LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-30-2001, 03:51 PM   #1
Rob
User

Default luger lanyards

gretings, i am back to the finist board around our luger board.well i've reading and enjoying the vintage photos in third reich lugers and have noticed german solders with lanyards on there luger does any one have one..how do they attached to the luger..a clip?? or what . please post a reply. thank-you rob

Unread 08-30-2001, 04:28 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default I have one of Portugese origin, but I will have to check on the

attachment method tonight and report back. I CAN tell that there is no standard, and that it was not an issue item. Usually something that the soldier acquired on his own.

-John

Unread 08-30-2001, 11:16 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default German issue Lanyards

Rob, I have studied German luger lanyards for four years now and I can tell you there are deffinitly records found by the Heers Waffenamt that luger lanyards were issued to cavalry and motorcycle troops. When you think about it out of millions of lugers very few were made without a lanyard loop. Most accounts I have heard personally involved the use of the breadbag strap as an unissued luger lanyard.

The lanyard I have researched and believe to be German issue is of slightly larger than pencil thickness round leather for a strap. There is either a brass or steel swivel at the end of this strap and a leather tab is attached with a brass stud to fold the tab into the luger loop and back to the stud.

I havbe made and sold fifty or more of these over the last four years to collectors and shooters who want a working lanyard for display or to take to the shooting range. I have several left but They are quite difficult and time consuming to make so I doubt if I will make any more.

The only original lanyards I was able to find in the U.S. was one Ralph Shattuck had and one Mike? had who wrote :: Luger Tips"" Ralph would not sell his for any amount of money and Mike wanted $500.00 for his. The others were all found in Europe by a collector named Georges Machtelinckx. He sent me dozens of photos of German lanyards found in collections all over Europe.He also sent me documents certifying the issue of lanyards to the German Army.Patrick Villiers of Berlin Germany has also helped me in my research and has in his collection an original lanyard used by his father who was a soldier during the WW2 era. I believe he told me it was a private purchase and made by a small shop in Germany.

There are WW1 and WW2 photos that show the use of the luger lanyard and if anyone out there has any I would like a copy and will be happy to pay the costs for it. Jerry

Unread 08-30-2001, 11:28 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Here a photo of my Portugese Lanyard that shows the attachment

Default Re: Here a photo of my Portugese Lanyard that shows the attachment

John, This lanyard that your scanner has allowed us to see is in the German, not Portugese style. The Portugese style was a braided leather similar to a bolo tie strap. Frankly I have never seen a Portugese lanyard in my many years of re-search. Even those who purport to have Portugese lanyards turn out to be the solid round leather and hence; German.

This type of lanyard shown is very similar to one shown to me by Patrick Villiers. His father had one as a soldier during the WW2 period. This is made quite differently than the WW1 lanyards I have seen in many collections throughout Europe. In fact there are none of this type in any of the collections. All are of the brass swivel with leather tab type. These are sewn together at the swivel and not able to ron freely along the strap as yours is. Your appears to be sewn together into a loop .I will post a photo or two of lanyards found overseasfor your perusal. I believe this to be a later lanyard ,Probably a WW2 issue or private purchase. It is my humble opinion that the WW1 lanyards were more prevelant than the WW2. At least there were more of them that ended up in European collections. One theory is that the round leather was just the right size for sewing machine belts so they were canabalized for that purpose.

I have documents sent to me from two collectors in Europe from the Heers Waffenamt concerning the issue of lanyards for the P08 and the P38 pistol. The P38 lanyard is considerably different than the P08 due to the lanyard loop size on each pistol.

My computer technician, Mrs. Esposa tells me that since I have no URL address I cannot post a photo here. So anyone who wants such, Email me and I can Email it back to you or for the benifit of all does anyone know a URL I could use? Jerry

Unread 08-31-2001, 02:53 PM   #6
Rob
User

Default Re: p38 lanyards on p38 site (EOM)

Unread 08-31-2001, 04:25 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Jerry, you can post a photo here as long as it is less than 80K bytes

The link for the upload is located on the main discussion page at the top right...

It is easy, just follow the direction on the screen...

BTW, the lanyard I have shown you was a gift to me from Patrick Villiers! Imagine that! He told me he believed it to be Portugese...

-John

Unread 08-31-2001, 06:06 PM   #8
BILL
User

Default Attn: Mrs.Esposa

You don't need a URL of your own to post a picture. The instructions are at the top of the index page.

Unread 09-02-2001, 02:31 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Attn: Mrs.Esposa

Thanks, Bill and all you guys who have helped out, and given directions!

Ellie