LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-31-2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Rob Regers

Default luger vs p-38?

At one point I decided to get either the p-08 or the p-38 and i decided on the Luger being it seems more aestheticly handsome, has more of a mysticism about it, and the toggle and trigger just got to me. Is it that the p-38 is simply a more functional and maybe dependable weapon? Does the p38 hold as much attraction? Dont be biased guys...lets have honest comparisons here. Thanks!

MIDWAY OUT

Unread 08-31-2001, 05:29 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: luger vs p-38?

Hell, this is America, I love em both! A being greedy, I have a few of each, with a PPK thrown in for good measure. The Luger is admired for its awesome pointablility and accuracy and elegant appearance, kind of a touch of nobility about it! The P.38 I look at like a tough tiger tank, functional and awesome in its own right! If I am going to a target shoot give me a Luger, If I am going to be in a situation that somebody might try to hurt me or my family, give me a P.38 anyday! ~Thor~

Unread 08-31-2001, 06:01 PM   #3
BILL
User

Lugers are elegant with beautiful fine lines and a graceful profile. The P.38 is tough, unadorned and all combat. If you forget about the function the form of the Luger has it all over the P.38 (well, you asked for honesty, right?). Ask this same question next door on the P.38 forum and see what kind of response you get. Since I like all German militaria, they are both highly rated in my book.

Unread 08-31-2001, 06:21 PM   #4
Uncle Mike
User

Hi guys,I like them both also PP/PPK's but I must admit there is more variations and therefore more room for collecting,ie.Models,Commercials or Military etc.and also different country variations in the Luger!MC

Unread 08-31-2001, 07:03 PM   #5
Mark M.
User

Gruss Gott,Rob!

I think you struck a decisive "nerve" with your question.We all (may) agree that the P08 is a more beautiful piece to behold,shoot,and admire for its craftmanship,but the P.38 is far superior (IMO) when it comes to reliable function,which,after all,is the main concern when your life is on the line.I love both pistols ,but if I had to choose which one I would have as a "carry pistol" for self defense it would be the P.38 hands down!They're kind of pretty beasts,too!I only wish they had the grip angle of the Luger! Nobody has ever explained to me why the angle wasn't incorporated into the P.38.Does anyone know the answer to that question!?? There must be SOME reason,although it has escaped me to date.Thanks for any and all theories as to the reason for this omission on the P.38.

In confustication! Tschuss!

Mark M.

Unread 08-31-2001, 07:43 PM   #6
Zeus

I love Lugers, but if I'm going to protect anyone I'll take my 1911A1 thank you very much!!

Unread 08-31-2001, 08:22 PM   #7
Heinz
User

Although I do not currently own either I have owned both a 7.65 Luger and a P38. My Luger was a far more accurate and reliable piece than my P38. The Luger was an unmatched number 3 7/8 Bbl. The P38 was WWII production nazi marked and very poor shooter over 50 feet. Also prone to jam. I also had a nazi marked Browning HiPower with tangent sights that I could not hit a doorway with at 50 feet. WWII production can be erratic I think. You can not kill what you cannot hit. For serious work I like the 45 long colt but the 45 ACP will also suffice.

Unread 09-01-2001, 09:16 AM   #8
Steve Lempitski
User

P-38 I had could not even get on paper at 25 yards no matter what loads I tried. But when I traveled cross country it was right behind my drivers seat, with chambered round, figuring that at the range of any possible car jacking, etc. I would be able to hit my target.

Unread 09-01-2001, 02:59 PM   #9
Jesse
User

I have had better luck with P-08s my self (I had a P-38 go KB) The Luger is far more accurate and all of mine have been very reliable but I have not give them (P-38/P-08) the salt, sand and mud test yet ;-) I would (and have) put a Luger up against ANY 1911 as far as accuracy and 9/10 the Luger would win. For a CCW my 40 cal P99 is always my 1st pick followed by my .45acp Colt combat commander, for max firepower my 50cal Desert Eagle is my cannon of choice.

............Jesse

Unread 09-02-2001, 02:49 AM   #10
66mustang

I've had both and although the P-38 was fun, the Luger shoots better (sometimes a bit more finicky in the reloaded rounds), feels better and I likemhow she looks better.

I would buy another P-38 if I could get one for the same price I sold mine for $125.00! Oh well, needed the money at the time.

Overall, I just like how George's Pistol looks, feels and shoots.

Ed