LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
hotshot
New User

Default Death of a Luger

I am trying to track down a t.v. programme, probably aired on one of the DIscovery channels around 2000, during which the stripping down of and subsequent breaking down of a Luger was illustrated. I have written to Discovery who have said that without additional detail they are unable to assist.....anybody out there in a position to assist..?????
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
stefanosg
User

The only program that I am aware of in the "Discovery Channel" group is a series called Tales of the Gun. One episode deals mostly with German small arms and another primarily on the Luger. I am not sure ,however, if they go into detail on how to strip it down. Both can be found at history.com. That sounds more instructional. If you are looking for info on stripping a Luger, the technical info section here has a good diagram on how to. I recently got a book called "Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly: Automatic Pistols" by JB Wood. Its nice because it has good illustrations text and covers many, many other semi autos, such as the c96 and p38.
stefanosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Re: Death of a Luger

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshot
I am trying to track down a t.v. programme, probably aired on one of the DIscovery channels around 2000, during which the stripping down of and subsequent breaking down of a Luger was illustrated. I have written to Discovery who have said that without additional detail they are unable to assist.....anybody out there in a position to assist..?????
Lee, kind of an odd first posting... I think welcome to the forum....

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
shadow
User

I recently purchased my first luger and was wondering how it worked and how to take it apart. Before I bought this luger I had only held a luger once about twenty years ago, had never seen one apart, and had no idea how it worked. Several people suggested that I buy "Luger Mechanical Features" which is an animated e-book that gives clear concise explanation of how the gun functions. This e-book was worth every penny and is possibly the most clear and concise book I have ever read on explaining any mechanical system. This e-book can be found at http://users.skynet.be/HL-Editions/ebook/future.htm

In addition I bought an American Gunsmithing Institute Luger Armorer's Video Course at http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=10. The video course was nowhere as good as something the Discovery channel would produce but it was two hours long and it did show how to completely disassemble and reassemble the gun. After watching the course a couple of times I was able to completely disassemble, clean, and reassembly my luger on the day I brought it home.

In addition I found that this website has a wealth of knowledge, and the experts here are willing to share their knowledge.

Here is a photo of my luger taken apart.
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/p3200001lr2.jpg
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
thegundude
User

Shadow, that's a pretty cool site. Are those EBooks downloadable and viewable from a Palm (Tungsten E2)? There were quite a few books I'd love to have but I only read from the Palm or actual (real) books...

Thanks for providing that link. That may come in useful...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
shadow
User

I donĂ¢??t know. I couldn't find anything in their website indicating that the book could be read on a palm or pocket PC device. I keep the book on my laptop computer. Perhaps you could e-mail the site and ask them.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

if your palm has PDF capabilities, then it should work, as that is what the ebooks are if I remember right...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 03-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Sorry but the Henrotin Luger ebooks are not PDF based. They are based on encrypted HTML and will not work on a palm... I am not sure about a pocket PC because I don't own one. The books are locked to the PC they are first installed on because the unlock password is based on your email address and some other variable in your PC. The books are well worth the short money they cost and are very informative.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks John, i couldn't remember, was thinking they were pdf
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV