LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 03-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
burton
User

Default Update on Erma ET, "Navy", .22 Replica

Got it working OK. It's a hoot to shoot, although really muzzle heavy due to long barrel.

Wasn't functional when I first tried to shoot it. Found out the sear interface surface on the firing pin assembly was severely worn, making the pistol inoperable. Luckily I found out that Bob's Gun Shop had replacements, in virtually new condition.

The ET is very ammo sensitive, ( at least this one is ). Will only function correctly with "Hot" ammo. The standard Rem. "Golden Bullets" that Walmart sells in bulk packages, will jam continually. I had to shoot C C I Mini Mag solids and Mexican Aguila Super Maximum H-P's in it, to get reliable function.

Another quirk regarding the Erma is firing pin protrusion. The ammo the Germans designed the Erma for back in the 60's, must have had very sensitive priming compound beside being quite hotly loaded. Till I tweaked the breech block, I had continued problems with FTF scenarios due to this.

If this this specimen reflects the problems that most folks have reported over the years with these Erma's replica .22's? I believe the basic problem is ammo related, i.e. The German ammo these pistols were designed around, was much hotter and had more sensitive primers then standard U.S. .22 Ammo.
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
burton
User

Another possibility that would have a negative affect on the Erma's functioning, are the springs. Their are two rather substantial springs, that power the Erma's mechanism, ( Firing Pin & Recoil). It's possible to assemble them incorrectly, ( Don't ask me how I know), this leads to functioning problems. To assemble them correctly and get the pistol back together is not particularly easy, as three hands are required. I managed it with the aid of a pair of needlenose pliers and a taper nosed slave pin, made out of a brass drift punch.