LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Lugers down under
User

Default 1920 Commercial, help with numbers

I have just received a 1920 Commercial which I purchased in December while on one of my visits to the USA.
At the time of purchase, I did not have much opportunity to examine the gun closely and the purchase was a bit "hit or miss"

Commercial lugers are very rare in New Zealand and have always wanted one to go together with a excellent 1920's commercial holster, spare mag, tool and original German manual that I have already.

Having now received the gun and having stripped it and cleaned what seemed like 80 years of caked on grease, what did I find but an absolute perfect Luger. I seriously doubt if it was ever fired much. There is no wear on the cams, the rear toggle fulcrum point on the rear of the frame above the lanyard ring has no wear and the barrel is pristeen.
Chamber is undated and the toggle is DWM.

The manufacturing quality of the Luger is that of the 1906 period DWM quality.

It is all matching numbers, four digit serial number 34XX suffix M. C/N proofs in the correct places and stamped "Germany" on the right hand front side of the receiver. Calibre is 7.65mm with a 3 & 5/8th" barrel which has matching serial number and suffix and C/N proof.
Safety lever is stamped Gesichert and extractor Geladen on LH side.

Magazine is original plated steel with wooden bottom and no numbers or marks whatsoever.

Holster is the same as the one shown on the bottom of page 266 of Benders' book and the manual is the same as the one shown on top of page 48 of Benders' book. The holster has no makers name or marks.

I would be interested to learn if anyone knows what year this Luger was manufactured and any thing else that I should know about it.

I know that 1920 commercial lugers are common in the USA but for us down under it is great to have one in the collection.

Regards

Murray
Unread 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Murray,

Congratulations on what sounds like a very nice Alphabet Commercial Luger and accessories. The serial number and m suffix puts manufacture date early in 1924, by the chart in Still's Weimar Lugers.

You provide a very interesting perspective that a common gun here is uncommon and desirable somewhere else.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Lugers down under
User

Thank you Dwight,
Yes, I see the chart on page 15 of Jan's book. Maybe I should spend more time reading the text and less time drooling over the photos of Lugers.
Yes, you are also correct about one mans junk another mans fortune,
I have seen many hundreds of Lugers here in New Zealand but I have never seen another 1920 Commercial before. I have recenly learned that another Luger collector in the upper North Island does also have one.
Seems there are more Borchardts than 1920 commercials here.
Regards
Murray