LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default What stops the firing pin??

Hello to all, I have been pondering a question about Luger firing pins all day and thought I might ask other forum members ... What stops the firing pins forward movement?? Is it the outside dia.?? Or the gradual taper?? Can't be the primer, although there seems to be relief for punctures?? Why are they so vunerable?? Seems to me, the fit between firing pin and breechblock would have as much to do with trigger tuning as the fit between firing pin and sear bar?? Just a thought... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,196 Posts

G.T.

It's a combination. The lug on the side and the tapered shape of the breech block's inside.

You can imagine that a lug that is relatively short will cause the pin to smash into the breech block front with much more force.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default pin mechanics

thanks Gerben, looks like an area that could be improved, but is probably far more durable then i suspect... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

GT, I think the firing pin hole may be what stops a lot of the Luger firing pins that have seen a lot of use, that is why the tip breaks off from fatigue...

Use some machinist blue on a clean pin and dry fire it a few times and then take it out and see where it is contacted.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
unspellable
User

The primer will stop it and also cushion it. That's what makes the difference between live firing and dry firing, or why you should use a snap cap for dry firing. As for dropping it on an empty chamber, I haven't really studied what stops it.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default firing pin stop

hi unspellable, as I think about it some more, I am certain you are correct... I guess I wandered off track a bit thinking about how ofter tapered points fail from shock factor right at the unsupported tip... Lugers and Nambus probably being by far the worst.. With new tough series steels, this should be a thing of the past with any new manufacture.. (Of which there is none!) I had once got a Nambu at an veterans estate auction about 25 years ago and prior to the auction, it was so nice, the safety had never been rotated!! (no tracks) they evidently never rotated them even when assembled.. because it was pristeen.. After several people looked at it, it had two deep grooves, one on each side of the safely.. But anyway, I don't believe it had ever been fired.. I had the pistol for many years and when I went to sell it, the firing pin was broken. Sored me a bit on nambus... But again, i got better! Best to all, til...lat'r...GT