LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
zombeer
User

Default ejector problems

Took my new luger to the range. Shot a few mags worth of white box winchester 9mm without issue. Maybe the 5th magazine in I had an empty shell fail to eject and lodge in the barrel. It took some work to get the magazine out but once I did and pulled back the toggle, the shell came out without issue.

I tried a few more magazines worth and had the same issue 2 or 3 more times. I managed to get the shell out each time.

I tried using less rounds in the magazine with mixed results. Not sure if the magazine spring might be an issue. (the thing is incredibly strong)

Did I buy a "lemon" luger or is this an easy fix? I took the gun home, field stripped it, and oiled it. I haven't shot it since then, but I'll be shooting it again tomorrow night. Is there anything I should look for while shooting or anything I should try prior to shooting?

Thank you for any help or advice.
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Doing a very good clean and lube on an "unknown" pistol is always mandatory. Look at the extractor in the breechblock. It is very easy for "crud" to form in the extractor groove, and not let it function correctly. Also, the extractor tips may be broken so that it is hit and miss on extraction. Also, the extractor spring may be worn out and has lost enough tension to keep the extractor to function properly.

There are many other things, but this is where I would start.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
zombeer
User

Cleaned and lubed it last night. Scraped out the crud in the extractor. Sprayed under extractor and lots of crud came out. I figured that would do the trick.

I brought the gun to the range today. Loaded magazine, pulled back toggle, released toggle and.... BANG!!!!!! Gun fired without the trigger being pulled!!!! Scared the bejeezus out of me!

Fired the rest of the magazine without issue. Reloaded the gun, carefully released the toggle, fired a few rounds, and same extractor issue after 5 rounds. Same for next 2 mags.

Tried loading only 3 rounds and gun jammed after 2nd round.

I love this gun and I've wanted a luger for as long as I can remember.... but I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow and if they can't offer a reasonable fix, I'm going to have to.... return my luger.
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Good decision to have the seller correct the problem. If it were yours I'd recommend the LugerDoc, but why? Let the dealer deal with it.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Good decision to have the seller correct the problem. If it were yours I'd recommend the LugerDoc, but why? Let the dealer deal with it.
dju

I agree 100%. You purchased this Luger in good faith, and the dealer should stand up to your/Luger problems.
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hopefully, your dealer can correct your problem. It sounds like your function problems usually occur toward the end of a full mag, so it may be that your mag spring and recoil spring are out of balance. I'd suggest trying different mags & ammo before giving up on this luger. TH
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
zombeer
User

So here's what happened:
I brought the gun into the shop yesterday and there just happened to be another luger guy there talking to the guy I bought it from. I told them about the extractor issues and the runaway round. They field stripped it and couldn't find any issues. I said it might be the magazine and pointed out how heavy the tension was.

The dealer borrowed the other guy's magazine (an original WW1) and tried them both out while me and the other guy talked lugers. The results were confusing... He used my mag first, fully loaded, and it fired with no issues. He then used the other guy's mag and the gun jammed. He then went back to mine and the gun jammed again.

The other guy has never had issues with his mag. One thing that we noticed when comparing the 2 mags was that his mag spring was flush while mine was about 1/16th of an inch below the lip, but this could be corrected if the spring was released with extra force. But that still didn't explain why the other mag didn't work. The issue seems to be the gun itself.

The final outcome was the dealer offering 2 options:
A. Return the gun for a full refund
or B. Send the gun to the store's gunsmith so he can take a look at it and hopefully figure it out.

I chose the gunsmith because I love the gun and I've wanted one as long as I can remember. If it were a newer gun I would take the refund, but it's not like lugers are growing on trees and I'm not ready to give up on this one.
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Greg B.
User

Hi Zombeer,

Did the gunsmith get your Luger working again?

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
Hi Zombeer,

Did the gunsmith get your Luger working again?

Greg B.

What he said.....I am always interested in what cures a malfunctioning Luger.