LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Head Tomcat
User

Default Need to Establish Value on DWM 1916

Gentlemen,

My elderly neighbor across the street recently passed away and I was given a Luger he has owned since before WWII. I am now looking at selling it but do not know what a fair value is. If you could give me some ideas it would sure be appreciated!

It is a DWM Luger with a chamber date of 1916. All numbers match with a serial number of 4703b. Also, it has the correct wooden-bottom magazine. Original bluing is at 90% and â??GERMANYâ? is stamped onto the left-front of the frame as the post-WWI import mark. It has DWM military proof marks on both the right side of receiver and top of barrel. The interesting point is that it has had the 9mm barrel sleeved down to .30 Luger caliber...but I do not know if it was done before importation or not. Further, the barrel has â??8.83â? stamped into the 6 oâ??clock position under the proof mark. The original wooden grips are perfect with no chips, dings or any abrasions.

What is the range of its current market value and does anyone have comments on the barrel being relined down to the .30 Luger caliber?

Thanks so much!

The Tom
Head Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

A DWM 1916 can be worth $500 for shooter, to $1200 for a nice military one. I think that one that has been relined to 30 luger is worth about what a commerical 1923 30 luger would go for, so I would guess $400-$600, as 30 luger (aka 7.65mm) is expensive to shoot, so not as collectable...

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hi Bob,

Since it is marked for export, and has been altered. Collector value has deminished to shooter status. If blue is original and at 90%. The value would be in the $500 range, give or take.

The relining to .30 Luger is and was a common method of restoring a pistol with a bad bore, to a usable shooter.

Hope this is helpfull.

RS

Looks like old "Fast Fingers" beat me to the draw.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Head Tomcat
User

Guys,

Thanks! I am going to post this over in the "For Sale" forum and see what happens. It was sort of funny when I tried to run my 9mm brass cleaning jag through the bore...and it stopped very quickly! This is the first .30 Luger I have run into and did not expect to see the smaller bore when inspecting and cleaning it.

Bob "The Tom" in Arkansas
Head Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote