LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Choosing who to vote for... (LONG)

I know there are supposed to be many in this country who have not yet made their decision on who to vote for the office of President of the USA, but I doubt there are many that frequent this board who have not yet made up their mind.

But in the event your choice is NOT Senator John McCain, I would like to share this letter that was shared with me.

If you choose to respond to this posting, please do so with LOGIC, not rants... not name calling... failure to follow the forum decorum rules about attacks on members will not be tolerated and I will nuke (not censor) your post. Respond with logic, and your post will be left for all to read.

If we are nothing else on this forum, we have a reputation for being well mannered, and civilized... step out of that definition, and the moderator hammer will fall swiftly... Speak your mind honestly, and with good manners and you have to opportunity to share your political beliefs where hundreds if not thousands can read them.

Here is the letter I am sharing with you... the facts speak for themselves...
=======================================
(This is an impassioned letter from a 'nobody.' But he gives his personal information at the end.)
Dear Friends:
My name is Joe Porter. I live in Champaign, Illinois. I'm 46 years old, a born-again Christian, a husband, a father, a small business owner, a veteran, and a homeowner. I don't consider myself to be either conservative or liberal, and I vote for the person, not Republican or Democrat. I don't believe there are 'two AmericaĆ¢??s ' - but that every person in this country can be whomever and whatever they want to be if they'll just work to get there - and nowhere else on earth can they find such opportunities. I believe our government should help those who are legitimately downtrodden, and should always put the interests of America first.

The purpose of this message is that I'm concerned about the future of this great nation. I'm worried that the silent majority of honest, hard-working, tax-paying people in this country have been passive for too long. Most folks I know choose not to involve themselves in politics. They go about their daily lives, paying their bills, raising their kids, and doing what they can to maintain the good life. They vote and consider doing so to be a sacred trust. They shake their heads at the political pundits and so-called 'news', thinking that what they hear is always spun by whom ever is reporting it. They can't understand how elected officials can regularly violate the public trust with pork barrel spending
We are in the unique position in this country of electing our leaders. It's a privilege to do so. I've never found a candidate in any election with whom I agreed on everything. I'll wager that most of us don't even agree with our families or spouses 100% of the time. So when I step into that voting booth, I always try to look at the big picture and cast my vote for the man or woman who is best qualified for the job. I've hired a lot of people in my lifetime, and essentially that's what an election is - a hiring process. Who has the credentials? Whom do I want working for me? Whom can I trust to do the job right?

I'm concerned that a growing number of voters in this country simply don't get it. They are caught up in a fervor they can't explain, and calling it 'change.'

'Change what?' I ask.

'Well, we're going to change America' they say.

'In what way?' I query.

'We want someone new and fresh in the White House', they exclaim.

'So, someone who's not a politician?' I ask.

'Uh, well, no, we just want a lot of stuff changed, so we're voting for Obama', they state.

'So the current system, the system of freedom and democracy that has enabled a man to grow up in this great country, get a fine education, raise incredible amounts of money and dominate the news and win his party's nomination for the White House - that system's all wrong?'

'No, no, that part of the system's okay - we just need a lot of change.'

And so it goes. 'Change we can believe in.'

Quite frankly, I don't believe that vague proclamations of change hold any promise for me. In recent months, I've been asking virtually everyone I encounter how they're voting. I live in Illinois, so most folks tell me they're voting for Barack Obama. But no one can really tell me why - only that he's going to change a lot of stuff. 'Change, change, change.' I have yet to find one single person who can tell me distinctly and convincingly why this man is qualified to be President and Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful nation on earth - other than the fact that he claims he's going to implement a lot of change.

We've all seen the emails about Obama's genealogy, his upbringing, his Muslim background, and his church affiliations. Let's ignore this for a moment. Put it all aside. Then ask yourself, 'What qualifies this man to be my president? That he's a brilliant orator and talks about change?'

CHANGE WHAT?

Friends, I'll be forthright with you - I believe the American voters who are supporting Barack Obama don't have a clue what they're doing, as evidenced by the fact that not one of them - NOT ONE of them I've spoken to can spell out his qualifications. Not even the most liberal media can explain why he should be elected. Political experience? Negligible. Foreign relations? Non-existent. Achievements? Name one. Someone who wants to unite the country? If you haven't read his wife's thesis from Princeton, look it up on the web. This is who is lining up to be our next First Lady?

The only thing I can glean from Obama's constant harping about change is that we're in for a lot of new taxes.

For me, the choice is clear. I've looked carefully at the two leading applicants for the job, and I've made my choice.

Here's a question - 'Where were you five and a half years ago? Around Christmas 2002. You've had five or six birthdays in that time. My son has grown from a sixth grade child to a high school graduate. Five and a half years is a good chunk of time. About 2,000 days. 2,000 nights of sleep. 6, 000 meals, give or take.'

John McCain spent that amount of time, from 1967 to 1973, in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp. When offered early release, he refused it. He considered this offer to be a public relations stunt by his captors, and insisted that those held longer than he should be released first. Did you get that part? He was offered his freedom, and he turned it down. A regimen of beatings and torture began.

Do you possess such strength of character? Locked in a filthy cell in a foreign country, would you turn down your own freedom in favor of your fellow man? I submit that's a quality of character that is rarely found, and for me, this singular act defines John McCain.

Unlike several presidential candidates in recent years whose military service is questionable or non-existent, you will not find anyone to denigrate the integrity and moral courage of this man. A graduate of Annapolis, during his Naval service he received the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. His own son is now serving in the Marine Corps in Iraq .

Barack Obama is fond of saying 'We honor John McCain's service...BUT...',

...which to me is condescending and offensive - because what I hear is, 'Let's forget this man's sacrifice for his country and his proven leadership abilities, and talk some more about change.'

I don't agree with John McCain on everything - but I am utterly convinced that he is qualified to be our next President, and I trust him to do what's right. I know in my heart that he has the best interests of our country in mind. He doesn't simply want to be President - he wants to lead America, and there's a huge difference. Factually, there is simply no comparison between the two candidates.

A man of questionable background and motives who prattles on about change can't hold a candle to a man who has devoted his life in public service to this nation, retiring from the Navy in1981 and elected to the Senate in1982.

Perhaps Obama's supporters are taking a stance between old and new. Maybe they don't care about McCain's service or his strength of character, or his unblemished qualifications to be President. Maybe 'likeability' is a higher priority for them than 'trust'. Being a prisoner of war is not what qualifies John McCain to be President of the United States of America - but his demonstrated leadership certainly DOES.

Dear friends, it is time for us to stand. It is time for thinking Americans to say, 'Enough.' It is time for people of all parties to stop following the party line. It is time for anyone who wants to keep America first, who wants the right man leading their nation, to start a dialogue with all their friends and neighbors and ask who they're voting for, and why.

There's a lot of evil in this world. That should be readily apparent to all of us by now. And when faced with that evil as we are now, I want a man who knows the cost of war on his troops and on his citizens. I want a man who puts my family's interests before any foreign country.

I want a President who's qualified to lead. I want my country back, and I'm voting for John McCain.

Phone: 760.434.1395

=====================

ladies and gentlemen, ... the floor is open for civilized discussion.
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

No argument here.....
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Larrys Lugers
User

Amen.....
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
BogeyB
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default McCain!

My wife and I voted for Sen. McCain yesterday. He was not my first choice, but I beleive he is the only choice now!

Mike and Ruthie
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
the gunman
User

There's not really a choice here. You want your GUNS AND YOUR GUN RIGHTS, to be able to keep your collection and its value . There is only ONE CHOICE McCain. Not saying he's right on all issues . BUT HE"S ON OUR SIDE. Hate to say what I really feel but I would be removed from this wonderful forum. Its truly amazing that we really can't say what's on our minds . Because now everything is politalical in correct like my spelling.
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Mauser720
User

Well, below is an open letter from the Executive Director of the Illinois State Rifle Association. Since Obama is the Senator from Illinois, one would suspect the author of this letter knows what he is talking about.

Mauser720 - Ron

Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson Issues Open Letter to Nation's Sportsmen Regarding Obama's History in the Illinois Senate

CHICAGO, Oct 15, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The following is the text of an open letter to the nation's hunters and sportsmen issued today by Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson:

Fellow Sportsman,
Hello, my name is Rich Pearson and I have been active in the firearm rights movement for over 40 years. For the past 15 years, I have served in the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association.

I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama's attitudes toward guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama.

Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate paints a very different picture. While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homes of gun owners to forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month.

Without a doubt, Barack Obama has proven himself to be an enemy of the law abiding firearm owner. At the same time, Obama has proven himself to be a friend to the hardened criminal. While a state senator, Obama voted 4 times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of home and family.

Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding gun owner?

And speaking of friends, you can always tell a person by the company they keep. Obama counts among his friends the Rev. Michael Pfleger - a renegade Chicago priest who has openly called for the murder of gun shop owners and pro-gun legislators. Then there is his buddy Richard Daley, the mayor of Chicago who has declared that if it were up to him, nobody would be allowed to own a gun. And let's not forget Obama's pal George Soros - the guy who has pumped millions of dollars into the UN's international effort to disarm law-abiding citizens.

Obama has shown that he is more than willing to use other people's money to fund his campaign to take your guns away from you. While a board member of the leftist Joyce Foundation, Barack Obama wrote checks for tens of millions of dollars to extremist gun control organizations such as the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence and the Violence Policy Center.

Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding gun owner?

By now, I'm sure that many of you have received mailings from an organization called "American Hunters and Shooters Association(AHSA)" talking about what a swell fellow Obama is and how he honors the 2nd Amendment and how you will never have to worry about Obama coming to take your guns. Let me make it perfectly clear - everything the AHSA says about Obama is pure hogwash. The AHSA is headed by a group of left-wing elitists who subscribe to the British view of hunting and shooting. That is, a state of affairs where hunting and shooting are reserved for the wealthy upper-crust who can afford guided hunts on exclusive private reserves. The AHSA is not your friend, never will be.

In closing, I'd like to remind you that I'm a guy who has actually gone nose to nose with Obama on gun rights issues. The Obama I know cannot even begin to identify with this nation's outdoor traditions. The Obama I know sees you, the law abiding gun owner, as nothing but a low-class lummox who is easily swayed by the flash of a smile and a ration of rosy rhetoric. The Obama I know is a stony-faced liar who has honed his skill at getting what he wants - so long as people are willing to give it to him.

That's the Barack Obama I know.

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. Founded in 1903, the ISRA has represented the interests of millions of law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

This press release was posted on PRnewswire.
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
policeluger
RIP

BOGEYB.....come on over, put about 500 pounds of moose in the freezer last month......
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

John, I voted against NoBama. John McCain is not the BEST choice..He is the only choice we have at present. Frankly, all politicians are liars and crooks. The Republicans have squandered the last 8 years, spent money that makes drunken Sailors look conservative an in gereral made a mockery of what true Repubilcans stand for. Sarah Palin is the only breath of fresh air to come out of this dismal campaign. Actually the whole affair disgusts me.
I honestly do not believe NoBama can get enough votes to prevail to the Presidency. It takes much more than young idiots and black people to elect a President. I still firmly believe Americans have not been dumbed down far enough...YET. NoBama is an empty suit..bought and paid for. A pretty face, a puppet on a string that is looking for a mandate to destroy America and remold it in his image, or the image of his handlers.
Kick back and relax. It won't happen this time.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
Unread 10-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I wish I were that confident.

Here in So. Fla. the number of middle aged whites with Obama paraphenalia on their cars is truly shocking. The libs are amazingly easy to manipulate since they have no core values or beliefs to anchor themselves with and will blow whichever way their beloved media and hollywood tells them to. (Who can forget the hilarious if it weren't so sad internet clip were this group went around to all the typical lib/green gatherings and conventions and amassed thousands of signatures on a petition to ban AIR or oxigen?)!

The country's media has overwhelmingly suported the left, running never-ending harrasing stories trying to destroy Sarah Palin and our party when they should have concentrated on the disturbing issues being proposed by their pet party and the disturbing past of many of its members.

I believe there is more than one member of this board who currently plan to vote for obama, as hard as this is to believe. Believe me, they are among us!! I've spoken to a number of people I though I knew who plan to do the same.

The media have SUCCESSFULLY managed to get the majority of the population to believe that the current economic situation is ALL George Bush's fault, when any thinking person knows it derives from easy spending and easy credit plus PC social programs that date back to the Carter administration and culminate with today's shameful congressional lineup.
Make no mistake, we are in serious danger right now and a complacent attitude is not what I can personally allow myself. Get out and help campaign. Hand out flyers, go to your nearest McCain HQ and ask how you can help. It is the only way to counter the millions pouring into obama coffers from the middle east and elsewhere.
Believe me, enough people have been educated in our leftist public school system and indoctrinated by our leftist media to turn this thing on us.
We have not lost our country yet, but we are right on the brink of a precipise and it is only a matter of time unless we all DO something!!!!
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
alvin
User

There is one thing that I have not figured out yet. Both candidates claim lower or same tax. Well, this country is running under trillions of deficit, losing billions in "free trade" every month. Grandfathers are spending grandsons money. What will be their magic? Just print green legal tender and export debt?
Unread 10-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Russ
User

John Thanks for posting this. I think that it is a very good eye opener...

Russ
Unread 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
tenbears
User

The media had Reagan down in the polls right up to election day we all know what happen he won by a land slide.
Unread 10-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Just like the Busch - Kerry election. The libs had Kerry everything but declared the winner on election day, until after 5PM when the Republicans, who all WORK for a living were able to get to the polls.
I am amazed by the film of the early voting lines here. Overwhelmingly welfare cases or young ignorants who don't have a job to report to.
Unread 10-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
Heinz
User

John, thank you. An excellent post
Alvin, first, the President does NOT set the taxes, Congress does. The President can recommend a bill or veto one he does not like, but he does not have the power to levy taxes. That detail aside you make an excellent point. Someone must pay the piper. Usually it's the corporations who just pass it on; the rich who often can pass it on; and the middle class who pay the taxes and the passed on costs. Also the taking the hit are lower income groups who may pay little taxes but who the passed on costs hit the hardest.
Unread 10-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I think most folks are middle ground and going to either extreme, well, I just don't get it; the world isn't black and white to me....

My neighbor has a McCain sign in his yard and a hand written sign that says "no monkey buisness"..... If thats not racially motivated than I am unsure what else is. He's a nice guy, but its also one reason that many blacks want to see a man of color in charge. That said, looking at the facts, Bush has messed up our economy and I don't agree with the war, but as a MAN, he has my admiration, I have heard he treats military and secret service with honor and he has always had respect for people of color and women. I think he has done more for that in his 8 years than any other president by appointmenting folks on their MERITS, not their color or gender IMHO.

ed
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Mauser720
User

Ed -

Well said. Here's something I received from Brownell's, the gunsmith supplies company:

A Gun Owner's Political Backup Plan

It's barely a week before the election that determines the direction of our country for the next four years. If you believe the polls, the presidential race appears to favor an anti-gun candidate, and gun owners have good reason to be concerned. What's our backup plan? As head of the federal government, the President has a lot of power, but remember that Congress actually makes the laws we live by.

The outcomes of critical U.S. House and Senate races on Nov. 4 will be as important for the future of our Second Amendment rights as who wins the White House. Our votes-and our dollars-make a much larger impact in these races than the run for President. Even if the Presidential race doesn't go the way you want, you can still have plenty of influence on how our country is governed in the coming years. This also means that a crucial Congressional race in a different state may also have a huge impact on your Second Amendment rights.

A great example of a candidate who will vigorously represent gun owners everywhere is Jim Gilmore, running for U.S. Senate from Virginia. From his deep commitment to the NRA and fantastic service on its Board, we can tell you Jim will be a strong Second Amendment Senator. If Jim gets elected, we all win, regardless of where we live. We need people like Jim Gilmore in Congress - regardless of who wins the White House.

Many other good pro-gun House and Senate candidates are fighting tough races, as they put on a full-court press this week into the late hours of next Monday. They need our help. Something you can do today is make small donations to some of these Senate and House candidates (up to $2,300 for federal races). Pick the ones that represent your values and the way of life you want protected. They can accept donations from anyone anywhere in the country, and all of them have websites, like Jim Gilmore's www.jimgilmoreforsenate.com, where you can make your donation today. This is how we do it:

1. Review the Electoral Vote website to find close races.

a. Senate Races

b. House Races

2. Check the NRA's ranking of the candidates at www.NRAPVF.org

3. Find Senate and House candidates who will represent our firearms rights, and donate to their campaigns.

Please join us in taking positive action right now, while there's still time, before next Tuesday. Support pro-gun candidates for Congress, and help defend our gun-owning rights against possible negative fallout from the Presidential election.

Frank & Pete Brownell

Mauser720 - Ron
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

As for "Bush has messed up our economy..." this is probably correct in the limited context of his past unwillingness to veto outrageous spending by both parties. He must also be given credit for having been the only American politician over the past seven years to actually take steps to kick the economy in the ass and get it going. Sadly in his attempts at this he was successful only in the tax cuts. His attempts early on to reign-in Freddie Mac and Fannie May as well as really reform social security met with ridicule and demagoguery from the democrats and indifference from the Republicans.

Since democrats never change, it is my opinion that all the mess we are dealing with today one can lay square at the feet of the past Republican majority in both houses of Congress. They had the ability to curb and control Bill Clinton for six years and did a fairly decent job of it. When their party took the Whitehouse they acted like a bunch of fraternity boys on an endless drunken weekend. They got what they deserved in '06 and it had nothing to do with Bush and Iraq.
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #18
Imperial Arms
Banned

If I could vote in the US, I would vote Obama. My collection is important to me, and I do not think that the current firearm regulations will worsen after Obama wins. Maybe laws will be tightened for modern firearms which could be used in crimes, but there is no reason to change regulations for curio and relics.

For the sake of the people of the US and the entire world, I believe that an Obama administration would do a better job than compared to a McCain administration. That 'cowboy' Bush made a major mistake invading Iraq based on false and misleading intelligence and the reason of the invasion has has nothing to do with freedom and other wrong excuses - in my opinion, America does not need another cowboy or somebody with a Rambo attitude and a 'pig wearing lipstick' without knowing how to deal with international issues - Paline does not have the strength and intelligence of other female politicians in the world and I doubt that she will be respected in the international community - she is all mouth and no substance. I acknowledge that Rice is a woman, however, she is Bush's parrot on international affairs. If she had followed a similar path taken by General Powell, I would have supported her role in government.

Sadly, the Bush administration has spoiled the reputation and creditability of the US which explains why many countries now dislike the US. Furthermore, look at the mess of the US economy which was created by the Bush's administration lose and careless economic policies and I do not see a bright future ahead with McCain in the drivers seat.

I might receive many negative remarks, but this is the fact at the moment. You are paying the price of a previous terrible administration.

Albert
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
Heinz
User

Albert, I vigorously disagree with you on almost all of your points, although I respect your rights to your opinion.
We have not had a major terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11/2001. I propose that is largely due to President Bush chosing to fight them in Iraq and Afganistan.
Govenor Palin has the highest approval rating in her home state of any sitting govenor, 70% I believe. And that is among the people who know her best. Referring to her as a "pig wearing lipstick" is out of character for you.
Having watched gun owners rights erode in this country under one liberal democratic administration after another, I think the premise that collectors rights would not be affected is seriosly flawed. Gun shows and C&R lcenses would be among the first things to go. You need to review Mr. Obama's actual record in the gun control area. He holds no exceptions for "curios and relics." He is opposed to all military style firearms.
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
Conny
User

With Obama as President, Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, Harry Reid as Senate majority leader, the 3 of them Liberal without doubt and wanting to ban guns, I can assure you, guns will be banned (that is to include Curios and Relics, single shot rifles and shotguns, all handguns and black powder firearms).
Harry Reid may be a gun owner but he will tow the Party line.
The choice is clear for me.
Closed Thread