LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #1
heysox
New User

Default Feeding Issue

I took a friend shooting so she could try out her late Granddad's bring home Luger. It's an early (1913) Erfurt. The magazine seems period correct but has a different serial number, which is not unusual for military firearms. (I'm certainly no expert). I'm a Luger noobie, but experienced shooter/enthusiast for many decades. The magazine was loaded and has probably been so for decades, as the rounds were tarnished. The Luger (I had previously stripped and cleaned it) fired off the entire mag with no issues. I reloaded it with a mag of Aguila 115 gr. ammo. It would not feed at all. The top round nose dived below the feed ramp. I tried a single round in the mag and that fed just fine into the chamber. I loaded the mag fully and the Luger went through all the rounds with no nose diving or issues. Past experience has taught me that many if not most feeding issues are magazine related. I suggested new magazine springs. She only has the one magazine, so I could not positively say it's a magazine issue, but it seems very likely. Internet research indicates that there are square and non-square mag springs. Any way of knowing that without taking the mag apart? I don't have access to it and wanted to get her the springs as a surprise. Any thoughts from the Luger brain trust? What is the best source for new mag springs? I am sure that there is more than one modern maker. I will check Youtube for videos on swapping out the springs. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240305_130800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	89124  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240305_130849.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	89126  

heysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,690 Posts

The magazine is not "period correct", it should have a wood base, not aluminum (which is most likely from the 1920's )
Unread Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #3
heysox
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
The magazine is not "period correct", it should have a wood base, not aluminum (which is most likely from the 1920's )
Thanks for the clarification. I freely admit my minimal knowledge of Luger minutia. Is there a clue as to the type of mag spring it takes?
heysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #4
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Order yourself a Mac-gar brand magazine.
They are readily available in nickel or blue.

That very old magazines spring is probably a little tired.
Leaving magazines full for long periods of time reduces the spring strength, too.
I leave all of them empty for storage.

Make sure you are using FMJ 115gr Target loads like Winchester or PPU.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote