LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-03-2001, 08:30 PM   #1
tom
User

Default Importing

Importing Guns-BEWARE

To the list:

I have been involved with importing Lugers in the past; I will not be doing it in the future!

As a hobby collector, I do not have the wherewithall (read: Time to deal with the federal BS required to get an import license) to do this on my own, so I have had to use the services of intermediaries. They have been, without exception, EXCELLENT.

The problem is the source of the piece, normally Canadian or European. Thats when things start getting "upgephuqued", to use a colloquialism familiar to most toggle top afficianados.

The bottom line is you do not have convenient recourse if the piece is not as described, as you are not "directly" purchasing from the seller. Its a lot like the notorious "Straw Man" sale that ATF nails people for doing..an intermediatery consumates the deal. Your complaint would be with the middle-man but he has made no claims about the piece; he is merely acting as agent. So, unless you have a few lawyers standing around with nothing to do but on your payroll (I think only los federales!), you should probably stay away from importing. If you e-mail me off list, I will provide the name of the Canadian vendor.

Problem: if there is something wrong with the gun after you receive it (In my last case 14 months), with whom do you register your complaint?

Simply stated, unless you are dealing with a KNOWN and REPUTABLE overseas firm, avoid this.