LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
mystical_tutor
User

Default Gun Safes

We have had two disastrous fires here in Colorado Springs in the last two springs.

My confidence in gun safes as a partial protection from fire has dropped a lot. Stories have all been bad. It seems that paper wood and leather suffer heavily, at least being charred and metal is "baked".

I would really like to hear some experiences or known events with fires and gun safes and what the results have been.

As inconvienent as it is, I may need to rent more bank safety deposit boxes.

Comments would be appreciated.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I have never considered a safety deposit box.

I lived in Castle Rock and had a house fire, safes were in the basement. They were locked and still the bore stores (I had them on each gun, a silicon sock) and they smelled like smoke.

Gun Safes are rated as to fire resistance, most are rated NOT for fire resistance. So, you look for ones that are, price is higher for those types. And only are rated for certain heat and time....

One guy I knew had a fire resistant safe with a fire sprinkler over them, he figured if the fire was not put out as quick as he'd like, that this would give him more time.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

We might need a pretty large strong box! I'm sure walking into a bank with your firearms for any reason is a NO NO!! I just found out! http://www.washingtonsavings.net/per...-deposit-boxes
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Kitkat041836
RIP

I have been told that fire safes can be broken into easer as they can be peeled and a strong safe can not.
Thanks,George Fortier
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
jagervw
User

I'd go with a Ft. Knox safe.
jagervw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
SteveM
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagervw View Post
I'd go with a Ft. Knox safe.
I have a 25 year old Ft. Knox and a 2 year old Liberty. I like my old Ft. Knox over the Liberty. Heavier steel and a better interior. They don't build 'em like they used to.

BTW, these aren't what you can call safes, they are RSC's(residential security containers). Real safes cost an arm and a leg...
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
mystical_tutor
User

Thanks much for the comments. I bought my safe with an eye on the hype about fire protection. I never believe half of what I see but I can hope. In the Black Forest fire there were quite a number of gun safes involved (it is the kind of place my kinda guy likes). There is no definitive information available about what happened though.

The one opinion though was that almost no safe is good enough to have a burning house fall on it and burn out leaving it in a pile of coals and expect to find anything inside that isn't cooked.

Lets not talk about safety deposit boxes... I just keep the valuable part of my card collection there....
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Jasta2
User

Lucky lesson learned about my fire safe. Rather small, can hold about 6 handguns, cost about $250, VERY HEAVY! Placed in semi-heated basement on the floor. Stored only about $2,000 cash in it over the winter. Opened after 6 months. Cash was quite damp with mold starting to grow. Needed to recycle that cash! Glad I refrained from storing my handguns in it. Have not used it since. Give it a go again after I move it upstairs (with help!). Will try a desiccant bag next time.
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta2 View Post
Lucky lesson learned about my fire safe. Rather small, can hold about 6 handguns, cost about $250, VERY HEAVY! Placed in semi-heated basement on the floor. Stored only about $2,000 cash in it over the winter. Opened after 6 months. Cash was quite damp with mold starting to grow. Needed to recycle that cash! Glad I refrained from storing my handguns in it. Have not used it since. Give it a go again after I move it upstairs (with help!). Will try a desiccant bag next time.
While living in Washington State I had the same problem with a large gun sefe. I found a device that would actually collect moisture in the safe and percipitate it into a container. It had to be emptied ever so often but really helped to keep my card collection dry(er).