LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default stock lug restoration

Gentlemen:

What can/has been done, by whom, and for how many dollars, in the realm of replacing/restoring a ground-off stock lug? I recall having read somewhere on the forum that it had been done before

Another question is what happened to the short scrap(?) frame pieces after John Martz joined their long mates to create his Luger .45 ACPs? I wonder if they could have been, themselves, re-welded into little Lugers for .22 or other cal. shorts...but it would also be a good source of elements to save machining time, add back a bit of originality, and restore functional capability in the case of a grip devoid of proper lug.

Dang! Then I'd have to find a stock!
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

I have heard of this being done, on several occasions.

Cost is not worth it unless it has sentimental value or you are 'one of those guys, who do silly things (I am in that category, so... )

1. Cost of frame to cut up, if lucky someone has a messed up frame but that is harder to obtain ($50 if very luck, but most likely $200-$250)

2. Cutting and then welding the old to the new x2 (kinda) so what $200

3. Fixing and then rebluing properly (kinda in the above, but many times, the fixing and rebluing are separate) $100-$300 (or more)

So, by the time you get done, I would guess a $300 if lucky, but I think $600-$800 for a project like that?

just my 2 cents

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes, Ed, I'm in the brotherhood, as you can tell by my former avatar and latest question about the Martz scraps. But let's call it "fanciful" of "creative" or "outside-the-box". Some can only do things to turn a profit, follow the herd, etc. but it's all about having fun when it comes right down to it, don't you think?

I saw a posting about John and his work, having seen his name come up many times as a Luger Wizard, Smith, and Fabricator. He seems to have been a great guy with a great imagination and talent. His assembly jig/positioner was something perfectly sensible, simple and elegant. I'd say the effectiveness of his tooling is evidenced by its results--beautiful modified Lugers.
I'd have to apply every iota of skill and precision I could muster, but am confident I could position and TIG the appropriate parts together myself, for a restoration like this. And I might not worry about the finish so much at this point as the rest of the Arty could be prettier, as well.
Anything possible can be created with enough time, money, and imagination applied. And what did not start out as an idea--falling asleep contented at the end of the day is just about all I could ask.
Don't worry, I won't start hacking away at my Luger until I've experienced it for a while as it is when it arrives. Time enough to wait it out for that lucky $50. frame with its top end destroyed.
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi David, A more cost affective approach would be to buy a shooter Luger and switch frames. You would then just have to find someone to re-number the frame to match. The shooter Luger would still be worth about the same. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Technically illegal to renumber the frame...

Only if the number has been obliterated and then the same number put on or a new BATF number?

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, a good idea also.

However, this one is my shooter!! Aside from the grip-chip, surface conditions, and missing lug, the other aspects of it are collectible. I figured a restored lug might have no, or better effect on its value, for when I pass it on (or pass!). So, I agree heartily about starting off with a shooter. At least this would show that somebody wanted to do good things to it, as opposed to grinding stuff off. I would like to keep doing nice things to it, like the subsequent refinishing and re-strawing of parts. Since I would be trying a lot of the processes I felt capable of myself, I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be undone later--lug replacement excepted. And I can wait indefinitely for that $50 chunk of frame...

I consider the experience of caring for and feeding this LP-08 the end, and the goal. I also like to do unusual, distinctive, funny, exotic, exacting, profound, attractive work as it is. How am I supposed to keep my hands off this gun?

Just remember, it's Luger fever!

D.P.
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Conny
User

I have a John Martz Artillery Luger frame I will sell. It is very rusty and not worth the money to have restored (for me). Basically, a paperweight. However, the stock lug is there if you need it. $50.00 won't touch it.

Ed, I don't know if I should post this here or for sale section or list price now or??????? Just trying to help a fellow Luger lover.
Unread 06-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Wink Got what you need!

Hi ithacaartist, I'm your huckleberry!..........I have a back half of a luger frame (with lug), cut down thru the grip screw holes.. DWM or Mauser... $25.00 plus postage and your in business!! ... Let me know, I don't suspect I'll have a big run on them anytime soon?? But, who knows?? Best to all, til...lat'r....GT BTW, you can reach me at: gctomeks@msn.com
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Woo-hooo!

Gentlemen:

I am amazed and gratified for contributions of all, but G.T. really got my attention, there. Email sent.

, if you know what I mean.

Conny, I agree that even a rusty Martz frame would be untouchable due to the stigma of so much collectibility attached to it!

Sounds like G.T. hit the nail right on the head--just what I want, a sawed-off, orphan chunk. I can see it now, you're standing by the scrap barrel poised to drop it in, but then hesitate, and think, "Nah, I'd better not."

Thanks again, G.T.!

David Parker
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default pretty much right!

Yup! Save everything twice!..... My dad was a "King packrat!" and I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...??... Anyway, might just as well be "recycled" as it is a better fate then rusting away in my parts pile.. Best to all, Glad I could be of assistance.. til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
DaveinTN
User

I know I and others on the forum would interested to see some before, during, and after photos of your project.
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes, rest assured that you'll be with me every step of the way.
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Stock lug....

DWM rear frame half with stock lug is in the mail! Pretty nice too! Going to be interesting to see how this turns out?? John V. Martz used to perform this restoration all the time, although I don't remember where he made the bottom cut?? ...best to all, til...lat'r...GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: