something wrong, but I would sure appreciate your take on this.
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
newluger
User

Olle,

Your Broomhandle is what is called a "Bolo". The shorter barrel. Have it checked out, the Broom Closet in Florida does a very good job of reling the barrel if needed. Yes they are fun to shoot. I like the 30 Mauser caliber.

Peter
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
It would also be interesting to know how you can see that the grip screw and escutcheons have been replaced.
The condition of the grip screw and escutcheons are not balanced with the condition of the grip panels. Escutcheons might be original, cleaned. But those are minor parts on the gun.
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The condition of the grip screw and escutcheons are not balanced with the condition of the grip panels. Escutcheons might be original, cleaned. But those are minor parts on the gun.
Ok, that's probably because I dug out the grime and cleaned the escutcheons. But like you said, they are minor parts and really not all that important. I will go ahead and clean the grips anyway, they're still soaked in oil and grease and would look better cleaned.
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
MikeP
User

There were zillions of these imported from China in the 80s.
Most were in pretty sorry condition.

They had bought lots of them from Mauser earlier on.

Some companies, like the defunct FEDORD refurbished them with varying success and sold them off.
They converted a lot of them to 9mm, but retained the 7.63 rear site.
They were pretty cheap, but rough.

Don't fire 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, no matter what anybody says.
It will soon and definately beat your pistol to death.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Olle
User

Yep, I have seen the ads in old gun magazines, and it looks like they imported boat loads of them. I guess it was all over the place back then, kinda like the cheap (well...) Russian captured stuff we see nowadays.

I will definitely not try and shoot the Tokarev round through it, the recoil in a TT-33 is quite respectable and I don't even want to think about what it would do to the old Broomhandle... or what it will do to my hand, holding that tiny Bolo grip...

So what's the verdict on this one? Restore it and make it a good looking shooter, or keep it as is hoping that it will one day be appreciated as a collectible?
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
alvin
User

I would say leaving the finish as is. The finish does not help shooting anyway.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
marshombre
User

The characters 警台 read jing tai which translates as police Tai. 台 is not simplified Chinese but simply the abbreviation for Taiwan. Before you fire this it would be wise to determine if any parts are made of low-grade Chinese steel. I've read a few posts on these pistols coming apart due to a too soft bolt stop. Good luck. MR