LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts
Default Historic Luger to go on Display

Here is a fascinating, little known operation which was meant to kill Hitler. It is amazing that this museum has three of the ten pistols developed for the operation in its collection.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/491...ps-Murder-Plot
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Graf Spee
User

It was amazing how he didn't have guards close to him. I realized they were place throughout the journey to the tea house.
Thanks for the interesting post
Graf Spee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The Obersaltzburg had several "rings" of security around it, which appeared low key but where fairly hermetic. Nobody was allowed within miles of Berthesgaden without a proper Aushwiez. Hitler enjoyed his stroll from his residence down to the Teahouse most every morning along a path that still exists today. He insisted on taking this walk alone or with one or two close advisors.
This mission required a night parachute drop into the inner security "ring" and then a reasonably long distance shot from the woods toward the grassy, open part of the path to the Teahouse.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

I have been to where Hitlers house was - there is only the remains of the foundations - however the big hotel that you could see use if you were military (The Walker Hotel) is the one you see as the large building in all the nazi get together videas you see. About 10 years ago (??), when the germans took it over they bulldozed almost the entire hotel and most things around it. We had gone back there and with my brother, and we wanted to show him the area.
When we were there in the 90's you could see various places where security was. And I remember there were SS barracks at the Hotel (Berghoff?) and we found a large building that was just down the road, and it housed 3 or 4 Panzer tanks as extra security from that time.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 08-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
hansfischer007
User

Cool Hitlers House….The Berghof

..over the years….I have made maybe half a dozen trips to the site of Hitlers House…..the Berghof…..last time I was there…..the garage was the only part of the house still standing……a close friend of mine was over there once….went into the garage…noticed an opening on the top left corner of the wall……approx…..3'X4'……he and couple friends came back late at nite….climbed thru the opening…and found 8 rooms still intact in the basement……of course they had all been looted….but he gave me a couple of photos showing them in there…….now of course…everything is gone…..the garage remains have been bulldozed…as well as the Hotel General Walker……in place stands a Holocaust Museum………...///////...be that as it may…..i did manage to bring back 6 bricks out of the foundation of the Berghof…(bookends in my Library) and the Iron Metal cutoff valve to the plumbing system….(they were digging up part of the trail from the General Walker down to the Berghof site……..when I went thru Security in Munich airport….the Polizei took me in the back room and questioned me in regards to the bricks……….needless to say…..I spun a long story about being employed with a brick company here in my home town…and I got the bricks from a building being built…and they were to be put on display in our showroom at the office…. don't think they really believed me 100% but I speak a little German…..and my Great Grandfather and most of my Family are from the Rheinland Pfalz area…….add to that I showed them a photo of my distant cousin that was in the 3rd Panzer Regiment…Won the Ritterkreuz…..so we parted friends………Every Trip is an Adventure…
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to hansfischer007 for your post:
Unread 08-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

also, when we went there for military trips, you could pay to go into the basement / cellers of the Walker, which we did, nothing too neat, although cool signs in german. But we knew that they used to be used during the war.

Also, one of the houses had tours of their basement that used to belong to Himmler or someone? And of course you could see lots of areas where cellars were buried in, man made caves flooded and off limits (most of this I heard 2nd hand from soldiers from other military bases.) But have heard many stories, and when I went to Berlin for Lifeguard course for my unit, we practiced in an Olympic pool that had been built to train the germans before the Olympics. On the big barracks high above you could see shell hits, and swatikas in the brick work, the two men statues out front were obviously Aryan looking. Very interesting to go there.

Sorry to get off topic. Oh, and many, many of the US and British bases in Germany were old SS, Army and Luftwaffe bases that we took over
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
rolandtg
User

I assume the spring would have been modified to allow the Luger to cycle properly with that large suppressor.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
danielsand
User

It's been a while that I posted here, because I am still in my infancy concerning the knowledge of the Parabellum P08. Been reading every day though, and learning a TON.

Something prompted me to post here today. EXCELLENT article by the OP, and I read it with a lot of interest. ONE thing sounded "funny" to me. The article states that one of the hitmen was armed with K98, and the shot would've been difficult, because this rifle is good "only to about 300 meters". I must admit I never shot the K98, but.......just returned from the "outing" in the mountains, where I regulary shoot Yugoslavian M48, out to 600+ meters with great accuracy. And it's not even scoped. Since I don't want to alter the weapon in any way, (and I detest "scout" scopes) this little gem will never be scoped as long as I'm alive, but IF I was to scope it, I am POSITIVE I could "bang the gong" at a much longer distance.

So what's this nonsense about K98 being "unfit for anything over 300"?
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

D:
You may have a point, but shooting targets and sniping with open sights are 2 distinctly different ballgames. Every year I hunt whitetail deer with open sights, and the tall blowing grass, the shadows from trees (sometimes moving if it is windy), the colors that all run together, partial targets behind trees, blades of grass or sticks in the way, old eyes, etc, etc, etc, all add up to real challenges. And shots rarely exceed 100 yds. What was an easy shot at the range can easily become a complete miss in the field.
I always manage to kill a deer, but it makes me appreciate what an improvement the telescope is to riflery. And to tackle a one shot kill on a heavily guarded man at 300M with a K98 would be challenging to say the very least.
Or it certainly would be for me...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtg View Post
I assume the spring would have been modified to allow the Luger to cycle properly with that large suppressor.
There were special rounds with low velocity and heavier bullets to shoot lugers fitted with supressors.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/docum...Cartridges.pdf

Last edited by kurusu; 09-23-2014 at 07:05 AM.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote