LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-29-2002, 04:49 PM   #1
JP
User

Post BYF 41

I have a P08 41 byf that looks perfect. Very little wear, no pitting or rust ...looks like a two year old gun rather than 60 years or so... It has all consistent markings on every visible part (#33) several tiny stamps with the tiny number 135 under it. The stamps look much like the eagle in the ID marks section on the Tech info page. There are three eagels in a row on the right side of the barrel. Under the barrel the serial no. appears. Under that number it is a stamp 8.82 in tiny numbers. About 15years ago I had it appraised at Navy Arms a gun dealer in Ridgefield NJ.The appraiser looked at it and said it was in great great great shape one of the best he had recenly seen (back then). It drew alot of attention that day. He offered me $1,400 said that was the best he could do. I almost sold it but the appraiser looked liked he really wanted it and I suspected at the time he knew of a purchaser that he could sell it to. I never sold it. This luger was given to me by my father who was a WWII vet. It was preserved in a piece of parachute from the war and stored in a moth ball trunk for 40 or so years until I removed it and put it in a gun case. I know he took it home with him after his tour in Germany. As you can tell I know nothing about lugers could someone tell me a little more about it value etc.... Thanks JP

PS holster is an open type model kind of scratched up though not consis tent with the condition of the weapon
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 04:59 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Sounds very nice JP!

Is it possible to post detailed pictures?

Have you had it all the way apart, or when the gun dealer looked at it, did he look at all the areas where it should be marked with the serial number?

I'd be interested in seeing pictures and any story of your Dads Luger, as i am putting together a booklet of guns brought back from the war or assorted wars, have about 20 stories so far...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Leon DeSpain
User

JP,

The E/135 stamps indicate that you have a somewhat scarce variation of the byf41. In late '41 the Heer changed the Mauser waffenampt stamp from E/655 to E/135. According to Jan Still there were about 4000 byf41 Lugers so marked. I believe that estimate has gone up to about 5000 by now. Then all of the byf42 production was marked with the E/135.

A price of $1400 15 years ago was an enormous price, even for that variation. A standard top condition byf41 is going for $1300 to $1500 today, at least in my experience. The E/135 would add value to that but how much depends on how bad a collector wanted that variation. I would say the added value would be in the $200 to $300 range but that is just my opinion and what I would consider paying.

I have no idea about the holster. If it is a hard shell that has had the lid removed, then it is worth very little. If it is a shoulder holster, then it would have some value and more if it has any markings which very few did.

As always, price is determined by condition, condition and condition.

BTW, the 8.82 is the measurement of the bore diameter.

Best Regards, Leon
Leon DeSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 08:27 PM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

I think Leon is pretty much right on, if the internal numbers are matching. Is there a takedown tool in the holster and if so, what is the waffenamt, if any? The only other questions I would have are 1) what is the grip material (wood or plastic) & 2) what does the magazine look like (fxo? aluminum base? plastic base). I have seen prices range from $1200 to $2100, just for the pistol. The higher price was for a pistol with plastic grips and a black plastic bottom fxo magazine.

Sounds like a nice Luger - I'd keep it!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
JP
User

I have two magazines with it both are stamped fxo and have a plastic base. As for the grips they are brown near in such good condition I can't tell if its plastic or wood (Think they are wood) The pistol looks just like the one on the Luger Forum page when you first sign on (only mine looks a little better I will post pictures as soon as I purchase a new digital camera ( This week or next) PS I think the Two Mags are stamped with a small eagle next to the fxo markings..If this thing was ever apart it was back in the early 1940's cause I never did and as I said it was in mothballs for about 40 or so years. It is however, clean as a whistle in as far as I could see....The holster is light brown soft leather open top with a long thin strap attached to it not nearly in as good of shape as the Luger.. JP Thanks for your posts!
JP is offline   Reply With Quote