LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Black Widow grip evolution....

Hello to all, I noticed the start of a discussion in the "wanted to Buy" section and thought I'd toss in my two cents in this category... Well, here goes.. I remember a while back, and this isn't that long ago, where 1920 commercials, WW1 DWM & especially Erfurts), and byf Lugers were plentiful and actually fairly cheap?? At that same time, plastic was pretty much frowned on and held with universal contempt... Only real collectibles were Colt percussion, and early Winchester lever actions... Well, to shorten the story a'bit, anyone who was then burdened with trying to peddle a Luger with plastic grips only had one course of action, and that was to find a nice set of walnut plates to bring their Luger back to old timey collectors perceptions.. So, just like lemmings, there was a huge rush, which lasted for several decades, to correct seemingly un-correct lugers!! Then, all of a sudden, plastics & composites became acceptable, stories were told, or created, and all of a sudden the trend slowed, stopped and then reversed??.. So for the last decade there has been a frenzy, to again, re-create what really wasn't real in the first place?? (did I just say that??..)
Anyway, trying to buy a set of Black Widow grips has really hit an all new high same as gold did just recently... I'm in for the long run, and I'm pretty sure more will surface and prices hopefully will relax a'bit.. cuz I like plastic! ... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
danielsand
User

I am "jumping on the bandwagon" too. Just PM'd a member who has some grips for sale. Actually,....I haven't decided yet whether to go wood repro, or plastic, but I have a good reason for it (in my mind). My Parabellum came with original grips in great condition. Since I plan to take my pistol on the horseback, I think the original grips would take the beating in the holster, and more, the grip that's exposed in the type of the holster, I am looking at. I am riding with S&W 66-2 now, in the western rig, and I know what the trails did to the grips. Original S&W grips that came with the weapon 30 or so years ago, are in the box, and the "gunshow special" S&W grips are on for riding.

I don't plan to use the original WW1 holster, but something that gives me quick access to the weapon if needed (snakes, mountain lions, bears, coyotes, and such). I think I am leaning to the "tank commander" type shoulder rig, repro.

Since I am a trail rider, there is brush, trees, and other obstacles I ride through, and the exposed grip WILL take the beating. So no "Black Widow" grips for me, but either brown plastic, or wood repro (leaning toward brown plastic). Good for shooting, and it will save the original grips for history.

I know it's not "real", but it will serve the purpose for me. And since I am not a "collector" (my wife would strongly disagree here!).........that's what I'll do.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Zorba
User

Ya know, my very authentic looking Umarex 'Luger' BB pistol has black plastic grips. Does that mean its a "black widow"?
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote