LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-21-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
Jay
New User

Default Luger grips

I want to purchase some replacement grips for my Alphabet Luger and need to know how to ensure that I get ones that will properly fit. Included is a pic of the area of the grip that I am concerned about getting a match. I don't see this little Notch on the grips that I have seen. Will the typical Po8 grips have this little notch on them or do I need to look for a specific grip to ensure it will be a match?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240621_163354.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	88727  

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2024, 08:53 AM   #2
velodog455~
User

My limited experience is that even if you found minty Mauser grips you might have to remove a small amount of wood to get them to fit correctly, especially for the left grip.

I bought these grips for $23 as a test to see how hard it would actually be to make them fit correctly on my 1915 DWM before gambling on a more expensive set.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25640373464...3ABFBMuobZ_4dk

I was happily surprised to find that there was only a small amount of wood that had to be removed around the safety lever pivot point, and the right grip required only the lightest of shaving on the top.

They looked good enough to me that I just kept them and didn't bother with buying more expensive grips. Part of that decision was the fact that my P.08 is a fairly nice looking shooter grade pistol and not a collector grade piece. Of course, caveat emptor, YMMV, etc but they're cheap enough to use as a test with not too much coin to lose.

-Bob

Last edited by velodog455~; 06-22-2024 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Clarity
velodog455~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to velodog455~ for your post:
Unread 06-22-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
Roadster 02
User

Send those grips to Jim Soloman and you will have a nice set when he is done. Search his name here on this site.
Roadster 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post:
Unread 06-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #4
Eugen
User

Lightbulb

Luger grips were hand fit at the factory. So expect a little work to get a perfect fit.

Every Bubba needs a Dremel tool or a hand file.
The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 06-24-2024, 07:26 PM   #5
Jay
New User

Thanks Lugen. I have a Drexel now I just need some better Dremel skills. By
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2024, 11:33 AM   #6
clubcoz1
User

In the last 3-4 weeks I had literally accumulated a pile of crappy grips from all over the internet and ebay. However, Simpsn, Ltd. has a really good fitting reproduction set for a
C note plus shipping...the checkering is finer like the originals. Also, believe it or not most of the stuff ebay is crap BUT those turkisk ones aren't bad plus they offer unusual patterns besides the usual checkered ones.

Slapped a couple of coats of linseed oil to bring out the grain in those Simpson grips and they're almost too nice to put on a shooter...that's why I got a set of VOPO grips...ehhI just like the way they feel...lol.
clubcoz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default grip quest!

Hi to all! I have made custom grips for Mr. John V. Martz, mostly at the end of his carear. It was a very labor intensive task, and sometimes took months to achive satisfactory results...
It seem that a perfect fit on one Luger, was an impossible fit on another? I narrowed it down to early DWM, later DWM, and Mauser. The best you could hope for was a decent fit when you stayed with the same manufacture, and same time frame.
In recent years, I have completely gotten away from all the cheap aftermanket grips, as my standards, and the bar for quality is set quite high?
About a year ago, in one of my friendly interactions with another forum member, I aquired a very nice set of grips, they looked perfect! So, with great expectations, I tried them on several DWM Lugers and was totally disappointed in the fact that they would fit none of them??? And so they laid around for several months and one day just for giggles and laughs, I tried them on a byf Mauser frame. Perfect fit! Actually better than a custom set... Tried them on other Mauser frames, everytime, perfect fit!!! Soooo, I did a little research, mostly search, and found them to be Nill Griffe manufacture.
In the mean time, another forum member, and a good friend, sent me a set of grips he had purchased from Germany, and although just slightly less quality than the Nill Griffe, the fit perfectly on DWM frames! So I ordered a dozen of them with the help on my forum member friend, and when I opened the box, it contained a dozen Nill Griffe sets which was no help in securing a quality replacement for DWM's. But, now I know the rules, and there is a source, or was a source, for extremely nice and proper fitting sets out there?
If you have the Mauser frame, buy the Nill Griffe set and be done with it... I know someone that has a few sets! Best to all, til.......lat'r.....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-26-2024, 09:01 AM   #8
velodog455~
User

G.T.:
I just acquired a 1916 Erfurt with grip numbers that match the last 2 digits of the serial number. The grips are fine in all respects EXCEPT they have shrunk over time and are a loose fit, so much so that the grips pivot fore and aft a tiny bit around the grip screw even when the grip screw has bottomed on the frame.

You didn't mention Erfurts in your above post. I was just wondering if you had any opinions or comments on them.

The Erfurt is a shooter grade so I might try and fit those cheap repro grips I commented on in post #2. Just curious if you had any Erfurt ideas.
-Bob
velodog455~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2024, 12:22 AM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcoz1 View Post
...the checkering is finer like the originals. Also, believe it or not most of the stuff ebay is crap BUT those turkisk ones aren't bad...
If the Turkish ones are those linked above, I'd have two beefs with them. As you've observed, the checkering is coarser than the standard 18 lines per inch pattern on original military Lugers (and and much coarser than the 20 lpi on Commercials).

Next problem is the bluntness of the upper front corner of the left grip. Most of the ones on eBay, etc. are deficient in this way. Original grips and accurate reproductions are pointy, to reach the inside corner on the frame.
Unread 08-27-2024, 01:07 AM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default Grip tightening!

Hi Bob, I have on occasion, when the grips are original, but a little loose, I try to shim them up a little! Here's what I do.
I cut some brown paper from a paper bag, grocery bag, or any brown paper you can find. I then stain the strips with brown leather die, but you could even use magic marker, just make them brown. Then you have to saturate the strips with superglue. Then, cutting the strips to fit, I super glue them to whatever area that needs shimming. Trim the excess with a razor knife. repeat as necesary to build up the voids and gaps... You'll find that very little, and very small pieces are needed for success.. Let me know how you turn out.. Best, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2024, 06:34 AM   #11
clubcoz1
User

The 'finer checkering' I refered to wasn't with the Turkish grips ( I have no turkish grips with checkering )... it was with the ones I picked up from Simpson, Ltd. The Turkish grips aren't perfect either, but they offer different patterns for a more personalized look at a much more resonable price...I personally consider wood grips generally to be a 'consumable', but if I had a Luger with a matching set of grips it probably has all matching numbers too and I would not want to damage my investment by shooting it. Not the case with my recent shooter purchases...they're not good, but they're good enough...I'll post some pictures of the grips if I get a chance. I realize my opinion runs contrary to the community at large, but I'm not dropping $200-300+ on what amounts to non-matching grips, at least until I hit the lottery...lol.

Last edited by clubcoz1; 08-27-2024 at 08:49 AM.
clubcoz1 is offline   Reply With Quote