LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Certain Prices Of Lugers Are sky Rocketing!

This year for example the 1902 wide barrel are now $15- $18k. The most have to include the 1900 Test luger. Recently a Test piece and holster brought close to $20k. Early Kreighoffs are all over the charts. Over all, buy the best and rarest purchase that you can afford. Many dealers will take monthly payments. This is the way I purchased all of my 12 beauties. Buy a luger that will stand out to the competition! I can attest the nice ones if they have a matching anything will be more valuable and have the greatest return. I.E. a regiment marking or matching mags are the sweetest. PS There are fakes out there especialy mismarked tools. Jerry Burney especally warns about fake Kreighoff tool forgeries! Before you buy run it by our friends. Each of whom even published book on our favorite compassion or collected for over 20 years.
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
calibrator
User

That is surely good advice, for collectors/investors. One thing I don't understand completely (and maybe you can help me understand the psychology), is the following;

I've been interested in Lugers more so over the last 4-5 yrs, and belong to both forums you also visit. Why is it that there is no adjustment for values tied to inflation? I mean, EVERYTHING goes up in value each year. Why is it that the "Experts" are ALWAYS likely to say that a Luger that is not 100% unmolested is worth $500-700 all day long?

Do they do it to hold prices low, so they can acquire cheaper to sell higher? There IS a finite number of Lugers out there, no more will be made. Seems to me they'd be doing themselves a favor by adjusting this benchmark number upward each year for when it came time to sell that item they got that "Walked" itself into the Gunshow.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Every one of my collection I purchase from one of our family. Never from anyone else. Gunshow can get you into trouble. Their trick is using the Blue Book of values to convience you your real nice luger is worth one on the mill! They won't use it to determine for what they will price when selling are selling it! The next show he is selling you gun for 300% more. The problem to buy from a pawn shop its usually worth 2-3 times what they will pay! Don't buy a luger from some nice little old man in the parking lot. First it may be stolen. Second don't conduct transactions in a parking lot. Somebody may be watching you hand over of cash. Finally, I sure you never would pickup your wife in a parking lot. Determine what your looking for before stepping into the war zone! Eric
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Calibrator
I agree with you. I keep hearing about the $500 to 650 lugers but never see them, at least not around here. I agree with Eric. Buying them on the Forums is better. But remember there are a lot of people on the forums. Most are totally honest but we like everywhere have our 10 percent. The buyer is the one who better know what he is looking at. Books and questions can save money and headaches. Bill
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bill, I totally agree with you! I would feel safer with you or any other member. You can tell allot from their posts. I chose jurors for over 20 years and allot can be gleemed with what they won't say or avoid! I've got a big typing finger and I can use it. Remember one world war began with one trigger finger and another ended with a simple push just three decades later!!