LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
LWaali
User

Default Anyone knowledgeable in Garands?

I have a Springfield Armory M1 Garand

serial 3193724 indicating oct-44 build

stock cartouches from '53-'57 but correct for springfield

originally purchased from CMP and probably service grade

without taking it apart and taking a bunch of pictures, is there a ball park value to use for selling? Looking at gb and other sites the price variance is ridiculous when there is no other unique factors on a specific rifle (not national match, not all matching, no rare inspector stamp etc)

It has been sitting in the safe for over a decade with annual oiling but no other activity.

I don't want to rob anyone but I don't want to give it away.

Suggestions?
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Curly1
User

Kinda hard to judge with out a least a couple of pics of both sides to see what the stock and finish condition is. Also do you have any idea as to the wear measurments of the muzzle and the chamber end?

Check out the CMP site also http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

M1 Garand, SA (Springfield) Service Grade
Please allow 30-60 days for delivery
*See above for grade description
$625 Effective 1-3-2012
S&H $24.95 per rifle

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
LWaali
User

I found the original CMP certificate and it is service grade and I did look up the price there but that is not very indicative of the sale value. I don't have a throat/muzzle gage but according to CMP guidelines they will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5. I know dad never fired it after getting it. I can try to get pics but am really not set up for it and doubt I will get good sun for some time (spring?). Stock is in used but good condition.. no deep gouges, no cracking or splintering, cartouches clear but worn. All wood appears to be walnut and not the later used birch. Barrel clean with no pitting or rusting and still a solid shine but not a 'new' shine. Parkerizing in 90%+ with minor colouring differances in parts indicitive of a re-arsenal which most M1's went through.
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
LWaali
User

more info:
circle P cartouch on the underside of the pistol grip
defense acceptance stamp (eagle and 3 stars in square) on left side of stock up from trigger guard
barrel markings D3544 8 32 - A - 77 - B - 2 on top 2 SA 5 44 on side
bolt numbers D28287-19SA over B-17 (bolt of more of a black colour then the typical grey of parkerization
all internal parts that had markings visible had an SA
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
padredan
User

without pictures it is really just a estimate range for a cmp sa service grade , but i have seen them sell in this range here for 550.00 to 750.00 but condition is everything , I bought one a few years back in nice condition for 600.00 if that will sorta give you an idea/
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
aptech77
User

aight just got a 1943 Springfield Armory in very good service grade great condition....625$. So I'd srart there.
aptech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I purchased from the CMP a Garand (SA) in the 6 million range which was delivered to me 3 weeks ago. I paid $675.00.
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Sounds like you have an almost matching Garand. This has to be determined part by part, and is generally indicated by drawing numbers stamped on the parts; dash revision numbers and unique characteristics of the parts supplied by Springfield versus Winchester.

The Barrel is the original, made in May, 1944.

The -19SA bolt is also correct. It was used on late 1944 through some post war production.

The circle "P" stock proof mark should be with serifs on a SA stock.

The Defense Acceptance Stamp eagle with three stars in a square box with rounded corners is associated with post war Springfield Garand rifles. This would not be correct for your rifle. At some point the rifle was re-stocked.

If you are qualified to purchase from the CMP you'd pay $700 for this rifle shipped to you in the USA.

If it's in good condition without significant finish wear and a decent shooter (which you should test) it should be worth $850 - $1000 on the open market.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
LWaali
User

Thanks for the feedback.. I appreciate it. It confirmed what I had looked up. I needed a base range for the couple of people that are looking that do not qualify for CMP and the prices on GB were completely out of the ballpark to me. With dad falling fast I simply do not have the time to do the pics and full research. You truly are helping out mom, dad, and I.

All parts look in great condition with very little wear, solid finish, no rust or pitting and all look original. The stock is definitely service used but no glaring defects, breakages, gouges etc but not polished and shined by any means. I think I am going to throw $1k out with a few original bandoleers of ammo & clips to start and settle for $800 or so. Like I said, these folks don't qualify for CMP and I am well below the online auctions for honest description similar rifles.