LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Lancer1
New User

Default S/42 - g

Good Day,
I tried to find ways to identify my P08, but I guess I need help directing me to the research tools. My Luger is marked S/42 and then "G". All the other marks are 3699, or just 99. Also, it might be marked with the "Drooping Eagle". Any clarification is appreciated.
Very respectfully, C. Cochran
Attached Images

Lancer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Welcome to the board.

Well, the easy part is that you have a German Military P.08, G-date (1935) built late in the cycle as evidenced by the DE63 acceptance proofs. The S/42 is the manufacturing code for Mauser.

Equally, the gun seems to be properly marked with the full serial number and the last two digits of the serial number. Another key component is the magazine which you do not mention.

The full serial number is located on the front of the frame and will be the four digit number with a scriptic letter stamped underneath it.

There are several reference books that represent the bibles of learning on the Mauser era to which this gun belongs. As the information that I provided above only scratches the surface of what can be known about Lugers, I would urge you to acquire one or more of these reference books if you want to pursue research.

The new book: The Mauser Parabellum by Don Hallock and Joop van der Kant is the latest. There is Third Reich Lugers by Jan Still and of course Lugers at Random by Charles Kenyon.

These are just some of the hundreds of books in several languages written about Lugers.

But, finally and perhaps most important, you have discovered the greatest source of research. THIS BOARD whose members represent a tremendous wealth of knowledge. I urge you to browse the board, get familiar with it powerful search engine and have fun.

Hope this helps,

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Lancer1
New User

Thanks John,
I will continue my research. I have the magazine, it has an aluminum bottom and is also marked 99. Where would I go to find the realative value of this P08? I bought it a gun show in Washington about 20 years ago. I fired it once or twice, and it works fine.
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It appears from your photos to be refinished in some sort of phosphate or black paint finish. Can you confirm this?

Also, a truly matching mag would have the complete serial number as well as any letter code. Does yours only show a "99"?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Lancer1
New User

I'll send a better photo of the whole pistol, I don't know about the finish. I have to locate the original Mag, I had been using an after market mag with plastic bottom. I'll dig out the original, and send a pic. Thanks for your inputs.
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Lancer1
New User

It's not a black paint, I think it's gun blue.
Attached Images

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Thor
User

Your G Date Luger should be rust blued with straw colored small parts, (thumb safety, trigger, mag release button, ejector, take down lever) The inside of the mag well and inside of the receiver forks and inside of the top of the frame should be in the white. Check the three toggle axle pins, should be fire blued along with the sear bar and magazine leaf springs, these two springs should be fire blued if original. Thor
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote