LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Smile 1918 DWM Proof Marks.?

My 1918 DWM came in today ....and its Great....All Matching....and I put approximately 25 rounds thru it at the indoor shooting range...good crisp trigger pull...and its a tack driver......Got a mystery (at least to me) that I need you guys input on....as I said...its all matching...DWM and date on the top....however on the top right side...there are no proof marks at all..????...and its totally un messed with ....so don't understand the lack of proof marks....ive looking at a couple of other 1918 DWMs and they all show proof marks.......so let me know your opinion......by the way....the grips show plenty of use......almost worn smooth on right side for trigger finger....its definitely a combat used pistol.....anyway....let me know what you think about the lack of proof marks......Thanks..Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Hans,

Photos would really help. If the pistol was accepted by the German military there SHOULD be proof marks were you indicate. Do the grips match the balance of the pistol by serial number?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
hansfischer007
User

Smile DWM Proof Marks.?

I checked the grips and they are not numbered...However they are well-worn and fit the frame snug....looks like they were the original grips....and as I said earlier...it has they have that "been there--- well used combat look"...altho the pistol is in good shape........original finish....it hasn't been buffed.....but there just no proof marks at all on the right side.......its marked on top.....1918 DWM and its an all matching...........I saw some photos of early commercial lugers that didn't have proof marks.?...so the mystery deepens I guess......could it be a 1918 Commercial model.????....anyway...I appreciate the help.....Hans Fischer
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansfischer007 View Post
could it be a 1918 Commercial model.????.....Hans Fischer
If it has a date on the chamber, it isn't a commercial.
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
siegersallee
User

Hans,

If you don't mind my asking where did you come by the 1918 DWM?
Would you give a price range?

Richard
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
hansfischer007
User

Default 1918 DWM photos

OK Guys...Hope these come thru ....The photo of the right grip just doesn't really show how worn it is......but this pistol has seen a lot of use.....anyway..let me know your thoughts......Thanks..Hans Fischer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8254.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	27130  

Name:	100_8251.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	27131  

Name:	100_8249.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	27132  

Name:	100_8252.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	27133  

Unread 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
alanint
User

The right side "scallop" above where the proofs should be is misshapen, leading me to believe this side of the pistol was "scrubbed" to eliminate the proofs, for some reason, then an old reblue to cover things up.
The proofs WERE there, but now they are gone.
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
hansfischer007
User

Smile No Proofs.?

I took another photo of the right side....and can't see where it would be misshapen.?.....running my finger over it....I can feel the sharp edge....so its a mystery.......would anyone hazard a guess as to why proof marks would have been removed off a 1918 DWM.?...and all the other marks are still there.........its a good looking pistol....actually better than the photos show.........and Im quite happy with it....just have a "mystery" to figure out..........whoever owned this really put it to use........not just casual shooting......this looks like a pistol that went thru all the WW1 years.........I value everyones opinion and appreciate you taking the time to answer as always....Hans Fischer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_8255.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	27134  

The following member says Thank You to hansfischer007 for your post:
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
hansfischer007
User

Cool Proof Marks and old memory

Got to thinking about absence of proof marks.....many years ago...back in the dark ages....approx.late 50s....I had a 1918 DWM and it also did not have proof marks on the right side..??/...so there must be a reason somewhere......and can't believe my luck to wind up with another 1918 DWM with no proofs again.....as the olde saying goes......"bet theres a story there somewhere"........guess we will never know........Hans Fischer
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello , I have a 1918 dwm too. the proof marks should be crowned J S S and an eagle. I agree with alanint it does appear to have been buffed but very subtly. I do see some scallop deformation but its only if I squint and hold my tounge 33 degrees to the left. If thats not the case I wonder if it didnt make it to the inspectors but made it out of the factory. interesting thankyou for sharing this. one last thing is there an eagle on the barrel where one should be?
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugersrkewl for your post:
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
hansfischer007
User

Default Proof Marks...??

I Love your descriptions..!!...and I guess it will remain a mystery....now as to your question about Eagle....dont see one...however underneath the barrel is what appears to be the letter M...underneath the serial #...this M also is on the front frame...right above the trigger guard....again ..underneath the serial #....does this have any significance...??....Im not sure what M would stand for.?...your help is appreciated.......Regards....Hans Fischer
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansfischer007 View Post
I Love your descriptions..!!...and I guess it will remain a mystery....now as to your question about Eagle....dont see one...however underneath the barrel is what appears to be the letter M...underneath the serial #...this M also is on the front frame...right above the trigger guard....again ..underneath the serial #....does this have any significance...??....Im not sure what M would stand for.?...your help is appreciated.......Regards....Hans Fischer
Is it an "M" or an "m"? If it is a lower case "m" it is part of the serial number.
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
The right side "scallop" above where the proofs should be is misshapen...
Yes, it does appear to be extended...But I would be more concerned with the serial #'s on the opposite side; there does not appear to be any halos...and the font doesn't look quite right (that might be just me)...and the tooling marks on the receiver just behind the the 4-digit serial are distinct, but they disappear where the number is stamped...Looks like a scrub in that area too...Maybe...

And poorly fitting grips, as noted elsewhere...(Around top 'point' and mag button)...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
alanint
User

Exactly, the scallop was "cleaned up" after being partly removed when the side of the upper receiver was machined down to remove the proofs. Unfortunately, the effort to restore the scallop resulted in a misshapen lower radius, which although slight, is noticeable.

There are also a couple of "ticks" in the metal where the deepest part of the proofs were not entirely machined away. Another indicator is that the ejector sits at, or slightly above the surface of the receiver, where they usually sit slightly below this surface.
This was neatly done, then reblued long ago. The purpose for all this effort is a mystery.

I own a beater Colt 1911 made in 1918. Someone ground off the "Model of 1911, US Army" from the slide and the "Property, US Army" from the frame, possibly thinking that the goverment could appear at any moment and reclaim their property. This may be the case with this pistol, perhaps kept and not turned in by a German soldier after WW1 who was seeking "plausible deniability" should he be caught with it?
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

First off, there were acceptance stamps and then there are proof markings, each done at different times, so it is unlikely that some are missing.

You can pick up Datig or Jones for very cheap, they tell all about suffix markings, or scores of folks on here.

In other words, if a suffix, any Luger books would have an explanation for them, and I think the FAQ does...

Take this new Luger and learn everything you can about it.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
tjordan
User

I also have a 1918 DWM Luger with the same example all numbers match inside and out but there are no stampings on the right side as you discribed above . I did notice that when I remove the slide under the barrell it has a few markings that look like an N with a circle around it to the left of the N looks like a (z) and to the right a (1 ) and above the N right top is what looks like a J also.On the frame inside the gun where the pin comes out to remove the cover plate there is a flat piece on the frame with some additional markings that also have the N circled with a 3 below right of the N top left is a 5 which is the last digit of the serial looks like a T R botton left of the N and top Right looks like a Vf where the V has to line like a F on the right side. Hope this did not confuse any body
tjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
tjordan
User

That is great info much appreciated
tjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

if you figure out what all the other internal letters and numbers are let me know please
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,553 Times in 953 Posts

All the internal marks are inspector marks. They are present on most lugers and really meaninless although I am sure some study them. Bill