LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-09-2001, 08:29 AM   #1
Roger Seymour

Default Magazine Fit

I just brought two after-market magazines from Marstar. Both hung up BADLY and wouldn't release. Fortunately, they were empty, I had to take the grips off and force them out with a screw driver. My original mag works just fine. Needless to say, I now have a full appreciation for the importance of quality Luger magazines. Can any one recommend repo mags by brand (and what to avoid)? Also, what is the going price for orginal surplus mags and, as a practical matter, can you find them?

Unread 05-09-2001, 09:44 AM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Magazine Fit

Tom Heller would be the guy to speak to on mags, and I believe he has both original and after market. Everone seems to rave about Mec-Gar magazines as being the most reliable after market mag out there... (if you can find any) They cost around $30. They're so good that the company is seriously backlogged. But give Tom a shout he should be able to help you (He's in the Links & Resources)

Unread 05-09-2001, 10:48 AM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Roger, Original magazines will range from about $50 to $200 range, or more depending on the rarity. If you go for an original, I would look for one marked 122 or fxo. They both have what is known as zig-zag springs and are the better of the designs. They should run you $75 to $125 depending on the condition. Good Luck.

Unread 05-09-2001, 02:37 PM   #4
Roger Seymour

Frank, thanks. Guess I'm back to saving my pennies or hoping Mar-Gar steps up production. The original I have has a zig-zag spring. Probably explains why that one works so well.

Unread 05-09-2001, 05:48 PM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Yep, it does. Mar Gars are suppose to be pretty good. I have never used one. If you can get one marked with a 2/1001 on the side, they may be a little less expensive and were suppose to be made by the same equipment as the fxo by the East Germans.

Unread 05-09-2001, 07:13 PM   #6
Hugh
RIP

Roger, Meg Gar & original mags can be found on ebay, Auction Arms, & Gunbroker. The nickel plated Swiss mags with the brown plastic bottoms are excellent also, and can usually be gotten a little cheaper than the FXO style.

Unread 05-09-2001, 09:53 PM   #7
Matt
User

I have an aftermarket mag from Sarco. It is easy to load and feeds okay but only holds seven rounds and doesn't always lock the toggle open on the last shot.

Unread 05-10-2001, 08:19 AM   #8
tom h

Default Re: PO8 Magazines

All luger mags are susposed to hold only 7 rounds if they are in spec. When you see the PO8 rated as an 8 round pistol, they are counting the round in the chamber. The 3K mags that Sarco and others are selling do have a lighter spring than the Mec-Gars or most originals, thus making them a bit easier to load, but can result in hold open problems, as you mentioned. Many owners of the post WW2 Mauser produced Parabellums, tell me that they find that the 3K work best in these pistols. I do have several M29 Swiss and original FXO mags available in the $75 price range, and a couple of EG made or renumbered Nazi mags as low as $50.

Unread 05-10-2001, 09:17 PM   #9
Matt
User

Default Tom, my original mags hold 8 rounds

Is it not correct to load them with 8 rounds?

Unread 05-11-2001, 09:02 AM   #10
tom h

Default Re: Tom, my original mags hold 8 rounds

If your luger mags hold 8 rounds, the spring are probably weak. I general only load them with 5 rounds for testing purposes.

Unread 05-11-2001, 11:10 AM   #11
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Yep, Me too !!!! :)

Five rounds for testing is just great!!