LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Rod WMG
User

Default Blue and stainless

This doesn't apply just to Lugers, but all guns. It was, however, inspired by the recent thread elsewhere about the quality of the stainless Lugers as opposed to the traditional, vintage ones.

I like the looks of blue and have about half blued guns, but I prefer the "ease" of stainless for cleaning and because it just seems to me not to show "wear marks" as readily as blued guns do. All my guns get shot (the real purpose of any firearm it seems to me) . A gun which is easy to keep looking relatively nice is a plus I think.

I've read a couple of times lately that manufacturers like stainless because it is cheaper for them to produce those guns than blued ones. Does anyone have any insider info on that subject? Is that a valid assertion? Obviously, the bluing step elimination would save money, but is that the manufacturers' reason, or is it that the public prefers stainless? Something else?

To be honest, while it may be perfectly true that cost cutting is a motive, at least one poster (another board) seems to use that statement to bolster his preference for blue. He's a real cyber-friend of mine and I may be judging him too harshly.

What say ye, firearms experts, is Freedom Arms, as an example, cheaping out by offering only stainless? (I know the well-heeled gents here don't have any problems with financing purchases , but there are those on other boards who consider the FA sixguns too expensive to buy and mentioning "cheap" and that brand in the same sentence would be laughable to them.) Reportedly, FA maintains simply that stainless is better, refusing to even consider producing blued guns.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Rod,

On 12/22/02 member DuaneD reported a conversation with Mr. R.E. Romo, head of Orimar (ne�© Aimco), manufacturer of stainless steel Lugers. I quote here the pertinent part of the post:

"First question as to why did he chose stainless steel vs gun metal for his American Eagle? Factors such as easy to machine, use of casting, durable finish, all factors but the main and overriding factors was he wanted to create something new that would stand by itself and not be just a copy. He did some market research and it confirmed his belief that a new production blued gun would not only be compared to guns that had much hand work etc but would be priced as a competitor {used po8 vs new}. Therefore the decision to go SS was first to make something that would sell, and a copy to compete with the original would not do that."

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default I Suppose...

You have to only consider the number of Lugers that have been chromed or nickel plated over the years to realize that there must be a lot of people who like the look of a bright shiny Luger, as well as other guns. A stainless version will fit right in. The appeal of stainless only adds to the equation...
Unread 06-26-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Rod WMG
User

Stainless has become pretty commonplace in production of revolvers (which I buy more than anything else) and I really like it. I lost a Smith Mountain Gun from my holster once. It happened to fall on its side onto a large half buried rock. That broke my heart as the gun was then new and I'd paid top dollar for it. The marred area is visible if you look for it, but isn't real bad. I'd hate to think how that drop would have affected an outstanding Thor restoration, or even an ordinary blued gun of some sort. It's likely the blemish could be polished out on this one with a little care to blend the "repair" in with the rest of the gun. Needless to say that wouldn't work on a blued gun.

I really like factory nickel finishes if done well. I love them on the Smith N frames, for example. But I really hate to see them as aftermarket applications on a firearm like a Luger. Would I buy such a Luger? Yes, but I'd prefer it be left alone.
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Rod WMG
User

Wow, an exciting story, tac! Sounds like your pard really knew his stuff. Too bad no one ever told him the experts say that ammo isn't good on humans. All those explosives could have really ruined his day if employed. Tell him I said, "Good shooting and well done!"

It both saddens and infuriates me that you have to deactivate your wonderful M29. If you move can you bring it with you and restore it?
Unread 06-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Rod WMG
User

tac, that description didn't allow me time to go and weep. I had to begin before I finished reading. And to think you had to pay for all that criminal mischief!

But as much as I mourn with you the loss of your firearms, I am truly saddened to learn the fate of your friend. Hell will be pretty hot for those who perpetrate such crimes!