LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 01-15-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
junglejim
User

Post 1914 Navy..shooter or collectable?

I have a 1917 chamber dated Navy Luger (1917 on receiver rail flat with crown and crown m proof marks). The gun has been "reworked" I assume by Mauser as the barrel has a stick eagle (straight wing)over 63 in a very small size on the barrel. There is also a 42 stamped in the underside of the barrel below the serial number. The rework includes short barrel and conventional rear sight. The gun is all matching except the mag, and is in 90+ original condition. Is there collector value to a Mauser rework 1914 Navy such as this, or should I consider it a shooter?
Thanks, Jim
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Jim, welcome to the forum. Hang on a while, when questions are asked about specific variations of less common guns there are folks here who are true experts in those areas who most likely be around later. Navy Luger variations are in this arena.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:55 AM   #3
Navy
RIP

Hi Jim and Welcome,
Your re-worked Navy is most assuredly a collectable. While not as desirable as an unfutzedwith version, the fact that it was re-worked during the Nazi era (And probably at least once before, when the rear sight was removed)makes it a bona-fide old war horse. I have several navy reworks in my collection of Navy Lugers and value them as genuine pieces of German Naval and Luger history. Its also quite cool to find a modified Navy holster to accompany one of these...quite rare, I might add.

Tom A.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
junglejim
User

Thanks Tom, I will elevate the status of the Luger in my collection. The man I got the gun from considered it a shooter because of the alterations. I see that true military alterations do not diminish the character and history of the gun.
Jim
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote