LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
KS750
User

Default Stuck in L.A.

Hi,

it might be a bit strange to post a thing like this here, but maybe someone can help.

My Dad is on a business trip to the States (he is building exhibit booths) and his car (wich he has been provided with by a friend) has broken down entirely (defektive motor) in Los Angeles and Ford says it won�´t be repaired until two weeks.
You might say no problem - rent a new one and ride - but someone told him that it is impossible to rent a car like that in the whole country!

The issue is the trailer coupling which has to be a special "heavy duty" model with a bigger than standard ball on it (there must be 2" and 2 5/16" couplings) and that the car goes from L.A. to Florida.

Now every car rental office says that the problem is the insurance or so.

I�´m completely uninformed about legal restriction in the USA but "USA" and "impossible" don�´t quite fit to my vocabulary.

Has anyone got an idea how to get hands on a car like that - really quick?

An Adress or any hint would help.

Regards, Christoph.
KS750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
SteveM
User

Maybe something like this:

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=cargovan
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
KS750
User

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just phoned my dad (kicked him right out of bed - nine hours back...my fault).
He already had contact to U-Haul and they told him there was no possibility to find such a car somewhere in the States.
But it was a local office so I�´ll try to phone the Main office in L.A.

Thanks so far - if there are any alternatives I�´d be glad if you let me know!
Unread 03-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If he tells the rental agency that he is willing to rent a car or van for two weeks if they will install the proper tow ball (purchased from local auto parts store) I bet that they will install it for him, although he may have to pay extra for it. If so, I would be sure to keep the ball assy, when I return the car. TH
Unread 03-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

I agree with tom, not sure the big deal? Any of the larger U-Haul trucks have tow assemblies. What is needed that is "extra" or special? I think there is a langauge issue involved? No offense, but the wrong words is making it appear more difficult to the U-Haul guy. If it is just a size differnce in a ball, then it could be welded on or simply go to a auto parts store and buy one. My feeling is that the assemblly itself must be brokena nd they are ordering the new part?

Then another u-haul truck should work?

Unless this is a special size that your friend has? But then you could reweld the correct US size on the trailer itself?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
KS750
User

Wow, thank you guys for helping me out!

About exchanging the ball/ hitch they say it is not possible because the balls are already welded on and rewelding it yourself could make you end up picking up the litter on the side of a road somewhere in Nevada.
As I can see on the U-Haul Website they offer the proper ballsize for sale with assembly-service! So I don�´t have a clue why there is such a problem to this!

Well, to get to the point: I�´ve sorted out about 12 rental offices between L.A. and Vandenberg, mailed them to my aunt in Lompoc and she is going to call them one by one (reducing the phone bill for me..).

If there is not one that can take care of the Problem, it would kind of destroy my "American Dream" (man, you get free refills and a guy at the supermarket fills your shoppingbags - a car can�´t be the big deal...).

Thanks again, Christoph.

P.S.: Didn�´t wanted to sound too sarcastic - I�´m just envyous (about the refills...)
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Herb
User

Rent a Chevrolet Tahoe or GMC Yukon, both come with a trailer tow package installed but he will have to get the hitch insert and the correct ball for it, that should be about $40-50 or so. I have a Yukon and the hitch assembly so I know it works to tow my travel trailer. Should be no problem.
Unread 03-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
KS750
User

Hi again,

it seems the problem is solved!
My Dad just called and told me that one of the dealers on the list was able to provide him with a car to fit his needs.
He still had to call about half a dozen to get where he is now but it all worked out fine in the end.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Regards,

Christoph.