LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 03-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
pillboxesghost
User

Default Help with 1906 Navy

Gentlemen:
Are any of you familiar with 1906 Navy S/N 9742a??
Is this pistol recorded as a "legit, unmolested" example in someone's data base?
I am told the former owner had it in his collection for the past
ten years.

Hope to have it in my hands and post pict's Monday night 3-13-06.
If someone would be kind enough to point out what areas will be of
particular interest -- I'll make sure to photograph those first.

Thanks in advance!
Jon Lewis
pillboxesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Jon,

Make sure you get a 3-5 day no-questions-asked return/refund warranty...

Many of the boosters working today have been around since the laete 1970's or so...so having a luger in a trusted collector's collection for 10 years does not guarantee it has not been boosted.

Also...several collectors I know today have questionable guns in their gun safes...they got burned a few years back and are starting to "quietly" unload them on the unsuspecting todayb for a profit...(this is a little secret some do not want to discuss...). IMO...these collectors are not much better than the boosters and the spurious dealers that peddle this crap...but this is for another "soapbox" for another day...

Best to post photos of the Navy and all the small parts and the Navy expects can certainly help you determine if your piece might be legit or not.

p.s. Did you read the "Navy Luger Inspection" topic at the top of the discussions listed in the Navy section ? Tom Armstrong has provided some solid advice and tips, therein.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
pillboxesghost
User

Default Inspection Guidelines

Had perused the Navy "Inspection Guide" earlier, but forgot to download a copy and highlight the pertinent points (my memory's going faster than I want to admit).

Thanks for pointing out the above and thanks to Tom A and Edward T. for providing/preserving these guidelines.

I am advised the magazine is marine marked, but mismatched. This particular Luger bears no unit markings. Obviously, the pistol itself is described as 100% matching.

It's not supposed to be a shooter, but it's not a 98% pistol either. That's the primary reason I decided to spring for the air freight charges to get a "hands-on" look. I just couldn't tell from the sellers pictures. Hope it turns out to be a "keeper". If not, I'll consider this an educational experience.

I've coveted a Navy since I was 16 (and that's getting too close to 50 years ago).

Regards,
Jon
pillboxesghost is offline   Reply With Quote