LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 04-04-2004, 02:21 AM   #1
DougB
New User

Post Help - My friend can't get his Luger back together

A friend of mine has a Luger (made in 1938 I think) that he inherited from his dad (been in the family since WWII I think). It was in good working order (we've shot it a few times), but he showed it to a guy who, to demonstrate his expertise, took it apart (just basic field strip). Now we can't get it back together. We found instructions on the web, and everyting seems clear and correct, except the takedown pin won't go all the way through (so it can't pivot up into the closed position). Something's blocking it, but we can't see what it would be. The end of the pin fits fine into the hole on the opposite side of the frame, but when pushed through from the correct direction, it won't go into it. There appears to be a small wire spring that comes up into a small groove in the pin, but everything looks like it should work - it just won't go in. Is this common? Is there some trick to it? Do we need a mallet to pound it in? (I hope not). Obviously we are rookies when it comes to Lugers (though we are very familiar with other firearms). Thanks.

Doug

PS - I have to admit, that Luger is an interesting handgun. Seeing the design and construction make me want one myself. Until I handled this one, I'd never really thought about them much, but I can certainly understand their attraction.
DougB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

The small wire spring helps keep the take down lever in place, without it, the TD lever would fall out. Use some light force to push the lever in and at the same time some down ward force, or best push in and upward force on the TD lever to force the spring downward into the grove, and it will line up with the far side....clear as mud??...give it a try, you won't break anything under normal hand pressure....if all fails we can do this over the phone!
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,164 Times in 1,700 Posts
(I see that Policeluger can type faster than I can, but here is my answer anyway)

Doug, the small wire in the frame is the spring that engages the groove in the takedown bolt and holds it in the closed position when you rotate it up. When you insert the bolt from the left side of the frame, you must press down on the bolt to compress the spring enough to allow the end of the bolt to enter the hole in the right side of the frame. It may take a bit of downward pressure and some wiggling to get the bolt to cooperate, but it will go. Please don't wack it with a mallet as you may well end up with a two-piece takedown bolt which will ruin a serial numbered part, not to mention the fact that it won't work anymore.
Unread 04-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Doug, please check your Private Messages for one from me. Click on the "my profile" link at the top of the page.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote