LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
flagless
New User

Default Inaugural 1st post (BYF41) *UPDATED*

My first post on the forum.

I understand that some of you seem to be scholarly about Lugers so I thought I'd share one that I saved recently. I figured if anything is abnormal about this weapon you all would enjoy seeing it.

I traded a Glock for it from someone who purchased it from the grandson of a WWII veteran.

I have downloaded the extremely interesting FAQ this site has and I'm learning how to take it apart and how to properly clean the weapon.

i thought I'd answer any questions anyone has about the weapon in their pursuit of knowledge of what Lugers have made it to the USA and likewise will enjoy hearing the collective expert opinion on this board.

Date code is 41.
flagless is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to flagless for your post:
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Some full left, full right and full top is always good.

Right now, I see that the rear toggle pin is mismatched, not a big deal to some, but a big deal to others (should have a 18 on it).

I am sure you know that its a Mauser made in 1941 and whatever the suffix is, would show what grouping of 10,000 it was made in

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
flagless
New User

Hey Ed,

I'm slowly getting the pics up there. Full profile shots are definitely planned.

I don't believe it has a suffix. The serial is "1418" and "18" on a majority of the pieces except for the pin, side plate. etc.

I owned some German guns before that had DE or GEXXXX as a serial. This one does not have that. I hope that's what you are referring to.

I've given thought that if it's rare enough I may donate it to a museum.
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagless View Post
Hey Ed,

I'm slowly getting the pics up there. Full profile shots are definitely planned.

I don't believe it has a suffix. The serial is "1418" and "18" on a majority of the pieces except for the pin, side plate. etc.

I owned some German guns before that had DE or GEXXXX as a serial. This one does not have that. I hope that's what you are referring to.

I've given thought that if it's rare enough I may donate it to a museum.
Welcome to the Forum Deani.

Your gun may not have a suffix but there does appear to be a mark of some sort below the serial number on the front of the frame.. Please check it out and take a photograph of this area to remove any doubts as to suffix or not. The suffix, should it be there, will be a lower case scriptic letter.

The punctuation point between the P and the 08 on the side of the frame appears to be square, indicating a late in the year manufacture date. FYI, the early 41 byfs had a round punctuation point.

They made about 10,000 of these guns a month in 1941 so it is a fairly common variation of the P.08. The block of guns with "no suffix" was made in October/November or so. It was followed by 20,000 more guns with an a or b suffix.

Hope this helps. More pictures are always appreciated.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
flagless
New User

I went ahead and took a closer look and on the front of the frame and it is an "X" according to the technical data suffix list on this website.

Is there any way to tell if this gun was arsenal/depot rebuilt or rebuilt by a person in the US seeing as it's missing a few matching parts.

The period between the P.08 is definitely a square dot. Very good eyes!

Let me know if you guys would like any more pictures.

The proof marks on the right side are three eagles with 655 written under two of the eagles.
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Because your Luger has a mixture of numbers on some of it's parts, it would be classified as a "shooter grade" and not a collector or rare specimen. It should be a good shooter for you if you chose to do so.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
campfooey
User

Hi I have a luger I just bought that has the 4174 but my axle pin is numbered 73 I see your axle pin is 74 if your pistol has mixed numbers anyway I was hoping you my be up to a exchange of axle pins I would add $10 bucks for your trouble. let me know jsteffs@yahoo.com or 920 606 6953 John I have the post above yours under campfooey
campfooey is offline   Reply With Quote