LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Refinish?

I saw this 1914 DWM and a 1935 G S/42 from the same seller. I've just emailed a question about finish, but to me , both look like they were done at the same time. I don't see one bit of wear. What do you think?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=27758695

Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
tracyp
User

Bob,

It's always hard to tell from pictures, but two Lugers from the same person with no wear on the sideplate is suspicious. Make sure he has a three day return policy.

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
southriv
User

I've decided to stay away. I can't help looking at auctions, even though they make me queasy when I think of bidding. The only thing I ever got at an auction was a $450 shooter. It was as described and I felt I was lucky. At that level, you can cut your loses. It seems to me that with auctions, unless the seller is well known to the community, you are taking a big risk when you enter 4 figure territoy.

Bob
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
maddog350gt
User

Bob,

Did you ever get a response from the seller? I saw the same guns and sent a request for more information asking if the guns had been restored, so far nothing back. I am also going to stay away from these unless the guy sends me somthing that makes me feel better about the finish. Because he is a dealer he may have picked them up from a collection someone was liquidating, but it he won't talk to potential buyers because of the honest questions they ask, makes you wonder what he want to hide?

Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
southriv
User

Bob,

I found out that the two pistols are from different owners. I have been told that the G date is a refinish, but the DWM is not.

Bob
Unread 01-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I am quite certain that I have held that DWM in my hands. I will do some quick research and get back today with an answer. If I am right, it's probably a steal at the BIN price.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is as I suspected, both pistols belong to a friend of mine and I have examined both. The G date is reblued and it is an excellent job. The 1914 is 100% original with two small light wear spots on the right side.
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
maddog350gt
User

George,

Thanks for the information. I don't understand why the seller won't answer questions on the guns. I for one do not dislike restored pieces as long as it is identified as such up front, and the price reflects the rework. Maybe I just haven't waited long enough for the response.

Both guns look very nice and you are probably right the 1914 may be a good deal at the BIN price. I am not sure what a restored G date should bring, I paid around $1400 for a restored K date a year or so ago, but K's are getting hard to find in any condition.

Thanks,
Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #9
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bob, the seller is not the owner. Email me and I'll connect you if you wish.
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
southriv
User

George, I should mention to all that I have since been in contact with the owner, not the seller. This thread has given additional information I think anyone who is seriously intereseted would need to proceed with confidence. The owner is very nice & straightforward about the decriptions. The shop selling is a friend who is probably deferring questions to the owner.

Anyway, from the comments and my talks with the owner, these are both worth some serious consideration for those who are looking for these particular pieces in their respective conditions.

Bob