LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-16-2001, 12:41 PM   #1
Trond Erik Tveit

Default Luger ammo + etc.

Hello !

Recently a friend of mine bought a WW2 Luger produced by Mauser Werke in 1940 and marked S42.

When start shooting with our local gun-club it appeard that the kind of ammo we used was not the proper one.We are quite unknown to what kind of ammo that is the real one for this classic gun today.

The gun was mostly jamming all the time.

The ammo we tried out was the same one as used on H&K's MP5 which did not work out at all.Then we tried some PARABELLUM's but actually without any major results.

Then we was told that todays 9mm ammo was to "hard"? for the old Luger,is this true?

I do hope that there does excist some kind of ammo that we can use for enjoying the shooting of this gun today or else this would be a disaster to us.

Can somebody help and/or tell us what sort/name/fabricate of ammo we can use?

Please advice.

During Luger equipments,such as the wooden "anschlagshaft"(stock/holster),the drum magazine and the "safety-line"? at the back of it,if anybody know what I mean...

I was just wondering how rare these items really are and what sort of prices we are talking about then.

In advance thank you all very much for all your help and time.

Best regards

Trond Erik Tveit

Norway

Unread 08-16-2001, 01:12 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Luger ammo + etc.

Did you try a different magazine? Lugers are very function sensitive to the magazine.

The S/42 code was last used in the first part of 1939, so the Luger is a parts pistol. The mis-matched parts may not be functioning together properly. Best to have a qualified Luger-smith check it out for function.

The Trommel or "snail drum" magazine is a fairly scarce accessory for the LP08 here in the US. Depending upon which model and condition, most prices will range from $750 to $1250 US.

Unread 08-16-2001, 01:25 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Welcome to the Lugerforum Trond Erik Tveit...

Please open a profile and tell us about yourself and your interest in Lugers.

You can use the "search" function at the top of the Main message board to search for "ammo" and you will find many discussions on the proper ammunition for you luger.

I think what others meant by "hard" ammunition is that much military ammunition today is designed for use in submachine guns and semi-auto pistols made of modern materials and may be too hot a load for the Luger...

The standard military load that was designed for the luger pistol uses a 124 grain bullet.

Take Johnny Peppers good advice and have your gun checked by a gunsmith that is familiar with Lugers. If you can travel to Sweden with your pistol, you can visit with HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr who specializes in Lugers. His website is: http://www.vapensmedjan.com/

and his email address is: customluger@telia.com

I am sure he can fix whatever may be wrong with your Luger.

-John

Unread 08-16-2001, 03:43 PM   #4
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

Hi Erik

Your jamming does is likely not caused by to hard ammo.

Most often is the jams caused by to weak ammo compered to the extremely hard recoil springs a lot of those guns have.

The best as I see it is to try a cuople of more magazines and have the gun checked by a gunsmith who knows lugers.

The reason for having the gun checked is not that i think it can blow up in you'r face but the fact that many of those guns are to much manipulated by people in the past.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr

Ps. Thanks john for your kinds words.

http://www.vapensmedjan.com
Unread 08-17-2001, 11:00 PM   #5
Tracy

Trond

Do all the numbers match on your S/42 1940? Youmay have what is called an out of sequence manufactured Luger per Jan Still Luger author. I just purchased an all matching S/42 1940 imported from Ukraine it also has Kriegoff grips on it. I got it from a reputable importer. I know people are always suspicious but at the price I paid there would be no profit in faking it. Welcome to the Luger Forum. My relatives immigrated from Demark Christensen was my original name.

Tracy