LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
ssmith
New User

Default 1914 DWM question

Hello, I'M new to the forum AND new to Lugar collecting. So please be kind to me..I'm trying to educate myself on these beautiful weapons.

I have an opportunity to trade a guitar for a 1914DWM Luger. I have not seen the Luger yet only spoke to the owner over the phone.

The owner stated that he just picked it up.. went to fire it and after it fired the trigger "jammed" he took it to a mom and pop gun shop and they replaced a "spring" but it's still jammed.

Could he have damaged the weapon by firing new manufacture rounds? could it be as simple as needing a cleaning?

just wondering if it is worth getting.
ssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Your plight is not funny; but it is typical. Anybody can go on the net and get ample instruction on how to tear down and build up a Luger. There is no excuse why a gunsmith should replace a spring and leave the gun being still jammed.
But, that is what happens when Bubba works on Lugers.
If the man isn't a REAL PRO don't let him tinker with your Luger.
Jammed could mean one of several things.
The owners needs to get it right before you consider a purchase.
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
ssmith
New User

I couldn't agree more about having a pro look at it. I just need to find one in my area. I wouldn't even try to work on one..

I don't think he wants to do anything else on it, maybe I will pass on it. I really want a Luger but I want one that is functional. It was a trade on my part the gun plus Cash for my guitar. but it sounds like there might be too much wrong with it to consider. Thanks for your comment.
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

It kind of depends on the relative values of the guitar and Luger. What is the value of the guitar and how much extra dollars is he offering? If the Luger is in nice condition and all matching (except possibly the magazine) it could approach close to $2000 (it would have to be real nice to go that high) and a proper Luger gunsmith can make it work. The dollar amounts involved and details and photos of the Luger are necessary to tell you whether it is a fair trade or not.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

If the guitar is worth less than $500 then I'll take a WAG that you wouldn't be hurt on the trade. If the guitar is worth $750, then things get really murky, and if it is worth $1000 or more, better hold on to what you've got.
But we REALLY need more info. to respond 1.) specifically and 2.) intelligently.
I'm guessing that the Luger owner is about ready to make a killer deal on a gun that doesn't work and that the local gunsmith can't fix. It is, to him, a paperweight.
Good luck and keep us posted!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Tony Min
User

Almost anything can be fixed. If it is a nice Luger it is still worth $500 IMO Worst case it would take $200 to repair unless there is obvious frame or slide damage.
I know some are going to say that is too much but as a recent purchaser, prices are high right now. A nice looking and working gun under $1000 is becoming a rarity.
But you could use this as bargaining power and get it cheap. Offer him $400 if the finish is nice. If a rusty hulk $200 With the help of Youtube learn how to take it apart. You can't own a Luger and not know how to do that.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
mystical_tutor
User

ssmith;

The above advice on comparative values and professional evaluation are all right on. As far as the shooting experience I would make the following comment:

Let me understand what you are saying.

Jammed. Does this mean that a round improperly fed and the piece could not go into battery?

If the magazine spring is what he replaced then he probably had the right idea, just not a strong enough spring. If that is the kind of jam you are experiencing I will post what I posted for Tony:

1) 90% of Luger jams are caused by bad mags. My suggestion would be to trade off the present mag to someone that wants it as a collectors piece or just retire it. Then find and buy one of the circa. 1975 Mauser mags--Unused if possible. There was a very practical reason that Germany issued a loading tool with every Luger. Because, if you can load a magazine without a loading tool you are a prime candidate for stovepipe jams.
Thus a question. Were you using a loading tool when you tried to load your mag? If not than 4 rounds is about right unless it is a mechanical problem with your mag that it won't take the rounds (i.e something inside it, wrong type spring, it is bent or some such)
2) You will do yourself a favor to save the wooden bottom mag in any case. The newer Mauser mags have plastic bottoms and will serve you quite well, at least mine do.
3) The well meaning advice that you need "stronger ammo" should be politely ignored. I have loaded and fired a few thousand rounds of 9mm and found that the standard handloading manual loads work quite fine (Unique powder seems to work best for me).

Replacement springs for magazines that are not just cosmetic are very hard to find. I look for the whenever I can for extra social mags.

I also do not store my mags loaded. My social Luger is for travel. At home I have revolvers.

Let me know how it comes out. There certainly could be other problems but this is a real important step because without a shooting mag nothing else will work.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
ssmith
New User

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. The owner now states the trigger is missing, still not bad but wondering how he said he fired it without a trigger in succession... Sounds kid of shady now.

My guitar Is a vintage Martin 1928 Parlor model worth 2k I'm now offering him 100.00 cash and he can buy the guitar outright if he wants it.

I still want a luger but will just save and get a decent functioning item. I have a P-38 and other firearms but there is something about a Luger I have always liked. I'm 46 and would say that I have wanted one since I was six...

Thanks again for the assistance and when I do get a Luger I will come back for more advice.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Tony Min
User

How the heck do you lose the trigger?
I would buy it. But you are right to try cheap first.
I know how you feel. I wanted a Luger since I was 5. My brother had a toy Luger that looked very real and I loved the way it looked
I finally got mine last week.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

A Luger missing parts that "jams" sounds quite strange. It might be worth a few hundred in parts, but isn't a complete firearm and probably isn't worth your time. Someone with experience might find it useful, or even fix it - but why take the risk...

There is a nice sounding "shooter" grade Luger on our for sale page now offered by a reliable member.