LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default I got lost.

About an hour west of here is Bankhead National Forest. Big forest. My buddy Ken and I decided that we should do the National Park a service and shoot some of those wild hogs we have been hearing about. Can't be too hard. Its just a wild pig. Ken's daddy kept some out behind his manufactured home up until twenty or so years ago. They weren't no damn pets so they were wild pigs just kept up. County agent came by and told him he couldn't keep them there anymore. Said it wasn't sanitary. Kens daddy repied that he hadn't lost a pig yet from being dirty. So Ken was going to do the tracking since he'd had experience with pigs as a kid and I would do the shooting. So we left Sunday morning at 0330 in my camo 85 Dodge pickup. Ken had a 12 ga and I had a 30-30 with a Beretta .40 cal as backup. From the time we got there only two things went right. First of all we got there and secondly I pulled out my silva boy scout compass and set a back azimuth to the truck. Off we went. Didn't have a map. Now Ken can track hogs. He picked up a fresh trail immediately and short of throwing his head back and squalling was just like a beagle on a rabbit. We followed those critters for about three hours. Up hill, down hill, through swamps, creek bottoms, pine dead falls, you name it, we went through it. Finally a little two watt light went off in my head that I wasn't exactly sure where we were. In fact, I had no idea where we were. Once I got Ken's attention off the hogs and on to our situation he realized we were lost. For some reason you can't reverse track hogs. Ken said it just doesn't work. So I dug out the compass, and off we went. Couldn't follow a course to save our lives. Bluffs, deadfalls, briar patches, swamps, you name it. Had to swing left, had to go right, had to back track. Took nearly four hours. Finally had two hundred yards of pine deadfall (beetles really did a lot of damage) to cross to get up a bluff where we would hopefully be able to get a clear view. I went first, told Ken to stay there cause if I had to back track no need for both of us to crawl through that mess. I finally got through just in time to see a truck drive by on the road. So we found the road. But which way to the truck? So I gave Ken my extra key and I went left, he went right, which ever one of us found the truck would drive back and pick up the other. I had walked about two miles when I heard it coming (no muffer) and Ken drove up smiling. No pig, injured ego, but everything worked out. I'm going back in a couple of days. Lots of room to wander around out there.

later

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

rk, Carefull! don't let the hogs eatcha.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
pipeman45
User

Great story, kinda reminds me of an elk hunt I was on once.
Unread 03-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Lost

Or when I skied off the marked trails on the Nevada side of Heavenly Valley, and had to hitch a ride back. Not too many offers for a guy with skis. TH
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

I've never got lost, a bit misplaced 10 or 20 times, but never lost
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote