LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
rmaple
New User

Default Drum magazine question

When my dad passed a couple years ago, I inherited the small gun collection he built in the late 50s/early 60s, which includes among other things a very nice 1942 P08 and a drum magazine. I intend to keep the gun as a shooter, but am considering selling the magazine. It has some condition issues, including a "well used" finish, mismatched serial number on the top and bottom, and a missing center screw opposite the winding handle. It does have the dust cover, as well as a shorter piece that slides onto the shaft ahead of the dust cover. SN opposite the winding handle is 353883, on the winding handle side is 667162. Both sides carry the B/N stamp. I am curious when it (they) might have been built, and how much it might be worth.
Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000424.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	29957

Name:	P1000425.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	29958

Name:	P1000426.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	29959

Name:	P1000427.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	29960
rmaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,350 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Ray,

I have an artillery Luger and certainly desire a trommel mag., however, they are selling at a range that is out of any practical reach for me! Others will likely contribute comments soon--and possibly correct anything I have to say--so you have come to the right place for any info about these accessories.

I think the extra piece, other than the dust cover, is the adapter which allows this drum mag to be used with an MP-40 SMG.

Value will be over $1,000, I'll bet. I'm not sure how much the current condition of yours, or its mis-matched numbers, will affect a selling price; but it is definitely collectible because these drums are sought after and relatively scarce. If it functions correctly, it will be a big plus for its worth, regardless of appearance or markings.

David Parker
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

WWI era, used later too.

The screw missing causes me some pause, if it works, then yes, a thousand+, if not, then less, maybe $600 to $900?
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

A small correction. The adapter is for use in the Bergmann MP 18 SMG.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
MikeP
User

If one hsd an example of the missing screw , the fellow at Evans obsolete screws could turn one out in a jiffy.

Good guy.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
rmaple
New User

Thanks for the info! I can't say for sure if it works or not, as I've never tried it - I'm not even sure how to test it. I know there was a loading tool, but I don't have one and don't know if it is required. I was able to slip one round in, but without a thumb knob to compress the spring (just a small spring loaded pin in a slot long enough for one round), I'm not sure how to load additional rounds. The internals appear to be intact - springs seem strong. I'm reluctant to wind too far given the missing screw. Thanks again!
rmaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
A small correction. The adapter is for use in the Bergmann MP 18 SMG.
Well, I got the "adapter" part of it right. See what I mean about the best info coming along eventually?

I think it is possible, though extremely difficult, to load a trommel mag by hand, but it may become so difficult toward the end that you'll give up after a couple dozen rounds. I've seen loading tools on Gunsamerica, listing for $595; I'm not sure how fair this price is.

By all means, get a replacement screw. A good bet would be to wait and see if another drum mag owner on the forum can give you that info. It's easier to find something when you know what you're looking for...
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

A loading tool in that price range, ($595) is going to be a replica. Originals go for almost as much as the Trommel Magazine.

Also, don't get sucked into a low end "Package Deal". Both the cover and adapter are rare and desirable. They worth into the hundreds of dollars each. You may want to consider selling these seperately for the best return on your investement.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote