LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-03-2024, 11:15 PM   #1
LugerNewby
User

Default 1916 DWM Luger - Help Needed

Hi gang -

I am new to this forum, and new to the Lugers. i have a DWM commercial Luger from 1920 and now I am looking to get a second, this time military. I have the below specimen at my LGS on hold. Selling for $1,699 - I might be able to work it down by $100-150 as I am a regular there, and they know me...

Here is what I could use some help with:
1) Confirming it is original finish - I see the hallo on the serial number under the barrel, but want to make sure the experts here agree
2) I can see all small parts match from the outside - fair to assume rest match, or ask for the grips (at least) to be taken out - i know if I were to take the right one off, I should be able to see both grips numbers.
3) Anything unusual about the markings, anything that may be missing or indicate a potential issue with it? I did not take a pic of the top strap but the 1916 stamp there looked legit (in line with rest)
4) The bore seems to have some flakes in it? Could someone comment on the bore - a potential concern / in line with expected / better? The only real reference I have is the commercial Luger I have and the bore is a little cleaner / shinier
5) The magazine # does not match. The rest you can see. Condition wise, is this a VG (for a Luger), or below? Pricewise, is it priced fairly, low, high? I am looking for a fair deal, not to steal it...

Thank you all in advance!
Slav
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto503776_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	88957  

Name:	gto503776_1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	88958  

Name:	gto503776_3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	88959  

Name:	IMG_9633.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	88960  

Name:	IMG_9634.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	88961  

Name:	IMG_9635.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	88962  

Name:	IMG_9636.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	88963  

Name:	IMG_9637.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	88964  

Name:	IMG_9649 (1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	88966  

Name:	IMG_9639.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	88967  

LugerNewby is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to LugerNewby for your post:
Unread 09-04-2024, 01:03 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Slav,

Without the gun in-hand, no critique can be "official," but your potential pistol looks mighty nice to me--great condition, with no negative tells that I can perceive. If you study a few YouTubes about how to do it, maybe you can talk the shop into letting you field strip it to check for the numbers on the firing pin and trigger. The asking price seems fair to me, as well, maybe somewhat to your advantage, particularly if you can talk 'em down a tad. High, if all numbers don't match, save the mag. The pics you posted are decent, but we'd like to see a full top pic, and perhaps one with the action locked open. Let's see what more knowledgeable members might have to say...

I'll bestow upon you a suggestion to check out/download the FAQ, which is listed on the bar at the top of each page, in case you haven't found it already. Mucho info!
Unread 09-04-2024, 10:14 AM   #3
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Welcome to the forum, Slav,

Without the gun in-hand, no critique can be "official," but your potential pistol looks mighty nice to me--great condition, with no negative tells that I can perceive. If you study a few YouTubes about how to do it, maybe you can talk the shop into letting you field strip it to check for the numbers on the firing pin and trigger. The asking price seems fair to me, as well, maybe somewhat to your advantage, particularly if you can talk 'em down a tad. High, if all numbers don't match, save the mag. The pics you posted are decent, but we'd like to see a full top pic, and perhaps one with the action locked open. Let's see what more knowledgeable members might have to say...

I'll bestow upon you a suggestion to check out/download the FAQ, which is listed on the bar at the top of each page, in case you haven't found it already. Mucho info!
Thank you very much, IthacaArtist - I had not found the extensive FAQ manual, this is super helpful. Thank you also for the comments above - they are re-assuring.

Great idea on the ask for a field strip - I watched a couple of videos and it does not look too bad, I may even ask if one of them can do it for me (they have some knowledgeable staff there).

I am adding all other photos I have (had a brain fart and did not take proper top strap pictures while at the store....).

Specifically, looking for some feedback on the bore - I added a second picture to the first one. I just could not see any bore pictures on alike listings on GB, so I do not have any reference points aside from my commercial Luger which has a better bore.

Hope they help...Thanks in advance for any additional chime ins here!

Slav
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gto503776_2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	88968  

Name:	IMG_9647.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	88969  

Name:	IMG_9646.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	88970  

Name:	IMG_9645.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	88971  

Name:	IMG_9640.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	88972  

Name:	IMG_9638.jpg
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	88973  

Name:	IMG_9633.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	88974  

Unread 09-04-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,544 Times in 949 Posts

The bore looks somewhat pitted but should not make much difference shooting or pricewise. Hard to tell from photos on the finish. My guess is original. Price is fair. Really a nice looking collectible luger. Enjoy. Bill
Unread 09-04-2024, 11:37 AM   #5
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks for sharing the photos.
I hope you can get some better images in better lighting - like outdoors on a dark background.

The grips look like they are in good shape - no cracks or chips.
They may not be numbered, either. Not a big deal.

The chamber looks like it has a mark on it, but can't see clearly.
Is it 1916?

The finish and bore condition isn't as important as all matching parts, in my opinion.
Rough bores are very common because of the ammunition they used.

I didn't like that the first 2 digits of the serial number are missing on the receiver left side ?

I'm also curious about the barrel, as it seems to have no muzzle wear, although the left side of the receiver and sideplate are clearly worn.

