LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
chromeed
User

Default Odd HAENEL Magazine

I purchased a lot of 3 Magazines in order to get 1 real nice wood base Nickel plated for my 1918 Artillary and one nice Al. base Blue one for my 1936 S/42 in with the two was this HAENEL Schmeisser.
It looks like it was Hard chrome plated I can tell by the slight chrome burn on the edge and the chrome miss above the word patent where the follower button was sitting during the plating process. Were any of these Chrome plated? If it was reworked what was the original finish? I think it was made during WW II.
What is the significance of the Markings?
Attached Images

For my 1936 P-08 Mag #5800 will trade Mag Al Stamped Blue #6859 k Straight Eagle 655 & #3502 n+St Eagle 63
For my 1917 Artillary Wood Mag #9220 I have #3392 f +
chromeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

This is one of the last ones made. I can't tell any of the markings excedpt that it was a police (#1 2 or #3)

Yes, it is chrome, but not hard chrome. Should be shiny in appearance.

Our new book will cover police magazines a bit more in depth than Joop and Don's did.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
chromeed
User

The only markings other HAENEL -> Schmeisser Patent on the side is the number 1 and #3251 on the aluminum base.
The chrome is shiny in appearance and it is plated directly over the extruded steel we call this functional chromium (slang is hard chrome) verses Decrotive chromium which is plated over bright nickel like on a Pickup truck bumper or a Harley.
This magazine shure functions smoothly and it slides in and out of my Lugers nicely.
I will try it in my Stainless Steel Luger which is fussy about Magazines the next time I go to the range.
Does anyone have an idea of the value of this Magazine?
By the way it would be better to have the chrome plating on the inside of the magazine as chrome has low friction, anti gauling and good ware resistance.
For my 1936 P-08 Mag #5800 will trade Mag Al Stamped Blue #6859 k Straight Eagle 655 & #3502 n+St Eagle 63
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

In the 1980's folks refered to hard chrome as a harder chrome, at least that is how I remember... I have been told that hard chrome is differnet than chromium, but you seem to already have known the answer before I replied.

Yes, i know the value of magazines like this; but would need to see better pictures of the magazine full left, rull right and base to give a good value. Anywhere from $85-$150
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
chromeed
User

Thanks Edward,
I thought that someone had reworked and Chrome plated it. I am supprised that they chrome plated the Magazines. Do you know what years they chrome plated them?
I have worked for the largest supplier of chrome plating processes for 43 yr. We developed and patented the chrimium plating process in the mid 1920's (BEFORE MY TIME) We sell to FN Mfg. for barrels who make the M-16 in South Carolina. and our process was used at Watervliet Arsenal, known as "America's Cannon Factory"to plate the barrels of Big Artillary gun barrels.
Ed Reimbold
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

ah, I see

I actually expect to see the chrome bodies as being earlier than the pinned base model you have. (mid 1920's to early 1930-ish)

I happen to have the Mauser Parebellum book with me; lets see what Don has to say;

He doesn't have any chromed flat bottom, concave pinned magazines. He states that it should be blued, which was my original feeling...

So, my feeling is that the side marked chromed Haenel would normally have a traditional base, and then later the blued would have a "flat bottom" to the body and not a concave base on the body of the magazine. So, your feeling that it may have been chromed or modified is very possible if not probable.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
chromeed
User

Default More Info on Haenel & Schmeisser

I dug this up on the internet
Interesting.
HAENEL, C.G.
Previous firearms manufacturer located in Suhl, Germany 1840-1946.
The firm was originally established by Carl Gustav Haenel. Herbert Haenel, grandson of the firm's founder, ran the organization from his father's death in 1917 until the firm was taken over by government decree on July 24, 1946. After the second World War, Haenel was disowned without compensation by the so called "Thueringer Gesetz". At the same time the name of the company was stricken from the register and became a part of VEB Ernst-Thaelmann. The firm's old plant then operated under the name Ernst-Thaelmann-Werke VEB until Germany was re-united.
During 1840-WWII, C.G. Haenel manufactured a variety of sporting longarms, mostly concentrating on bolt action rifles, drillings, and SxS shotguns. The author would like to thank Mr. Dietrich Apel and the German Gun Collectors Association for providing the company history.

The "Sturmgewehr" - Haenel / Schmeisser MP 43 MP 44 Stg. 44 assault rifle Hugo Schmeisser led the Haenel development team, which produced the first working prototypes of new weapon by 1942, known as MKb.42(H).
December 1944 officially christened it the Sturmgewehr, or Assault Rifle, 1944 (StG.44) This was a pure act of propaganda, but the name stuck not only to that gun, but also to the whole new class of automatic weapons designed to fire intermediate cartridges.
I did not know that anyone ever actually mass produced a gun with a curved barrel This device had a special mirror sighting adapter and reduced the bullet velocity down to mere 300 meters per second due to the high friction in the curved barrel extension. This apparently did not bother the German Army, since these curved barrel adapters were intended for short-range encounters only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mp44-3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	15797  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mp44-4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	15798  

Unread 11-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I remember seeing a picture of an M3 greasegun with a curved barrel; I think most gov'ts have tried it