LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
hwortmanjr
User

Default KGP68A needs some repair

Good Morning all you nice people out there in Cyberspace...Just picked up this "Baby Erma" 380 KGP68A yesterday for a good price. Seems to shoot ok and function properly....as the picture shows it has a little cancer on the receiver/alloy frame. Is there a fix for this or a way to restore it and have the serial number re-stamped? I have thought about the new MuggyWeld Alloy #1 low heat weld filler or even a type of epoxy?? and then sculp the frame back to shape...can anyone tell me exactley what kind of alloy this is and/or anyone has completed with any success a repair...
Thanks and have a great Day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0578.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	36250  

Name:	IMGA0579.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	36251  

Name:	IMGA0580.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	36252  

Last edited by hwortmanjr; 09-22-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
hwortmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,358 Posts

Hi Henry,

The alloy is called Zamak, an acronym for "zinc, aluminum, magnesium, and copper". Theoretically, it can be repaired by TIG welding with proper filler material, but working with this diecast stuff is always a crapshoot. Repair/refurbishment of the actual finish on the frame will also be problematic. (I've acquired a quantity of commercial zinc blackener which I will try out on a couple of mine, if the trial run of broken toggle parts turns out acceptably.) I think if you found a competent engraver who would deign to work on Zamak, that the numbers could be re-established after the surfaces are worked down enough to look good again--but you may wind up paying more for this part of the restore than the gun is worth. The Barrel is the regular dip blue finish, so no problem with refinishing it or other parts in the upper--it's just the grip frame on this model that is Zamak

By a "good price", I hope you mean no more than a couple of hundred bucks. One with the finish lost in similar areas, without the pitting/cancer I'd give up to $250; nice finish except for edge/holster wear or maybe some scratches, about $300-325; Good finish and function, $350; great shape, maybe box and accoutrements, up to about $400. I feel that most of the listings on G.B. are over-optimistic, as the prices asked and reserves (Check out the Et.22s offered, Expectations of selling for well over $500 are apparent, but the Et is simply a glorified Ep, with the longer barrel. They generally function about the same, which can be a bit of a disappointment if you're after a dependably-functioning shooter.) are at the lower end for an original, actual Luger shooter; but these do have some collector value, particularly NIB. Overall reputation for function of the Erma Luger wannabes is a tad sketchy (mag and ammo sensitive, tenuous spring balance), but mostly concerning the earlier La, Ep, and Et.22 models which are made almost entirely of cast Zamak. The later KGP models--68 (if you can find one), 68A and 69 tend to work a lot better, and their lines are more similar to actual Lugers.
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Oops, almost forgot... I'm offering NOS factory grips to fit your pistol, same configuration as yours--checkered plastic with thumb rest--but a lighter color faux-walnut, $20, shipped.
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
hwortmanjr
User

Default restoration

Thanks Itica Artist....what is an email address to contact you about those grips....Appreciate your comments and the price was 200....Got the barrel looking new just working on the frame now
hwortmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

P.M. sent.