The barrel looks smooth and shiny in one picture, but from underneath it looks very rough.
I think that may be from over-exposing the image and it just looks grainy.

I always look at the strawed parts very carefully - they should have similar discoloration and condition.

Looking forward to more photos.

Last edited by Mac Cat; 09-04-2024 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spellchecker messed me up ...
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 09-04-2024, 12:41 PM   #6
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos.
I hope you can get some better images in better lighting - like outdoors on a dark background.

The grips look like they are in good shape - no cracks or chips.
They may not be numbered, either. Not a big deal.

The chamber looks like it has a mark on it, but can't see clearly.
Is it 1916?

The finish and bore condition isn't as important as all matching parts, in my opinion.
Rough bores are very common because of the ammunition they used.

I didn't like that the first 2 digits of the serial number are missing on the receiver left side ?

I'm also curious about the barrel, as it seems to have no muzzle wear, although the left side of the receiver and sideplate are clearly worn.

The barrel looks smooth and shiny in one picture, but from underneath it looks very rough.
I think that may be from over-exposing the image and it just looks grainy.

I always look at the strawed parts very carefully - they should have similar discoloration and condition.

Looking forward to more photos.
Thank you Mac! Yes - photos are not great - kind of dark in the store and with the glass top shelves, the background is miserable...sorry i could not do better with those.

Yes, the chamber had 1916 stamped on it, it looked fine (going by memory - as the ones I have seen online - larger font than the rest of the stamps)

The receiver left side has all four numbers but on this one photo the toggle is pulled back and locked, so I assume the last two digits are covered by the side plate. That was my concern as well until I saw some other a couple photos with the action closed...it shows the 4 digits there.

The barrel had muzzle wear, but mostly on the very front, and yes - not much on the sides (holstering marks). This is a great observation - I should inspect this area more closely. The hallo seems very prominent on the barrel, so I am looking at this as my most prominent sign of an original finish - am I being correct?

I see what may be some machining marks on the back of the frame, where the safety is - would that be another potential tell on the finish?

Thanks for the comment on the barrel - yes, I also think this is the angle of the picture and the flashlight I had on it for the hallo test...

As for the strawed parts - i just want to ensure they are in alike condition, right? I also watched a video that suggested i should not see circular buff marks on those but straight lines, as this is what the process was when those were heat treated, etc...?

Anything else I should look more carefully into? I am going tonight and if they let me keep it on hold for a couple of more days, i will make more picture to post here. If not, I may need to make a decision on the sport - will see...

Thank you again!
Slav
The following member says Thank You to LugerNewby for your post:
Unread 09-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #7
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think the first 3 pictures are some of the best for color and the straw parts looks pretty good there.

The magazine is the right era. Better if its numbered, even if it doesn't match.

You are right about the receiver serial number being covered up - I missed that it was covered up!

I also think the asking price is pretty fair.

You will want to make sure the grips are snug fitting.

The lack of wear on the barrel may be because it was depot replaced, but it is numbered correctly.

Overall, I also think it's original finish, but you really have to look it over in good lighting.
With the receiver removed, the insides should still be in the white, too.

The ears on the back of the frame almost always show a lot of machine marks, mostly circular.
But, the edges still look sharp and straight.
Heavy buffing usually thins out the acceptance stamps and rounds off the toggle edges.
I didn't see any of that.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 09-04-2024, 04:29 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Looks like a good gun at a decent price...hard to find these days.
Ron
Unread 09-04-2024, 05:03 PM   #9
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Looks like a good gun at a decent price...hard to find these days.
Ron
Thanks Ron - I appreciate the affirmation, very helpful!
Unread 09-04-2024, 05:09 PM   #10
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
I think the first 3 pictures are some of the best for color and the straw parts looks pretty good there.

The magazine is the right era. Better if its numbered, even if it doesn't match.

You are right about the receiver serial number being covered up - I missed that it was covered up!

The lack of wear on the barrel may be because it was depot replaced, but it is numbered correctly.

Overall, I also think it's original finish, but you really have to look it over in good lighting.

The ears on the back of the frame almost always show a lot of machine marks, mostly circular.
Heavy buffing usually thins out the acceptance stamps and rounds off the toggle edges.
Thank you Mac - the above notes are very helpful, I really appreciate it!
Unread 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM   #11
LugerNewby
User

Quote:

Hi Mac -

I went to the LGS this evening and took some more photos, specifically the top strap and the internals. I attach here. A couple of things i noted:

1) The internals were very white, looked shiny and clean / good shape
2) The barrel front was not blued
3) All externally visible small parts numbers matched (05)
4) The mag had 4 digit number and a couple of proof marks, similar as other 1914-1918s I have seen, just non-matching, but it looked period correct (should have taken a pic!)
5) The LGS agreed to keep on hold for me until EOD Friday when I will go back and they said they will have their armorer field strip it for me so I can see the three internal parts that should also be numbered (and matched). One the sales associates was 99% sure they matched as he knew the customer who traded it in and he 'was very particular about those details' - hopefully we confirm on Friday!

