LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-07-2001, 12:17 AM   #1
Richmond

Default 1940 solid black luger w/black leather case

I am trying to find out what the gun and the holster would be worth, or any information. I've asked many people but no one seems to have seen a holster quite like this. It is a hard shell solid black with what looks like a sterling silver eagle grasping a swastika with a wreath surrounding the bird emblem on the front. My father asked a visiting German after the war and he seemed to think it was either a Luftwaffe officer or a high ranking SS officer. The gun is solid black with the year 1940 stamped into it. All parts are matching numbers (43). There is no rust on the gun or major wear on the holster. I am just trying to find out any information that I can for my father. He is very interested in the history of the gun, and I thought it would be a good birthday present to him if I did. Any information as to what branch this could have belonged to or what it could be worth would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Unread 03-07-2001, 07:53 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: 1940 solid black luger w/black leather case

Richmond,

A little more information may be required, but I will try to help a little. Your Luger sounds like a standard 1940 dated pistol manufactured by Mauser Werke, Oberndorf, Germany. The manufacturers code will be stamped on the middle toggle link, such as S/42, 42, or even possibly "byf". These are fairly common pistols. You do not state the condition of the pistol and this makes a big difference in the value. Assuming the pistol is in excellent condition which would be at least 95% bluing, the value would be approx. $800-900. If the magazine matches the pistol, the value would be in the $900-1,000 range. These pistols are of excellent quality manufacture, salt blued, and should have the standard wood grips. The magazine should be an aluminum bottom type with the full serial number matching the pistol with the letter suffix.

On the right side of the frame will be three stamps, the two with the numbers under the Eagle are the Waffenamt stamps. These are the internal Government inspectors stamps which indicate that the part/s have passed the rigourous testing demanded by the German Governement. The other stamp which is an Eagle clutching a Swastika in a circle is the final firing test proof stamp. This stamp indicates that at least 3 proof rounds have been fired and the pistol has passed all requirements required. The German Governement had very strict rules for all firearms and these were followee up until the last few weeks of the war.

The holster sound like a standard Luger holster. On the back of the holster, there should be a large P.08 stamp, a manufacturers name or code stamp and the year date of manufacture. If you provide the stamp info, we can give you a little more information on the holster. The silver Eagle with the Swastika sounds like a Heer, or Army, cap badge. This was fairly common for a US soldier to remove the badge and place it on the front flap of the holster. Without seeing the Eagle, I can't tell if it is Luftwaffe or Army. I don't think it is an SS badge. This usually does not add any value to the holster and if it is removed it will devalue the holster because there will be holes left in the flap. The holster, again condition is everything, would be valued in the $200 range if it is in excellent condtion. I also assume the takedown tool will be in the compartment under the front flap. If a spare magazine is included, this would add another $50-75 to the value. If the spare magazine matches, the value would be even more.

I hope this helps a little and if you would like much more detail information, a book by Jan Still, "Third Reich Lugers" is available for approx. $60 and well worth the price. Let us know any additional details and any questions and they will be answered. Maybe someone else may provide a little more information.

Marvin

Unread 03-07-2001, 02:48 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Great answer Marvin, & a suggestion for Dok.

We seem to be getting a lot of "How much is my pistol worth" questions. Maybe we should have a standard answer in the FAQ that tells all this information and about the identification sheets in the general information section, the explanation of proof marks and stampings that is available on the site and the short version of how to post pictures. That way the person making an inquiry would be more likely to pose their question with enough information for the members to make a market value judgement. I think it would save a lot of time...

What do you think Dok? Marvin? and the rest of the board of Rogues???

Unread 03-07-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: Great answer Marvin, & a suggestion for Dok.

Nice answer, Marvin. However, when a decent Luger magazine sells for upwards of $100, why do you allow an increased value of the rig of only $60 for an extra mag, even if it is unmatched? I would allow at least $100 more for a second unmatched mag, and as much as $200 more for a second matched mag.

Unread 03-07-2001, 05:57 PM   #5
Marvin
User

Aaron,

I agree that the rig should be valued at the additional $100 for the magazine, but unfortunantly in my area that does not seem to be the case. It is sort of like buying options on an automibile. If you buy the entire option package, the whole vehicle is a little less money than the individual items added to the base price.

Now this does change if the the spare magazine is matching. Then the value of that spare is about 50% more than a non matching magazine. Valuing firearms is a crazy thing with so many variables and also I feel different parts of the country will change the value slightly.

I hope this is a reasonable answer to your question as to my reasoning.

Marvin

Unread 03-07-2001, 06:06 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default I think an FAQ about valuing a pistol would be good...

I will post whatever someone comes up with under the FAQ with a title... "How much is my Luger worth?"

Unread 03-07-2001, 09:34 PM   #7
bill m
User

Marvin, I wish I could buy complete two matching magazine rigs using your price guide, or in your area. That second magazine on a nice Mauser turns a $1000 gun into a $1800 to $2500 outfit. I don't think you've priced these nice rigs lately.