Unless anyone sees anything suspicious, my plan is to go back on Friday and if all matches internally, drive a 'little hard bargain' and take it home...

Slav
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9662.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	88975  

Name:	IMG_9663.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	88976  

Name:	IMG_9666.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	88977  

Name:	IMG_9667.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	88978  

Name:	IMG_9668.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	88979  

Name:	IMG_9669.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	88980  

Name:	IMG_9671.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	88981  

Name:	IMG_9672.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	88982  

Name:	IMG_9674.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	88983  

Name:	IMG_9675.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	88984  

Unread 09-05-2024, 09:20 AM   #12
velodog455~
User

I think $1,700 is reasonable if it's all matching. That's just to say that IMHO I would not let it slip away if you like it, even though the shop may not be willing to lower the full $1,700 asking price.
-Bob
velodog455~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to velodog455~ for your post:
Unread 09-10-2024, 10:49 PM   #13
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodog455~ View Post
I think $1,700 is reasonable if it's all matching. That's just to say that IMHO I would not let it slip away if you like it, even though the shop may not be willing to lower the full $1,700 asking price.
-Bob
An update - I went in, and had the pistol field stripped - all internals matched, including the grips. All looked good, they knocked off $100, so I got it for $1,600 - seemed like a good / fair price. I will take pictures over the weekend during daylight and post here.

Now, as I was picking it up today, they showed me a commercial Luger they had just gotten in (not even on the floor), and I think it is a good buy ($800), so I am posting some pictures, with a couple of questions re: commercials:

1) Which parts are supposed to be matching on a commercial model - I did see the barrel and receiver with full SN, the side plate, the takedown lever and the rear toggle link with last two #s. Two GERMANY marks - one on the receiver up front, and another on the magazine (hard to see on the pic).
2) The pistol does not hold open (by racking the slide back with magazine in) - is this normal for some commercial models? My current commercial model will hold open. The one in the store did not hold open even with the military mag, and the commercial mag held open the military gun, so it is something with the commercial gun in the store - typical or not?
3) Anything unusual you may see on the pics?

Thanks agian to everyone who chimed in, you all were super helpful in building up my confidence getting the 1916 model...;-)

Slav
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9715.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	88990  

Name:	IMG_9713.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	88991  

Name:	IMG_9711.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	88992  

Name:	IMG_9710.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	88993  

Name:	IMG_9708.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	88994  

Name:	IMG_9705.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	88995  

Name:	IMG_9704.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	88996  

Name:	IMG_9703.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	88997  

Name:	IMG_9702.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	88998  

Name:	IMG_9701.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	88999  

The following 2 members says Thank You to LugerNewby for your post:
Unread 09-10-2024, 11:15 PM   #14
HerrKaiser
User

For $800 that’s a good deal. It’s an alphabet commercial that has a busted or missing hold-open, but rest of the condition seems good in the photos provided.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 09-11-2024, 09:43 AM   #15
BIT 525
New User

I'd be bringing that one home for 800
BIT 525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to BIT 525 for your post:
Unread 09-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #16
Randall_G
User

Agreed.

Good deal for $800. Even if it's not matching. I'd buy it.
Randall_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Randall_G for your post:
Unread 09-11-2024, 10:37 AM   #17
Randall_G
User

Oh, and regarding the hold open. If you have an opportunity to remove the receiver, you can observe how high the hold open latch is being pushed up by the magazine follower. For example, see photos in this thread:

https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42498

You may find a Mec-Gar magazine will push the hold open latch higher, such that it will engage with the receiver.
Randall_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Randall_G for your post:
Unread 09-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #18
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
For $800 that’s a good deal. It’s an alphabet commercial that has a busted or missing hold-open, but rest of the condition seems good in the photos provided.
Thanks for the note, Mr. Kaiser! Can you elaborate on the 'alphabet commercial' - I am still new into the Lugers, so learning the lingo...;-)

Slav
Unread 09-11-2024, 11:37 AM   #19
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall_G View Post
Agreed.

Good deal for $800. Even if it's not matching. I'd buy it.
Thanks for the re-affirmation!

I did note the 5 spots that I saw matching (2 full SN and three last two digits). Are there any other small parts where the last two should be matching on a commercial variant?

My understanding is that the matching on commercials is 1) in a lot less spots 2) less visible (not on the open areas) and 3) more sporadic (less consistent).

If there are any other typical internal or external parts the commercials are stamped, I would love to know! (I have the full list on military, so I expect it to be a smaller subset for sure).

Thank you again!
Slav
Unread 09-11-2024, 11:47 AM   #20
LugerNewby
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall_G View Post
Oh, and regarding the hold open. If you have an opportunity to remove the receiver, you can observe how high the hold open latch is being pushed up by the magazine follower. For example, see photos in this thread:

https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42498

You may find a Mec-Gar magazine will push the hold open latch higher, such that it will engage with the receiver.
Thank you - this was useful to review and understand some more. Good approach for sure - will keep it in mind!
The following member says Thank You to LugerNewby for your post: